Problems with Modem

I am running WIndows XP and I am having multiple problems. But my main
concern is my cable modem. It is a COM21 DOXport. My computer freezes up and
I have to restart. But when i try to restart it freezes again at the main log
on page. The only way I have been able to get it to work is to boot (under
the screen where you can choose safe mode..etc) with the last known good
configuration, and reinstall the modem all over again. ANY help would be
appreciated as I am a college student, and I really need my computer. Thanks
in advance

please define the question.....

your cable modem is external, correct and shouldn't require installing on
the computer.

should just require setting your internet options to auto detect.

please explain your system and problem a little better.

EasyFeelings
A+
MCSA

Most colleges have an IT department that will help students
and there is usually a computer club with plenty of geeks.

"EasyFeelings" <no@way.com> wrote in message
| please define the question.....
|
| your cable modem is external, correct and shouldn't
require installing on
| the computer.
|
| should just require setting your internet options to auto
detect.

| please explain your system and problem a little better.
|
| EasyFeelings
| A+
| MCSA

The modem is external. It does automatically detect it, but my problem is
that it makes the computer freeze up, and I have to go through the process
over again every time I have to reboot. After it freezes it will not start
again unless I start under last known good configuration and unplug the
modem. I then hook it up again for auto-detect, and it will do fine for a
while. Then it will freeze up again. I don't know what other info you need,
but I will be glad to supply it.

"EasyFeelings" wrote:

> please define the question.....
>
> your cable modem is external, correct and shouldn't require installing on
> the computer.
>
> should just require setting your internet options to auto detect.
>
> please explain your system and problem a little better.
>
> EasyFeelings
> A+
> MCSA

I go to a small technical college. We don't have those resources. I am
usually the one people come to for help with their computers. But- I too am
still learning, and most of it it self-taught, with help from newsgroups and
forums like these.

"Jim Macklin" wrote:

> Most colleges have an IT department that will help students
> and there is usually a computer club with plenty of geeks.
>

> "EasyFeelings" <no@way.com> wrote in message
> | please define the question.....
> |
> | your cable modem is external, correct and shouldn't
> require installing on
> | the computer.
> |
> | should just require setting your internet options to auto
> detect.
> |
> | please explain your system and problem a little better.
> |
> | EasyFeelings
> | A+
> | MCSA

it sounds to me like you may just have a dying NIC.
i assume your modem connects through the NIC.
do you have grief with the computer when the computer is NOT connected to
the modem?

Not as bad, it crashes every once and a while, but not like it is now.