What is a safe temp for you CPU to be at?

I'm not sure what are a good range of temps.

Varies with make and model, both Intel and AMD list thermal
limits for their chips.

AMD tends to run hotter.

50 ° C or lower for the CPU is desired.

"David Mills" <davidmillsjd@yahoo.com> wrote in message
| I'm not sure what are a good range of temps.

Hi, as the man said it depends upon the CPU, but you must also take into
account the ambient temperature, type of case, fans, number of peripherals
installed into the case. One other thing, the latest AMD64 Winchester CPU's
actually run cooler than the equivalent Intels...
ChrisC
> Varies with make and model, both Intel and AMD list thermal
> limits for their chips.
>
> AMD tends to run hotter.
>
> 50 ° C or lower for the CPU is desired.

> "David Mills" <davidmillsjd@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> | I'm not sure what are a good range of temps.

Little of what you have said has to do with the "safe operation temperature
of the CPU"!

The safe temp is all in the design parameters of the CPU, which is
controlled by the manufacturer.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

> Little of what you have said has to do with the "safe operation
> temperature of the CPU"!
>
> The safe temp is all in the design parameters of the CPU, which is
> controlled by the manufacturer.
>

> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban

Ok, I am running that AIDA32 utility and it says my CPU is running at 70
degrees C.
I have an AMD 64 3000.

AIDA32 is obsolete, the temps it reports on an AMD 64 may
not be correct.
EVEREST from www.lavalys.com is the current version of the
program. 70 is hot, you might want to check the fit of the
heat sink and the air flow in the case.

| "Richard Urban" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote
in message
| > Little of what you have said has to do with the "safe
operation
| > temperature of the CPU"!
| >
| > The safe temp is all in the design parameters of the
CPU, which is
| > controlled by the manufacturer.
| >

| > --
| > Regards,
| >
| > Richard Urban
| >

| Ok, I am running that AIDA32 utility and it says my CPU is
running at 70
| degrees C.
| I have an AMD 64 3000.

thanks man...!

> AIDA32 is obsolete, the temps it reports on an AMD 64 may
> not be correct.
> EVEREST from www.lavalys.com is the current version of the
> program. 70 is hot, you might want to check the fit of the
> heat sink and the air flow in the case.
>

> "David Mills" <davidmillsjd@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> |
> | "Richard Urban" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote
> in message
> | > Little of what you have said has to do with the "safe
> operation
> | > temperature of the CPU"!
> | >
> | > The safe temp is all in the design parameters of the
> CPU, which is
> | > controlled by the manufacturer.
> | >

> | > --
> | > Regards,
> | >
> | > Richard Urban
> | >

> | Ok, I am running that AIDA32 utility and it says my CPU is
> running at 70
> | degrees C.
> | I have an AMD 64 3000.

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

Jim Macklin wrote:
> AIDA32 is obsolete, the temps it reports on an AMD 64 may
> not be correct.
> EVEREST from www.lavalys.com is the current version of the
> program. 70 is hot, you might want to check the fit of the
> heat sink and the air flow in the case.
>

> "David Mills" <davidmillsjd@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> |
> | "Richard Urban" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote
> in message
> | > Little of what you have said has to do with the "safe
> operation
> | > temperature of the CPU"!
> | >
> | > The safe temp is all in the design parameters of the
> CPU, which is
> | > controlled by the manufacturer.
> | >

> | > --
> | > Regards,
> | >
> | > Richard Urban
> | >

> | Ok, I am running that AIDA32 utility and it says my CPU is
> running at 70
> | degrees C.
> | I have an AMD 64 3000.

I am running a FX53 at about 35 degrees C.

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

CPU's have the maximum allowed temperature given by the manufacturer. What
twaddle you yap here, ambient temp, fans.......pfffttt..

http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/27375.pdf
page 8, 90C maximum die temperature for an Athlon XP. After that it's
meltdown, mind you before that temperature is ever reached, other components
in close proximity around the motherboard will die. Ceramic IC's can take
65C quite well, but plastic IC's can only make to 50C. Motherboards rarely
have ceramic IC's, also caps will fail long before then.

"Chris Catt" <cuke(nospam)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi, as the man said it depends upon the CPU, but you must also take into
> account the ambient temperature, type of case, fans, number of peripherals
> installed into the case. One other thing, the latest AMD64 Winchester
> CPU's actually run cooler than the equivalent Intels...
> ChrisC
> "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote in message
>> Varies with make and model, both Intel and AMD list thermal
>> limits for their chips.
>>
>> AMD tends to run hotter.
>>
>> 50 ° C or lower for the CPU is desired.
>>

>> --
>> The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
>> But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
>>

>> "David Mills" <davidmillsjd@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> | I'm not sure what are a good range of temps.

In my view 70C is to hot if it is a case temprature. The very max for case
temp should be 65C with an internal temp of 70 max.

Now, the typical signs of overtemp is instability and shutdown.

I strongly concur with Jim Macklin that you check your airflow, heatsink and
fan if the temp actually is 70C

Here is a post on amd's board (not from amd )
http://forums.amd.com/index.php?showtopic=11807

Here are some spec's
http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/30430.pdf

--
Jon Hildrum
DTS MVP
"Rick" <RickH40@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Jim Macklin wrote:
> > AIDA32 is obsolete, the temps it reports on an AMD 64 may
> > not be correct.
> > EVEREST from www.lavalys.com is the current version of the
> > program. 70 is hot, you might want to check the fit of the
> > heat sink and the air flow in the case.
> >

> > "David Mills" <davidmillsjd@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > |
> > | "Richard Urban" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote
> > in message
> > operation

> > CPU, which is

> > | Ok, I am running that AIDA32 utility and it says my CPU is
> > running at 70
> > | degrees C.
> > | I have an AMD 64 3000.
> > |

> I am running a FX53 at about 35 degrees C.

TRENDING THREADS