install an extra hard drive

i hav a 80 gig hard drive from a previous computer that was a storage drive
only.
i would like to install it on my new computer as a storage drive only.
if i use the ribbon cable i used on the old computer,betweeen the two
drives, will xp recognize the new drive?
i had to upgrade the bios on my old e machine running windows me
any pointers?
i would like to keep it as an internal drive if i can
thanks
3 answers Last reply
More about install extra hard drive

    Most if not all of the newer systems use 80 ribbon cabling between motherboard
    and the HD.Yours might be a 40 ribbon cable but they all end in a 40pin plug.The
    last time I installed a HD I was not paying too much attention to the cable and
    upon restart my BIOS screen notified me that I was using a 40 ribbon
    cable........the HD still worked just not at its rated 133 speed.
    peter
    "Johnny Outdoors" <JohnnyOutdoors@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >i hav a 80 gig hard drive from a previous computer that was a storage drive
    > only.
    > i would like to install it on my new computer as a storage drive only.
    > if i use the ribbon cable i used on the old computer,betweeen the two
    > drives, will xp recognize the new drive?
    > i had to upgrade the bios on my old e machine running windows me
    > any pointers?
    > i would like to keep it as an internal drive if i can
    > thanks

    thanks peter
    i opened up my case switched the 80 ribbon to a 40 ribbon and installed my
    slave hard drive that just contained pics and movie clips
    powered it up and xp instantly recognized it
    now i have all my pics
    thanks again
    the 80 ribbon would have thrown me a curve ball if you hadn't mentioned it
    off and running
    thanks again

    "peter" wrote:

    > Most if not all of the newer systems use 80 ribbon cabling between motherboard
    > and the HD.Yours might be a 40 ribbon cable but they all end in a 40pin plug.The
    > last time I installed a HD I was not paying too much attention to the cable and
    > upon restart my BIOS screen notified me that I was using a 40 ribbon
    > cable........the HD still worked just not at its rated 133 speed.
    > peter
    > "Johnny Outdoors" <JohnnyOutdoors@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >i hav a 80 gig hard drive from a previous computer that was a storage drive
    > > only.
    > > i would like to install it on my new computer as a storage drive only.
    > > if i use the ribbon cable i used on the old computer,betweeen the two
    > > drives, will xp recognize the new drive?
    > > i had to upgrade the bios on my old e machine running windows me
    > > any pointers?
    > > i would like to keep it as an internal drive if i can
    > > thanks

    yes you can do this add the old drive to your machine
    in case of any problems post again.

    --
    cinestar
    cinestar's Profile: http://forums.tech-arena.com/member.php?userid=2510