Will dual burners work winxp pro?

I have a Lite-on DVDRW SOHW-1213S DVD/CD burner, and a TDK CDRW4800B CD
burner installed under Windows XP Pro SP2.
Both burners worked fine under Windows 2000 and Windows 98.
Both use the same standard Windows driver. There is no driver upgrade from
the manufacturers.
When I click the recording tab under either one of the drives, and 'Enable
CD recording on this drive', Windows automatically disables CD recording on
the other drive.
I can burn to both using the standard CD burning software in Windows XP, and
Nero Express. However, if 'Enable CD burning' is checked on the TDK drive,
and I want to burn to the Lite-On drive, I have to check the box to enable
cd burning on that drive first before it will burn. Why won't WinXP allow
both drives the ability to burn at the same time? Is this a glitch in the
Windows driver? SP2? Does anyone know of a workaround?

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 15:53:15 -0600, mark lemon wrote:

> I have a Lite-on DVDRW SOHW-1213S DVD/CD burner, and a TDK CDRW4800B CD
> burner installed under Windows XP Pro SP2.
> Both burners worked fine under Windows 2000 and Windows 98.
> Both use the same standard Windows driver. There is no driver upgrade from
> the manufacturers.
> When I click the recording tab under either one of the drives, and 'Enable
> CD recording on this drive', Windows automatically disables CD recording on
> the other drive.
> I can burn to both using the standard CD burning software in Windows XP, and
> Nero Express. However, if 'Enable CD burning' is checked on the TDK drive,
> and I want to burn to the Lite-On drive, I have to check the box to enable
> cd burning on that drive first before it will burn. Why won't WinXP allow
> both drives the ability to burn at the same time? Is this a glitch in the
> Windows driver? SP2? Does anyone know of a workaround?

Yes, but... if using Nero software that you've upgraded for free from the
freebie included with the burner, it won't do both burners. If you purchase
the program, then you're set to go. At least that's how it worked out on my
system and that's the explanation I found in aHead's tech support pages.

I don't know if the same holds true for other free burning packages. Most
are tied to the unit they shipped with in one way or another so take that
into consideration if you run into trouble.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Thanks for the info. I also noticed in my OEM Nero manual that the Retail
version ONLY would allow the use of two burners. However, when I removed
Nero from my system and used only the Windows CD burning software, the same
problem ocurred.

> On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 15:53:15 -0600, mark lemon wrote:
>
>> I have a Lite-on DVDRW SOHW-1213S DVD/CD burner, and a TDK CDRW4800B CD
>> burner installed under Windows XP Pro SP2.
>> Both burners worked fine under Windows 2000 and Windows 98.
>> Both use the same standard Windows driver. There is no driver upgrade
>> from
>> the manufacturers.
>> When I click the recording tab under either one of the drives, and
>> 'Enable
>> CD recording on this drive', Windows automatically disables CD recording
>> on
>> the other drive.
>> I can burn to both using the standard CD burning software in Windows XP,
>> and
>> Nero Express. However, if 'Enable CD burning' is checked on the TDK
>> drive,
>> and I want to burn to the Lite-On drive, I have to check the box to
>> enable
>> cd burning on that drive first before it will burn. Why won't WinXP allow
>> both drives the ability to burn at the same time? Is this a glitch in
>> the
>> Windows driver? SP2? Does anyone know of a workaround?
>
> Yes, but... if using Nero software that you've upgraded for free from the
> freebie included with the burner, it won't do both burners. If you
> purchase
> the program, then you're set to go. At least that's how it worked out on
> my
> system and that's the explanation I found in aHead's tech support pages.
>
> I don't know if the same holds true for other free burning packages. Most
> are tied to the unit they shipped with in one way or another so take that
> into consideration if you run into trouble.
>
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

WinXP native cd burner only allows one burner to be active at a time.

r.

mark lemon wrote:

>I have a Lite-on DVDRW SOHW-1213S DVD/CD burner, and a TDK CDRW4800B CD
>burner installed under Windows XP Pro SP2.
>Both burners worked fine under Windows 2000 and Windows 98.
>Both use the same standard Windows driver. There is no driver upgrade from
>the manufacturers.
>When I click the recording tab under either one of the drives, and 'Enable
>CD recording on this drive', Windows automatically disables CD recording on
>the other drive.

Windows inbuilt burning is only available on one drive at any time
Given you have Nero, use that for equivalent 'session'burning of batches
of files, or its InCD for *true* drag and drop to CD-RW

mark

Thanks alot for all the help...
mark
"Alex Nichol" <alexn.mvpdts@ntlworld.delete.com> wrote in message
> mark lemon wrote:
>
>>I have a Lite-on DVDRW SOHW-1213S DVD/CD burner, and a TDK CDRW4800B CD
>>burner installed under Windows XP Pro SP2.
>>Both burners worked fine under Windows 2000 and Windows 98.
>>Both use the same standard Windows driver. There is no driver upgrade
>>from
>>the manufacturers.
>>When I click the recording tab under either one of the drives, and 'Enable
>>CD recording on this drive', Windows automatically disables CD recording
>>on
>>the other drive.
>
> Windows inbuilt burning is only available on one drive at any time
> Given you have Nero, use that for equivalent 'session'burning of batches
> of files, or its InCD for *true* drag and drop to CD-RW
>
> --
> Alex Nichol MS MVP (Windows Technologies)
> Bournemouth, U.K. Alexn@mvps.D8E8L.org (remove the D8 bit)

TRENDING THREADS