Arcade VGA: To compete or not?

Hi, I just made ATI bios hack, better than ArcadeVGA, I think. Please, help me to decide, which is better:
1. To publish free everithing i made.
2. To go compete AracadeVGA at about half of their price (about $40 + shipping)
3. To make everithing available with (optional?) donate.
4. To sell my work at all.
Any suggestions will help. My project is complete, so i need to decide wether to support community or make a little more money. If there is an interest, my decision will be easy.
alexandrow _at_ abv _dot_ bg.

thought about it a bit, then said...
> Hi, I just made ATI bios hack, better than ArcadeVGA, I think. Please, help me to decide, which is better:
> 1. To publish free everithing i made.
> 2. To go compete AracadeVGA at about half of their price (about $40 + shipping)
> 3. To make everithing available with (optional?) donate.
> 4. To sell my work at all.
> Any suggestions will help. My project is complete, so i need to decide wether to support community or make a little more money. If there is an interest, my decision will be easy.
> alexandrow _at_ abv _dot_ bg.

I'm curious - will this hack work with higher-end ATI cards, or just the
9200-level cards like the AVGA?

How about driver support?

It sounds interesting, but I'd love to hear more details (resolutions
supported, cards supported, etc.)

--
Kevin Steele
RetroBlast! Retrogaming News and Reviews

James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

In order to compete you will not only have to compete in price but also
service and support. Andy at Ultimarc is unparalleled in his service. I
know for a fact he has taken a hit in both time and money for one of my
issues, you would need to provide similar support on a consistent basis as
well IMHO.

That said, I haope you release for free or with donate...:)

Kevin Steele <net-replyDEL@DELadelphia.net> wrote in

> thought about it a bit, then said...
>> Hi, I just made ATI bios hack, better than ArcadeVGA, I think.
>> Please, help me to decide, which is better: 1. To publish free
>> everithing i made. 2. To go compete AracadeVGA at about half of their
>> price (about $40 + shipping) 3. To make everithing available with
>> (optional?) donate. 4. To sell my work at all.
>> Any suggestions will help. My project is complete, so i need to
>> decide wether to support community or make a little more money. If
>> there is an interest, my decision will be easy. alexandrow _at_ abv
>> _dot_ bg.
>
> I'm curious - will this hack work with higher-end ATI cards, or just
> the 9200-level cards like the AVGA?
>
> How about driver support?
>
> It sounds interesting, but I'd love to hear more details (resolutions
> supported, cards supported, etc.)

The whole deal is that the card works on 15KHz on all modes (some interlaced, some "half fonted"). If
you want to support any additional mode - you can do it in driver. If you enought with "arcade modes" -
there is actualy no need for driver support - ati (cathalist) driver will work (for windows desktop -
640x480, interlaced, fol arcade - all native modes). All "mame" modes works fine with *mame and zinc
for me under linux and windows. If i go to sell the whole project, i may try to detetect connected
monitor (simple examing one pin on input), but for me it is not nessesary, becouse i (my client) just
need nice logo on startup and stable picture with *mame derivates on *nix/windows.

i'll be your first customer.

if i can plug it into my 25" standard res arcade monitor and it works no
problem without having to set up advMame and advMenu, etc. and not having to
screw with too much setup, etc

you got yourself $40.

i'm mainly using DOS mame (lower versions) though on my projects since I
can't really afford a higher end machine that will handle mame and the
windows overhead.

reply to me on email and let's make it happn' capn'

k.

<arcadegamer@nospam.net> wrote in message
> Hi, I just made ATI bios hack, better than ArcadeVGA, I think. Please,
help me to decide, which is better:
> 1. To publish free everithing i made.
> 2. To go compete AracadeVGA at about half of their price (about $40 +
shipping)
> 3. To make everithing available with (optional?) donate.
> 4. To sell my work at all.
> Any suggestions will help. My project is complete, so i need to decide
wether to support community or make a little more money. If there is an
interest, my decision will be easy.
> alexandrow _at_ abv _dot_ bg.

I would start by trying to sell some cards in the $40.00 range and if that
don't seem to be working then donate the code to the group.

I dont even need one right now but put me down for one and I'll check it
out.

Dave

<arcadegamer@nospam.net> wrote in message
> Hi, I just made ATI bios hack, better than ArcadeVGA, I think. Please,
> help me to decide, which is better:
> 1. To publish free everithing i made.
> 2. To go compete AracadeVGA at about half of their price (about $40 +
> shipping)
> 3. To make everithing available with (optional?) donate.
> 4. To sell my work at all.
> Any suggestions will help. My project is complete, so i need to decide
> wether to support community or make a little more money. If there is an
> interest, my decision will be easy.
> alexandrow _at_ abv _dot_ bg.

Leo

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2001

You should charge as mutch, as you have to pay for the emulator you use, i
meen, without the emulator, your ATI hack would be worth nothing.

So donation would be the only right way to make a little from you work

Shiping and taxes for sending to EU, if your live in the US, will be almost
a dobling of the price. Try to ask Andy if he thinks that is a problem.

I think it is, Shipping for an ArcadeVGA is 11.44 euro, tax is 15.71 euro,
in all, that would bee about 36 US$

And that is more than i feel to pay, just because i live in the EU, i would
rather send you 10-20US$ in donation, than pay 36US$ in Tax and shipment.

Hope to see your free release of your work soon.

Take care
Leo
http://www.mamegames.dk

orginal poster.. still no email from you.. you have something for me.. i'd
like to see if this works.

k.

"Leo" <leo@leo.lir.dk> wrote in message
> You should charge as mutch, as you have to pay for the emulator you use, i
> meen, without the emulator, your ATI hack would be worth nothing.
>
> So donation would be the only right way to make a little from you work
>
> Shiping and taxes for sending to EU, if your live in the US, will be
almost
> a dobling of the price. Try to ask Andy if he thinks that is a problem.
>
> I think it is, Shipping for an ArcadeVGA is 11.44 euro, tax is 15.71 euro,
> in all, that would bee about 36 US$
>
> And that is more than i feel to pay, just because i live in the EU, i
would
> rather send you 10-20US$ in donation, than pay 36US$ in Tax and shipment.
>

> Hope to see your free release of your work soon.
>
> Take care
> Leo
> http://www.mamegames.dk

Actually, my hack is not related to the emulators at all. The project was not related to the entertainment
even. So - my hack worth enough for me already. On the other side, I am a big fan of this nice and old
arcade games. I have few cabinets, renovated and equipped with advmame, just for fun - i.e. not for
profit. I just like old arcade games. So, the bios hack is not even important for me - my cabinets works
just perfect with advmame.
Now - I guess that there are many people that love arcade games just like me. Installing advmame is
not easy task - even for qualified professional, so I think some of these arcade fans just can't make
multi arcade cabinet up and running. I want to help these people. But how? If someone can't install
advmame, there is a little chance, that the same person will be able to flash video bios. There is no
such think like universal bios, so the arcade fan must get EXACTLY the same video card from
somewhere, or hack bios another one time to setup core and memory clocks, timings etc. This is just
not easy task. In many cases my "help" will end up with destroyed video card. Actually, the non-
professionals will not take any benefit from such "public bios". On the other hand, some arcade
"professionals" will take the benefit for free. I just don't want to help this "professionals" for free - they
want to get everything for free (emulators, roms, etc.) and sell "free" stuff for lot of money.
So, I think, for "regular" mame fan the best choice will be to get video card that support arcade monitor
for some money and just "plug'n'play" it. But I will wait some more time to see if there is interest to
make bios hack public. If so, I will make a little survey for "most known cheap ATI video card on the
market" and will make bios hack for that card public.
On the other hand I have some conversation to sell the whole work to company, that will make and sell
that card as end user product, and if I'm satisfied I will sell my work.

"Leo" <leo@leo.lir.dk> wrote in