USB Composite Device error code 10

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

Trying to connect a "Creative USB Sound Blaster MP3+" external USB audo
device to my Dell Inspiron 8600 laptop running Windows XP Pro, SP2.

Windows goes through the usual contortions to recognize the pnp device...
Found New Hardware: USB Audio -> Found New Hardware: USB Composite Device ->
Error: "A problem occurred during hardware installation" message flashes by
and then a few seconds later, "A USB device has exceeded the power limits of
its hub port" message comes and goes.

When I go to
"ControlPanel.System.Hardware.DeviceManager.UniversalSerialBusControllers" I
see a "USB Composite Device" entry highlighted with yellow exclamation (!).
When I open that entry, the Device Status indicates: "This device cannot
start. (Code 10)".

There's no further explanation anywhere of what Code 10 means. Trying to
uninstall/reinstall per Troubleshooter suggestions doesn't help. Unplugging
device and pluggin in again doesn't help. Rebooting with device plugged to
computer doesn't help. Installing manufacturer's drivers for device doesn't
help.

Notes:
1. The "Sound Blaster MP3+" device does not have an option for external
power and so all its power is supplied via the USB.
2. The device works perfectly on my Windows 2000 Pro homemade desktop system
(i.e., device is recognized and all the requisite device drivers
automatically configured)
3. USB Composite Device driver chosen by Windows:
Microsoft/7-1-2001/5.1.2600.0 (provider/date/version)
4. I've searched in Microsoft KB, Dell KB and Creative KB for discussion and
patches to do with issues related to USB devices. Nothing useful found.
5. I've updated my DellInspiron8600 BIOS to latest version (A12).
6. I have exact same problems described above using an older Onkyo SE-U55
USB audio device.

Conclusion: Since the two similar USB devices work perfectly on my
Windows2000Pro desktop and other USB devices work on my Dell Inspiron 8600
WinXPProSP2 system, I conclude the problem has something to do with
WinXPProSP2's support for "USB Composite Devices".

Any suggestions on what to do next?

John

John wrote:
> Trying to connect a "Creative USB Sound Blaster MP3+" external USB
> audo device to my Dell Inspiron 8600 laptop running Windows XP Pro,
> SP2.
> Windows goes through the usual contortions to recognize the pnp
> device... Found New Hardware: USB Audio -> Found New Hardware: USB
> Composite Device -> Error: "A problem occurred during hardware
> installation" message flashes by and then a few seconds later, "A USB
> device has exceeded the power limits of its hub port" message comes
> and goes.
> When I go to
> "ControlPanel.System.Hardware.DeviceManager.UniversalSerialBusControllers"
> I see a "USB Composite Device" entry highlighted with yellow
> exclamation (!). When I open that entry, the Device Status indicates:
> "This device cannot start. (Code 10)".
>
> There's no further explanation anywhere of what Code 10 means. Trying
> to uninstall/reinstall per Troubleshooter suggestions doesn't help.
> Unplugging device and pluggin in again doesn't help. Rebooting with
> device plugged to computer doesn't help. Installing manufacturer's
> drivers for device doesn't help.
>
> Notes:
> 1. The "Sound Blaster MP3+" device does not have an option for
> external power and so all its power is supplied via the USB.
> 2. The device works perfectly on my Windows 2000 Pro homemade desktop
> system (i.e., device is recognized and all the requisite device
> drivers automatically configured)
> 3. USB Composite Device driver chosen by Windows:
> Microsoft/7-1-2001/5.1.2600.0 (provider/date/version)
> 4. I've searched in Microsoft KB, Dell KB and Creative KB for
> discussion and patches to do with issues related to USB devices.
> Nothing useful found. 5. I've updated my DellInspiron8600 BIOS to
> latest version (A12).
> 6. I have exact same problems described above using an older Onkyo
> SE-U55 USB audio device.
>
> Conclusion: Since the two similar USB devices work perfectly on my
> Windows2000Pro desktop and other USB devices work on my Dell Inspiron
> 8600 WinXPProSP2 system, I conclude the problem has something to do
> with WinXPProSP2's support for "USB Composite Devices".
>
> Any suggestions on what to do next?
>
> John

If you intend to use the manufacturer's alternate driver, you'll likely
need to remove inopperative device. Connect the device, then remove any
and all entries for it in device manager, then reboot with the device
unconnected. Install the driver, and if it installs, then connect the
device the first time.

The actual problem might be that the Dell USB implementation has
short-changed the available power. This type of low USB power seems to
come up with removable drives - some laptops work well, others seem to
come up short on power.

Upgrade your PSU or purchase a powered USB hub and use that to connect.
www.coribright.com