K7T 266 Pro 2 and XP2400+

Can this motherboard drive an Athlon XP2400+ - if so would I need to upgrade
the BIOS ? I'm currently using bios version 3.7 which seems to be the
latest version on the MSI site.

You already have the right BIOS version. But you need the right model and
revision of the board and a modification to the board.

If your motherboard is a K7T266 Pro2-RU Rev. 2, then for this motherboard to
be able to run 266MHz FSB Thoroughbred core CPU's, you will also need to
remove the very small surface mount capacitor C37.

Check out the following thread on MSI's forum about the modification and
success or failure that others have had with this modification:

http://forum.msi.com.tw/thread.php?threadid=5723&boardid=13&styleid=1

Don't use the beta BIOS mentioned in the thread, as it doesn't support
48-bit LBA HDD's.

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 10:02:55 +0100, "David Atkinson" wrote:

>Can this motherboard drive an Athlon XP2400+ - if so would I need to upgrade
>the BIOS ? I'm currently using bios version 3.7 which seems to be the
>latest version on the MSI site.

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_cpu_support.php

In short, a 133/266MHz FSB Athlon XP would be safer to get a the
166/333MHz FSB one.