Top-posting

July 13, 2004 7:01:36 PM

Absolutely no offense meant, but top-posting seems to be the rule here. Is
that because y'all are posting from your PPC's?

http://www.html-faq.com/etiquette/?toppost

--
There's no place like 127.0.0.1
Gerard Wassink http://linux.family.filternet.nl

More about : top posting

Anonymous
July 13, 2004 7:01:37 PM

>> http://www.html-faq.com/etiquette/?toppost <<
>> Top Posting? <<
>> Using PocketPC's <<

That

imho, the convention has long outlived it's usefullness... i.e. it
worked in 300 baud days when posts were kept short by the connection
speed and threading newsreaders hadn't been invented

selective quoting

modern news readers that support threading

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
.... (probably _the_ biggest violator of quoting etiquette here ;-)
Anonymous
July 13, 2004 7:54:15 PM

there is no law.

"Gerard Wassink" <DontWant@SP_aM.nl> wrote in message

> Absolutely no offense meant, but top-posting seems to be the rule here. Is
> that because y'all are posting from your PPC's?
>
> http://www.html-faq.com/etiquette/?toppost
>
> --
> There's no place like 127.0.0.1
> Gerard Wassink http://linux.family.filternet.nl
> Linux counter #360967
July 13, 2004 8:18:37 PM

Gerard Wassink wrote:
> Absolutely no offense meant, but top-posting seems to be the rule
> here. Is that because y'all are posting from your PPC's?
>
> http://www.html-faq.com/etiquette/?toppost

Probably 'cos we're all using Qusnetsoft, which defaults a reply post to the
top. I'm not to keen on doing it myself, but I can't always be bothered
cutting and pasting...

Regards

Martin
Anonymous
July 13, 2004 8:53:13 PM

Gerard Wassink wrote:
> Absolutely no offense meant, but top-posting seems to be the rule
> here. Is that because y'all are posting from your PPC's?
>
> http://www.html-faq.com/etiquette/?toppost

In my experience, the majority of subscribers to all microsoft.* newsgroups
post in this way. ie I don't think this is a PPC issue.

--
Brett

Bromsgrove Beer Festival
www.bromsgrovebeerfestival.org.uk
16-17 July 2004
Anonymous
July 13, 2004 9:58:39 PM

Oh well, I'm not that keen on it, I was just wondering. In the Linux groups
people get slapped on the wrists now and again for doing this, and I had
gotten used to that way of poasting...

--
There's no place like 127.0.0.1
Gerard Wassink http://linux.family.filternet.nl
Linux counter #360967
Anonymous
July 13, 2004 9:58:40 PM

>> people get slapped on the wrists <<

Welcome to the future ;-)

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
July 13, 2004 9:58:40 PM

Around here, you'd be referred to as a bottom-poster. Really annoying. ;-)

"Gerard Wassink" <DontWant@SP_aM.nl> wrote in message news:jodbobxlqsj4.1c30rq6veku6.dlg@40tude.net...

> Oh well, I'm not that keen on it, I was just wondering. In the Linux groups
> people get slapped on the wrists now and again for doing this, and I had
> gotten used to that way of poasting...
>
> --
> There's no place like 127.0.0.1
> Gerard Wassink http://linux.family.filternet.nl
> Linux counter #360967
Anonymous
July 14, 2004 12:41:07 AM

As in: in the future you will be slapped on the wrists here? ;-)

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 11:17:09 -0500, Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]
scribbled:

> >> people get slapped on the wrists <<
>
> Welcome to the future ;-)

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
Gerard Wassink http://linux.family.filternet.nl
Linux counter #360967
Anonymous
July 14, 2004 1:49:11 AM

As in a future where wrist slaps are as rare as rulers on the knuckles
in public schools ;-)

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
July 14, 2004 6:25:45 AM

"Ann" <nospam@netzero.com> wrote in

> ---
> ------=_NextPart_000_00D3_01C468FA.C20BC340
> <HTML><HEAD>
> <META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
> <META content="MSHTML 6.00.2800.1400" name=GENERATOR>
> <STYLE></STYLE>
> </HEAD>
> <BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
> <DIV><FONT face=Arial>I'm glad to not be a Linux fan!  Maybe the
> Linux fans want to try a mainstream approach.</FONT></DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=Arial></FONT> </DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=Arial>I've become accustomed to these posting types
> over the years.</FONT></DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=Arial></FONT> </DIV>
> <DIV>---------------------------
Ann</DIV>
> <BLOCKQUOTE
> style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px;
> BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
> <DIV>"Gerard Wassink" <<A
> href="mailto:D ontWant@SP_aM.nl">DontWant@SP_aM.nl</A>> wrote in
> message <A
> href="news:jodbobxlqsj4.1c30rq6veku6.dlg@40tude.net">news:jodbobxlqsj
> 4.1c30rq6veku6.dlg@40tude.net</A>...</DIV> <DIV>
Oh well, I'm not
> that keen on it, I was just wondering. In the Linux groups
people
> get slapped on the wrists now and again for doing this, and I
> had
gotten used to that way of poasting...

--
There's
> no place like 127.0.0.1
Gerard
> Wassink        <A
> href="http://linux.family.filternet.nl">http://linux.family.filternet
> .nl</A>
Linux counter #360967</DIV>
> <DIV> </DIV>
> <DIV>
---
Checked by
> AVG anti-virus system (<A
> href="http://www.grisoft.com">http://www.grisoft.com&lt;/A>).
Version
> : 6.0.718 / Virus Database: 474 - Release Date:
> 7/9/2004</DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
>
> ------=_NextPart_000_00D3_01C468FA.C20BC340--

This is the future huh ?

--
Trevor S

-Albert Einstein
Anonymous
July 14, 2004 6:29:19 AM

Gerard Wassink <DontWant@SP_aM.nl> wrote in

> Absolutely no offense meant, but top-posting seems to be the rule
> here. Is that because y'all are posting from your PPC's?
>
> http://www.html-faq.com/etiquette/?toppost

It appears to be particularly endemic to MS newsgroups. Personally top
posting does not bother me. I prefer bottom posting and trimming text
(interleaved posting) as I respect other members of a Newsgroup, as it
makes it easier to read.

--
Trevor S

-Albert Einstein
Anonymous
July 14, 2004 4:26:11 PM

"Ann" <nospam@netzero.com> wrote in

> I'm glad to not be a Linux fan! Maybe the Linux fans want to try a
> mainstream approach.
>
> I've become accustomed to these posting types over the years.
>
> ---------------------------
> Ann
> "Gerard Wassink" <DontWant@SP_aM.nl> wrote in message
>
> Oh well, I'm not that keen on it, I was just wondering. In the Linux
> groups people get slapped on the wrists now and again for doing
> this, and I had gotten used to that way of poasting...
>
> --
> There's no place like 127.0.0.1
> Gerard Wassink http://linux.family.filternet.nl
> Linux counter #360967
>

> ---
> ------=_NextPart_000_00D3_01C468FA.C20BC340
> <HTML><HEAD>
> <META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
> <META content="MSHTML 6.00.2800.1400" name=GENERATOR>
> <STYLE></STYLE>
> </HEAD>
> <BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
> <DIV><FONT face=Arial>I'm glad to not be a Linux fan!  Maybe the
> Linux fans want to try a mainstream approach.</FONT></DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=Arial></FONT> </DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=Arial>I've become accustomed to these posting types
> over the years.</FONT></DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=Arial></FONT> </DIV>
> <DIV>---------------------------
Ann</DIV>
> <BLOCKQUOTE
> style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px;
> BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
> <DIV>"Gerard Wassink" <<A
> href="mailto:D ontWant@SP_aM.nl">DontWant@SP_aM.nl</A>> wrote in
> message <A
> href="news:jodbobxlqsj4.1c30rq6veku6.dlg@40tude.net">news:jodbobxlqsj
> 4.1c30rq6veku6.dlg@40tude.net</A>...</DIV> <DIV>
Oh well, I'm not
> that keen on it, I was just wondering. In the Linux groups
people
> get slapped on the wrists now and again for doing this, and I
> had
gotten used to that way of poasting...

--
There's
> no place like 127.0.0.1
Gerard
> Wassink        <A
> href="http://linux.family.filternet.nl">http://linux.family.filternet
> .nl</A>
Linux counter #360967</DIV>
> <DIV> </DIV>
> <DIV>
---
Checked by
> AVG anti-virus system (<A
> href="http://www.grisoft.com">http://www.grisoft.com&lt;/A>).
Version
> : 6.0.718 / Virus Database: 474 - Release Date:
> 7/9/2004</DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
>
> ------=_NextPart_000_00D3_01C468FA.C20BC340--

Which posting type is that, the inclusion of html in a text-only format??
Anonymous
July 14, 2004 5:12:55 PM

On 14 Jul 2004 02:29:19 GMT, Trevor S <bill@gates.com> wrote:

>Gerard Wassink <DontWant@SP_aM.nl> wrote in
>

>> Absolutely no offense meant, but top-posting seems to be the rule
>> here. Is that because y'all are posting from your PPC's?
>>
>> http://www.html-faq.com/etiquette/?toppost
>
>It appears to be particularly endemic to MS newsgroups. Personally top
>posting does not bother me. I prefer bottom posting and trimming text
>(interleaved posting) as I respect other members of a Newsgroup, as it
>makes it easier to read.

I, at least, really dislike bottom posting. When I use my newsreader
(Agent), I check the newest posts in a thread; having to scroll all
the way to the bottom of each note to see the latest info is extra
work. When I use google to check old threads, bottom posts can be even
more annoying, because long posts require a separate screen. In both
cases, I get context by reading all the notes in a thread, rather than
all the history contained in the latest note (which might be badly
edited).

In-line additions are the best, _if_ posters keep topics separated so
context remains clear.

Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
PenFact, Inc.
500 Harrison Ave., Suite 3R
Boston, MA 02118
www.penfact.com
Anonymous
July 14, 2004 5:37:23 PM

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 21:49:11 -0500, Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]
scribbled:

> As in a future where wrist slaps are as rare as rulers on the knuckles
> in public schools ;-)
>
> Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

Nooo, you can't be *that* old.... ;)

--
There's no place like 127.0.0.1
Gerard Wassink http://linux.family.filternet.nl
Linux counter #360967
Anonymous
July 14, 2004 5:37:24 PM

>> that old? <<

uh, huh.... see http://BevHoward.com

....and be sure to match the pictures to the names ;-)

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
July 14, 2004 11:24:37 PM

"AlanS" <news@remove.abyz.fslife.co.uk> wrote in news:cd139t$lvb$3
@news7.svr.pol.co.uk:

> there is no law.

No, there's not. There's no law against flatulating in crowded elevators
either, yet somehow most people just know better.

Scott
Anonymous
July 14, 2004 11:37:28 PM

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 07:18:32 -0500, Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]
scribbled:

> uh, huh.... see http://BevHoward.com
>
> ...and be sure to match the pictures to the names ;-)

I stand corrected... ;)

--
There's no place like 127.0.0.1
Gerard Wassink http://linux.family.filternet.nl
Linux counter #360967
July 14, 2004 11:49:53 PM

Gerard Wassink wrote:

> Absolutely no offense meant, but top-posting seems to be the rule here. Is
> that because y'all are posting from your PPC's?
>
> http://www.html-faq.com/etiquette/?toppost

Yeah a lot of people here don't seem to mind, however most other in
newsgroups you'll get asked not to. Bottom posting is more logical.
because you can reply to different parts of the message as needed. Top
posting is better for email IMO.

In the case of using our PPCs, I guess if you're paying for bandwidth
then top posting is better as it means you can grab the first 5 lines or
something. But then again, we chooose to use this acient system for
posting messages. Most people have moved on to Web based, XML, XLT, CSS,
xCSS, CGI thingy-ma-bobs - personally I can't be bothered with
remembering usernames and passwords.

--
Marc
See http://www.imarc.co.uk/ for contact details.

Ann wrote:
> ------=_NextPart_000_00D3_01C468FA.C20BC340 <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC
> "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META
> http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
> <META content="MSHTML 6.00.2800.1400" name=GENERATOR> <STYLE></STYLE>
> </HEAD> <BODY bgColor=#ffffff> <DIV><FONT face=Arial>I'm glad to not
> be a Linux fan!  Maybe the Linux fans want to try a mainstream
> approach.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial></FONT> </DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=Arial>I've become accustomed to these posting types
> over the years.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT
> face=Arial></FONT> </DIV>
> <DIV>---------------------------
Ann</DIV> <BLOCKQUOTE
> style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px;
> BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px"> <DIV>"Gerard
> Wassink" <<A
> href="mailto:D ontWant@SP_aM.nl">DontWant@SP_aM.nl</A>> wrote in
> message <A
> href="news:jodbobxlqsj4.1c30rq6veku6.dlg@40tude.net">news:jodbobxlqsj
> 4.1c30rq6veku6.dlg@40tude.net</A>...</DIV> <DIV>
Oh well, I'm not
> that keen on it, I was just wondering. In the Linux groups
people
> get slapped on the wrists now and again for doing this, and I
> had
gotten used to that way of poasting...

--
There's
> no place like 127.0.0.1
Gerard
> Wassink        <A
> href="http://linux.family.filternet.nl">http://linux.family.filternet
> .nl</A>
Linux counter #360967</DIV> <DIV> </DIV>
> <DIV>
---
Checked by
> AVG anti-virus system (<A
> href="http://www.grisoft.com">http://www.grisoft.com&lt;/A>).
Version
> : 6.0.718 / Virus Database: 474 - Release Date:
> 7/9/2004</DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
>
> ------=_NextPart_000_00D3_01C468FA.C20BC340--

Now if I was paying for bandwidth on my GPRS PPC, I'd be demanding a
refurnd off you!!

--
Marc
See http://www.imarc.co.uk/ for contact details.
July 14, 2004 11:52:53 PM

AlanS wrote:

> there is no law.

like every standard, microsoft make their own version.

--
Marc
See http://www.imarc.co.uk/ for contact details.
Anonymous
July 15, 2004 1:55:01 AM

"Marc" <see@signature.url> wrote in message
> AlanS wrote:
>
> > there is no law.
>
> like every standard, microsoft make their own version.
>
> --
> Marc

Microsoft don't set these as standards. Users choose to do it.
Anonymous
July 15, 2004 1:55:59 AM

"Scott Seidman" <namdiesttocs@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> "AlanS" <news@remove.abyz.fslife.co.uk> wrote in news:cd139t$lvb$3
> @news7.svr.pol.co.uk:
>
> > there is no law.
> >

> No, there's not. There's no law against flatulating in crowded elevators
> either, yet somehow most people just know better.
>
> Scott

That is one of the most stupid examples I've seen in the newsgroups.
Anonymous
July 15, 2004 2:23:38 AM

"AlanS" <news@remove.abyz.fslife.co.uk> wrote in news:cd4bm6$r6a$1
@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk:

> "Marc" <see@signature.url> wrote in message
>> AlanS wrote:
>>
>> > there is no law.
>>
>> like every standard, microsoft make their own version.
>>
>> --
>> Marc
>>

> Microsoft don't set these as standards. Users choose to do it.

Perhaps he's referring to the way Outlook Express defaults to top posting
on reply

Scott
Anonymous
July 15, 2004 2:31:21 AM

> "Scott Seidman" <namdiesttocs@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>> "AlanS" <news@remove.abyz.fslife.co.uk> wrote in news:cd139t$lvb$3
>> @news7.svr.pol.co.uk:
>>
>> > there is no law.
>> >

>> No, there's not. There's no law against flatulating in crowded
>> elevators either, yet somehow most people just know better.
>>
>> Scott
>
> That is one of the most stupid examples I've seen in the newsgroups.

Invariably, whenever a discussion on usenet convention and etiquette comes
up, somebody says effectively "Neener, neener, neener!! Nobody can make me
follow some perfectly good convention, so I'll do what I want! So there!!"

The above analogy is pretty much my stock response to posters who cannot
display the maturity necessary to understand why people follow conventions,
even though nobody can make them follow conventions. Perhaps together we
can come up with a better analogy, but I think it's fairly apt. When a
person who has been making up his own conventions gets gently pointed to a
reminder that there are well accepted conventions that have served well for
decades, continues to ignore them because "noone can make me", that is much
like farting in an elevator crowded with people who know better.

Scott

PS-- Thank you for bottom posting.
Anonymous
July 15, 2004 10:18:02 AM

r_z_aret@pen_fact.com wrote in

<snip>

> I, at least, really dislike bottom posting. When I use my newsreader
> (Agent), I check the newest posts in a thread; having to scroll all
> the way to the bottom of each note to see the latest info is extra
> work.

AFAIK, bottom posting implicitly imples snipping the text. IMO bottom
posting in the way you refer to it is worse then top posting. Most
bottom posting afficanados use bottom posting to mean "interleaved
posting", where the reply is based on the lines above it as in this
example and is the metod I prefer as I belive it makes the thread clearer
for all.

> When I use google to check old threads, bottom posts can be even
> more annoying, because long posts require a separate screen.

See above. Bottom posting implicitly means snipping AFAIK. Those that
don't aren't "bottom posting" per se but simply replying at the bootom.

> In both
> cases, I get context by reading all the notes in a thread, rather than
> all the history contained in the latest note (which might be badly
> edited).
>
> In-line additions are the best, _if_ posters keep topics separated so
> context remains clear.

Agreed.

--
Trevor S

-Albert Einstein
Anonymous
July 15, 2004 11:29:12 AM

> "AlanS" <news@remove.abyz.fslife.co.uk> wrote in
>

> > "Scott Seidman" <namdiesttocs@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> >> "AlanS" <news@remove.abyz.fslife.co.uk> wrote in news:cd139t$lvb$3
> >> @news7.svr.pol.co.uk:

> >> No, there's not. There's no law against flatulating in crowded
> >> elevators either, yet somehow most people just know better.
> >>
> >> Scott
> >
> > That is one of the most stupid examples I've seen in the newsgroups.
> >

> Invariably, whenever a discussion on usenet convention and etiquette comes
> up, somebody says effectively "Neener, neener, neener!! Nobody can make me
> follow some perfectly good convention, so I'll do what I want! So
there!!"

> The above analogy is pretty much my stock response to posters who cannot
> display the maturity necessary to understand why people follow
conventions,
> even though nobody can make them follow conventions. Perhaps together we
> can come up with a better analogy, but I think it's fairly apt. When a
> person who has been making up his own conventions gets gently pointed to a
> reminder that there are well accepted conventions that have served well
for
> decades, continues to ignore them because "noone can make me", that is
much
> like farting in an elevator crowded with people who know better.
>
> Scott
>
> PS-- Thank you for bottom posting.

I use the sensible approach- follow the thread. Yo-yo methods of posting
from top to bottom is more of a problem than whether people top or bottom
post. It's harder to follow when some people insist on bottom posting on a
thread that was following a top post method- that is stupid. There are also
people who will top post after a series of bottom posts- neither ay of
jumping around is clever.
Anonymous
July 15, 2004 11:34:45 AM

"Gerard Wassink" <DontWant@SP_aM.nl> wrote in message

> Absolutely no offense meant, but top-posting seems to be the rule here. Is
> that because y'all are posting from your PPC's?
>
> http://www.html-faq.com/etiquette/?toppost

I tend to bottom-post in another groups, and I follow the trend on this one
and top-post. some Pocket PC users are using the usenet for the first time
to get support, and don't have the notion of top and bottom posting.

I personally don't think inforcing such rules makes much difference these
days.

Performance Centre (Pocket PC reviews):
July 15, 2004 11:34:46 AM

"Mauricio Freitas [MVP]" <dr.emailposter@nowhere.invalid> wrote in

> "Gerard Wassink" <DontWant@SP_aM.nl> wrote in message
>>
>> Absolutely no offense meant, but top-posting seems to be the rule
>> here. Is that because y'all are posting from your PPC's?
>>
>> http://www.html-faq.com/etiquette/?toppost
>>

> I tend to bottom-post in another groups, and I follow the trend on
> this one and top-post. some Pocket PC users are using the usenet for
> the first time to get support, and don't have the notion of top and
> bottom posting.
>
> I personally don't think inforcing such rules makes much difference
> these days.

> Performance Centre (Pocket PC reviews):
> http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?ContentId=2028
> Handango discount: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/handango_code.asp

All well and good, until you get a long thread, and some people top post
and some bottom post. It becomes incomprehensible unless a standard is
adhered to.

Scott
Anonymous
July 15, 2004 11:34:47 AM

Is the toilet paper roll supposed to be installed with the paper going
over or under?

These things seem to be a matter of personal preference, with most
people having a pretty strong opinion one way or the other.

I definitely prefer top posting - if you've been following a thread
for a while, you've already read all of the previous entries. I
definitely don't care to keep scrolling through entries I've already
read just to get to the new post.
Anonymous
July 15, 2004 11:34:48 AM

Aloha to all,

Perhaps I am missing something re: top vs. bottom posting....

I generally go to View > Current View > Hide Read Messages

That would seem to take care of whether one top or bottom posts, although I
have to admit, this thread is interesting to read, with some rather strong
opinions on both sides of the argument.

Didn't really think that it was too much of an issue, but I guess it is.....

Oh well, I guess it is the differences that make us most interesting.

Marvin

"Jim Hughes" <CableRunner@USWest.net> wrote in message
> Is the toilet paper roll supposed to be installed with the paper going
> over or under?
>
> These things seem to be a matter of personal preference, with most
> people having a pretty strong opinion one way or the other.
>
> I definitely prefer top posting - if you've been following a thread
> for a while, you've already read all of the previous entries. I
> definitely don't care to keep scrolling through entries I've already
> read just to get to the new post.
Anonymous
July 15, 2004 12:36:20 PM

Aloha to all,

Opppsss... never mind... I misunderstood what was meant.

My apologies.....
I still think it is interesting, though, that this has taken up so much
discussion.

Marvin
"MARVIN SAMIANO" <marvin.samiano@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Aloha to all,
>
> Perhaps I am missing something re: top vs. bottom posting....
>
> I generally go to View > Current View > Hide Read Messages
>
> That would seem to take care of whether one top or bottom posts, although
> have to admit, this thread is interesting to read, with some rather strong
> opinions on both sides of the argument.
>
> Didn't really think that it was too much of an issue, but I guess it
is.....

> Oh well, I guess it is the differences that make us most interesting.
>
> Marvin
>
> "Jim Hughes" <CableRunner@USWest.net> wrote in message
> > Is the toilet paper roll supposed to be installed with the paper going
> > over or under?
> >
> > These things seem to be a matter of personal preference, with most
> > people having a pretty strong opinion one way or the other.
> >
> > I definitely prefer top posting - if you've been following a thread
> > for a while, you've already read all of the previous entries. I
> > definitely don't care to keep scrolling through entries I've already
> > read just to get to the new post.

July 15, 2004 12:52:37 PM

<r_z_aret@pen_fact.com> wrote in message
> On 14 Jul 2004 02:29:19 GMT, Trevor S <bill@gates.com> wrote:
>
> I, at least, really dislike bottom posting.

bottom posting /is/ better, provided users snip appropriately. unfortunately
even the most adherent bottom posters fail to do this, which kinda
undermines their opinion of the style. in the very least top posters'
laziness in not-snipping doesnt hinder the reading of what theyve written...

still, its interesting how something so trivial can spawn such a large
thread... hehe.

spammy
July 15, 2004 12:56:03 PM

> "AlanS" <news@remove.abyz.fslife.co.uk> wrote in news:cd4bm6$r6a$1
> @newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk:
> >
> > "Marc" <see@signature.url> wrote in message
> >
> > Microsoft don't set these as standards. Users choose to do it.
> >

> Perhaps he's referring to the way Outlook Express defaults to top posting
> on reply

which is A Good Thing, since it encourages bottom posters to snip as they
scroll down to where theyre going to type. otherwise one ends up with
massive quote for a one sentence reply (ahem, ahem).

spammy
Anonymous
July 15, 2004 2:05:22 PM

---===### Stop top-posting,! it drives us crazy! ###===---

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 21:55:59 +0100, AlanS wrote:

>> No, there's not. There's no law against flatulating in crowded elevators
>> either, yet somehow most people just know better.
>>
>> Scott
>
> That is one of the most stupid examples I've seen in the newsgroups.

I disagree, I rather liked it! :D

--
There's no place like 127.0.0.1
Gerard Wassink http://linux.family.filternet.nl
Linux counter #360967
Anonymous
July 15, 2004 2:13:18 PM

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 20:28:38 GMT, Jim Hughes wrote:

> Is the toilet paper roll supposed to be installed with the paper going
> over or under?

[snip]

Over! Most definite! (way, way of topic, but nicely put... :D

--
There's no place like 127.0.0.1
Gerard Wassink http://linux.family.filternet.nl
Linux counter #360967
July 15, 2004 3:51:40 PM

AlanS wrote:
>>like every standard, microsoft make their own version.
>
> Microsoft don't set these as standards. Users choose to do it.

The minority of computer literate users choose, the majority of people
do not.

--
Marc
See http://www.imarc.co.uk/ for contact details.
Anonymous
July 15, 2004 3:54:39 PM

"spammy" <me@privacy.net> wrote in news:2lmrlqFe4moiU2@uni-berlin.de:

> which is A Good Thing, since it encourages bottom posters to snip as they
> scroll down to where theyre going to type. otherwise one ends up with
> massive quote for a one sentence reply (ahem, ahem).
>
> spammy

ahem-- my post was less than a half screen. Perhaps one sentence could
have been cut.

Scott
Anonymous
July 15, 2004 4:01:16 PM

"MARVIN SAMIANO" <marvin.samiano@verizon.net> wrote in

> Didn't really think that it was too much of an issue, but I guess it
> is.....
>
> Oh well, I guess it is the differences that make us most interesting.
>
> Marvin

It's got historical relevance, going back to the day when people had to
page down through a message through the "more" filter to read messages.
Reading from top to bottom was easy, reading from bottom to top was
impossible.

Now that this is a well established convention, there's little reason to
change it. I think those who insist on top posting don't do it because
they have a real preference for reading messages bottom to top, but because
they don't like hearing that they've been doing something wrong.

Scott
Anonymous
July 15, 2004 11:33:40 PM

On 15 Jul 2004 12:01:16 GMT, Scott Seidman wrote:

[snip]

> I think those who insist on top posting don't do it because
> they have a real preference for reading messages bottom to top, but because
> they don't like hearing that they've been doing something wrong.

Hear, hear !!!

--
There's no place like 127.0.0.1
Gerard Wassink http://linux.family.filternet.nl
Linux counter #360967, "In a world without fences, who needs gates?"
Anonymous
July 15, 2004 11:33:41 PM

> On 15 Jul 2004 12:01:16 GMT, Scott Seidman wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > I think those who insist on top posting don't do it because
> > they have a real preference for reading messages bottom to top, but
because
> > they don't like hearing that they've been doing something wrong.
>
> Hear, hear !!!

Actually, I like top posting, the relevant text is displayed in a preview
window without having to scroll through to the end. If you're keeping up
with the thread you really don't need to see what everyone else has said.
If you missed a bunch of content, then it's easy enough to read the posts in
the preview window from previous articles (as long as you're using a
newsreader that can keep topics in their respective threads). Of course, if
the first response is a bottom post, I'll keep bottom posting.
There's nothing right or wrong about top or bottom posting, as long as
they aren't mixed. But, if I had the choice I'd prefer just clicking on the
articles that interest me and seeing the latest response at the top (visible
in the preview pane) than having to click and scan through the posts that
I've already read to find the new info.

--
Floyd Burger
Anonymous

Hear what? top posters do nothing wrong, readability is maintained
and the old material is still available below the response.
Easy enough i'd say?

~S.

--
======================
ACE!!! a.k.a. ~S.

"Floyd Burger" <floyd@adelphia.not> wrote in message

> "Gerard Wassink" <DontWant@SP_aM.nl> wrote in message
> > On 15 Jul 2004 12:01:16 GMT, Scott Seidman wrote:
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> > > I think those who insist on top posting don't do it because
> > > they have a real preference for reading messages bottom to top, but
> because
> > > they don't like hearing that they've been doing something wrong.
> >
> > Hear, hear !!!
> >

> Actually, I like top posting, the relevant text is displayed in a preview
> window without having to scroll through to the end. If you're keeping up
> with the thread you really don't need to see what everyone else has said.
> If you missed a bunch of content, then it's easy enough to read the posts
in
> the preview window from previous articles (as long as you're using a
> newsreader that can keep topics in their respective threads). Of course,
if
> the first response is a bottom post, I'll keep bottom posting.
> There's nothing right or wrong about top or bottom posting, as long as
> they aren't mixed. But, if I had the choice I'd prefer just clicking on
the
> articles that interest me and seeing the latest response at the top
(visible
> in the preview pane) than having to click and scan through the posts that
> I've already read to find the new info.
>
> --
> Floyd Burger

Agreed. I really don't care, but prefer consistency. I'll just ignore some
of those mixed up posts unless it is really interesting.
Anonymous
July 17, 2004 12:33:02 AM

In article <Xns9527A5D4BCB47billgatescom@130.133.1.4>, bill@gates.com
says...
> r_z_aret@pen_fact.com wrote in
>
> <snip>
>
> > I, at least, really dislike bottom posting. When I use my newsreader
> > (Agent), I check the newest posts in a thread; having to scroll all
> > the way to the bottom of each note to see the latest info is extra
> > work.
>
> AFAIK, bottom posting implicitly imples snipping the text. IMO bottom
> posting in the way you refer to it is worse then top posting. Most
> bottom posting afficanados use bottom posting to mean "interleaved
> posting", where the reply is based on the lines above it as in this
> example and is the metod I prefer as I belive it makes the thread clearer
> for all.

And in some newsreaders (Gravity for instance) you can set the newsreader
to clip the quotes. Mine is set to only show the last for lines of quote
before the new post text. I can toggle it on or off with a keystroke.

A: Top-posting!
Q: What annoys you most about Usenet?
Anonymous
July 17, 2004 12:33:03 AM

New at the top, old at the bottom. It's the first that a
reader sees. It's the same in mail clients, new mail starts
at the top, not the bottom. Ofcourse that's a user setting,
doing it the other way around is giving yourself the extra
pointless job of scrolling through your old mail before you
reach the new mail. Then again, there are people who enjoy
that kind of thing.

[10:58am] A: People who waste bytes on a comment like this
[10:45am] Q: What annoys you most about Usenet?

~S.

Keith Rodgers <keithr3@NOJUNKclear.net,nz> wrote in

> A: Top-posting!
> Q: What annoys you most about Usenet?

--
======================
ACE!!! a.k.a. ~S.
OS. Osaris / Psion 5mx
iPAQ 5550 / Nokia 6310
HTTP://www.xarane.com
======================
Anonymous
July 18, 2004 12:18:44 PM

Reply to message from Keith Rodgers <keithr3@NOJUNKclear.net,nz> (Fri, 16
Jul 2004 04:33:02) about "Re: Top-posting":

I agree. Unfortunately Qusnetsoft does it that way. Good reader, but could
use work on the guoting side. :-)

Bye
"Ed Hansberry, MS-MVP/Mobile Devices" <spamfree-silvernino@hotmail.
spambegone.com> Sun, 18 Jul 2004 08:12:48 -0400

=== Posted with NewsReader 2.2.0.5

A: Top-posting!
Q: What annoys you most about Usenet?
Anonymous
July 21, 2004 10:41:59 AM

"Martin" <martin@scotland.org> wrote:

>Gerard Wassink wrote:
>> Absolutely no offense meant, but top-posting seems to be the rule
>> here. Is that because y'all are posting from your PPC's?
>>
>> http://www.html-faq.com/etiquette/?toppost
>
>Probably 'cos we're all using Qusnetsoft, which defaults a reply post to the
>top. I'm not to keen on doing it myself, but I can't always be bothered
>cutting and pasting...

You can change that by having it QUOTE when you reply.
July 21, 2004 10:43:58 AM

Gerard Wassink <DontWant@SP_aM.nl> wrote:

>Oh well, I'm not that keen on it, I was just wondering. In the Linux groups
>people get slapped on the wrists now and again for doing this, and I had
>gotten used to that way of poasting...

Bottom posting is the rule of thumb. Quoting enough of the previous
post so your current answer is good netiquette, trimming the garbage.
Underquoting or no quoting is not good either since those that have
their news reader set to hide read messages (great in Qusnetsoft's PPC
newsreader) have no clue what a post is about if they are reading
dozens of threads over days as messages trickle in.