Sony710A will not recognize CDs

Suddenly my Sony 710A will not recognize CDs. It recognizes, plays and
records to DVDs with no problems. I have the latest firmware (BY02) and
even installed a new cable to no avail. The unit is still under warranty
and I suspect I will have to return it but I thought I would check here to
see if anyone else has experienced this problem and explore possible
solutions.

myob

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2004

I have same drive... but haven't encountered any problems.
If you had another computer or an external USB/Firewire case that you could
put it in to test out, might be useful in diagnosing whether it's the drive
or the computer.

"Gigli" <gigli@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Suddenly my Sony 710A will not recognize CDs. It recognizes, plays and
> records to DVDs with no problems. I have the latest firmware (BY02) and
> even installed a new cable to no avail. The unit is still under warranty
> and I suspect I will have to return it but I thought I would check here to
> see if anyone else has experienced this problem and explore possible
> solutions.

I finally got through to Sony and they indicated that the CD laser was
probably gone while the DVD laser was operating correctly. The unit is on
its way back to them for service or replacement.