MSI KM4M won't boot

Can anyone help? I've been attempting to build a system for a friend
with a new MSI KM4M-L MicroATX board, Athlon XP 2400+, 2 x 256MB
PC-2700 DDR. When powering up the board, the CPU fan starts up
normally, but there is no output to the monitor either via the onboard
VGA or when using a separate AGP Video card. I know each of the
additional components are ok as I have taken them from another
machine, it simply appears that there is no video coming form the
mainboard.

The PSU is a 300W JeanTech unit supposedly "designed for Athlon XP and
P4 systems" so I am assuming there is no problem here. This CPU was
previously used on a system running an MSI KT3 Ultra 2/Athlon XP and
was fine!

I have already sent the motherboard back to the retailer who has
tested it and sent it back claiming it worked fine at their end. I am
now on the verge of tearing out my hair unless someone can shed some
light on this!

The old "no video but the fans spin up OK" scenario seems to be
a common one among MSI motherboards.
Three things you can try.
1. Make sure your reset switch isn't stuck. Disconnect the cable
from the MB then see if it will boot up.
2. Double check that your power supply is properly connected.
The newer Athlon XP processors, especially the Athlon 64s require
that you hook up the auxilary power connector to the MB. Disregard
if your MB doesn't have one. If you've got a multimeter, check the
output voltages on the power supply.
3. This one is weird but it fixed my problem. For reasons unknown,
some MSI motherboards will not boot if:
a. you turn on the power strip and:
b. turn your computer on immediately.
Plug in your computer, turn on the power strip (Do not turn on the
computer), then go grab a beer. I have no idea why it works, but
letting the computer sit for 30 seconds to a minute before poking
the computers power button will often alleviate your problem.

Hope this helps.

"Steven Hunter" <stevehunter2004-tech@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
[...]

It could just be that the power supply isnt sending enough for the
motherboard and cpu to initialize.

If you can try to boot up with ONLY 1 stick of tested memory, floppy drive,
and cpu, using onboard video. See if you can get to the BIOS screen that
way.

Dont have any extension cords, or KVM switches between your monitor and
video output.

If is still doesnt come up, could be your power supply, just isnt cutting
it.

"Steven Hunter" <stevehunter2004-tech@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Can anyone help? I've been attempting to build a system for a friend
> with a new MSI KM4M-L MicroATX board, Athlon XP 2400+, 2 x 256MB
> PC-2700 DDR. When powering up the board, the CPU fan starts up
> normally, but there is no output to the monitor either via the onboard
> VGA or when using a separate AGP Video card. I know each of the
> additional components are ok as I have taken them from another
> machine, it simply appears that there is no video coming form the
> mainboard.
>
> The PSU is a 300W JeanTech unit supposedly "designed for Athlon XP and
> P4 systems" so I am assuming there is no problem here. This CPU was
> previously used on a system running an MSI KT3 Ultra 2/Athlon XP and
> was fine!
>
> I have already sent the motherboard back to the retailer who has
> tested it and sent it back claiming it worked fine at their end. I am
> now on the verge of tearing out my hair unless someone can shed some
> light on this!

Thanks guys, stuffed a new PSU in there and Bingo. Guess the old one
wasn't pumping out enough juice, strange though as it was previously
in a machine using the exact same CPU/RAM/Graphics card, but on a
different MoBo!

Ah well, at least I can keep my few remaining patches of hair,
hopefully the rest will grow back one day!

"Sept1967" <sept1967@highstream(remove).net> wrote in message news:<109aa566sm3mj46@corp.supernews.com>...
> It could just be that the power supply isnt sending enough for the
> motherboard and cpu to initialize.
>
> If you can try to boot up with ONLY 1 stick of tested memory, floppy drive,
> and cpu, using onboard video. See if you can get to the BIOS screen that
> way.
>
> Dont have any extension cords, or KVM switches between your monitor and
> video output.
>
> If is still doesnt come up, could be your power supply, just isnt cutting
> it.
>

> "Steven Hunter" <stevehunter2004-tech@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> > Can anyone help? I've been attempting to build a system for a friend
> > with a new MSI KM4M-L MicroATX board, Athlon XP 2400+, 2 x 256MB
> > PC-2700 DDR. When powering up the board, the CPU fan starts up
> > normally, but there is no output to the monitor either via the onboard
> > VGA or when using a separate AGP Video card. I know each of the
> > additional components are ok as I have taken them from another
> > machine, it simply appears that there is no video coming form the
> > mainboard.
> >
> > The PSU is a 300W JeanTech unit supposedly "designed for Athlon XP and
> > P4 systems" so I am assuming there is no problem here. This CPU was
> > previously used on a system running an MSI KT3 Ultra 2/Athlon XP and
> > was fine!
> >
> > I have already sent the motherboard back to the retailer who has
> > tested it and sent it back claiming it worked fine at their end. I am
> > now on the verge of tearing out my hair unless someone can shed some
> > light on this!

Ditto,
Got my KM4M-l from Savastore yesterday. Loaded it with a new
2800+ and 512 of 2700 DDR memory and nothing. Behaviour exactly like yours.

Anyone one else out there with a similar problem?

Oh, mine came 'boxed' in a 'Shuttle' mobo box with all the cables etc.
wrapped up with the mobo.

mac

Steven Hunter wrote:
> Can anyone help? I've been attempting to build a system for a friend
> with a new MSI KM4M-L MicroATX board, Athlon XP 2400+, 2 x 256MB
> PC-2700 DDR. When powering up the board, the CPU fan starts up
> normally, but there is no output to the monitor either via the onboard
> VGA or when using a separate AGP Video card. I know each of the
> additional components are ok as I have taken them from another
> machine, it simply appears that there is no video coming form the
> mainboard.
>
> The PSU is a 300W JeanTech unit supposedly "designed for Athlon XP and
> P4 systems" so I am assuming there is no problem here. This CPU was
> previously used on a system running an MSI KT3 Ultra 2/Athlon XP and
> was fine!
>
> I have already sent the motherboard back to the retailer who has
> tested it and sent it back claiming it worked fine at their end. I am
> now on the verge of tearing out my hair unless someone can shed some
> light on this!

My friend got the KM4M last week and the same thing with his. He had two
sticks of 256 memory. The problem was that one of the sticks was bad. He
replaced it and now boots just fine. See if you have or can borrow another
stick of DDR that you know is good and try that in place of yours to see if
it was the problem or not. It don't have to be 512.

"Mike Connon" <mike.connon@virgin.net> wrote in message
> Ditto,
> Got my KM4M-l from Savastore yesterday. Loaded it with a new
> 2800+ and 512 of 2700 DDR memory and nothing. Behaviour exactly like
yours.

> Anyone one else out there with a similar problem?
>
> Oh, mine came 'boxed' in a 'Shuttle' mobo box with all the cables etc.
> wrapped up with the mobo.
>
> mac
>
> Steven Hunter wrote:
> > Can anyone help? I've been attempting to build a system for a friend
> > with a new MSI KM4M-L MicroATX board, Athlon XP 2400+, 2 x 256MB
> > PC-2700 DDR. When powering up the board, the CPU fan starts up
> > normally, but there is no output to the monitor either via the onboard
> > VGA or when using a separate AGP Video card. I know each of the
> > additional components are ok as I have taken them from another
> > machine, it simply appears that there is no video coming form the
> > mainboard.
> >
> > The PSU is a 300W JeanTech unit supposedly "designed for Athlon XP and
> > P4 systems" so I am assuming there is no problem here. This CPU was
> > previously used on a system running an MSI KT3 Ultra 2/Athlon XP and
> > was fine!
> >
> > I have already sent the motherboard back to the retailer who has
> > tested it and sent it back claiming it worked fine at their end. I am
> > now on the verge of tearing out my hair unless someone can shed some
> > light on this!

Changed the power supply and eventually got it to boot to bios and then
XP. Got home tonight and what do you know, back to square 1, no boot to
bios!

What should the cpu frequency settings be for a 2800+ Athalon?

mac