Boot Problem: windowssystem32configsystem

Hi,

I've been getting the following message when trying to boot up my
computer

windows could not start because the following file is missing or
corrupt:
\windows\system32\config\system

I've been looking through the posts here and have tried some of what
has been suggested but no luck. Here is what has happened so far.

I've tried:
- Booting to Safe Mode - F8. Tried this but it won't boot into safe
mode.

- Booting from my Windows XP disk and tried to do a repair install by
selecting the "To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER." Then to the "To
repair the selected Windows XP installation" and pressing R. After
that nothing happens, the computer just hangs.

- Booting from my Windows XP disk and tried the "To repair a Windows XP
installation using the Recovery Console, press R". I select the
install I want to repair (only one) and the computer just hangs.

All of this to no avail.

The only thing I haven't tried yet is to try the fresh install because
there is data on there that I don't want to erase (if I don't have to).

Based on the above that my computer is freezing when trying to select
these options is it possible my HD is fried? And if would it even be
possible to pull the info off of there?
I am so stuck. Any advice would be great. TIA
6 answers Last reply
More about boot problem windowssystem32configsystem

    Thorsten Matzner wrote:

    > See "How to Recover from a Corrupted Registry"
    > (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307545).

    Thanks Thorsten but I should have mentioned in my original post that
    the OS we an OEM installation meaning A.) the solution you provided
    wouldn't work and B.) Even if it wasn't an OEM installation in my
    original post I mentioned that from the Recovery Console the machine
    freezes, I can't do anything.

    I've seen posts similar with the exact same problem but no one has ever
    been able to provide a solution.
    Thanks for trying. Any other possibilities?

    Billy D

    billyd1970@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've been getting the following message when trying to boot up my
    > computer
    >
    > windows could not start because the following file is missing or
    > corrupt:
    > \windows\system32\config\system
    >
    > I've been looking through the posts here and have tried some of what
    > has been suggested but no luck. Here is what has happened so far.
    >
    > I've tried:
    > - Booting to Safe Mode - F8. Tried this but it won't boot into safe
    > mode.
    >
    > - Booting from my Windows XP disk and tried to do a repair install by
    > selecting the "To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER." Then to the "To
    > repair the selected Windows XP installation" and pressing R. After
    > that nothing happens, the computer just hangs.
    >
    > - Booting from my Windows XP disk and tried the "To repair a Windows XP
    > installation using the Recovery Console, press R". I select the
    > install I want to repair (only one) and the computer just hangs.
    >
    > All of this to no avail.
    >
    > The only thing I haven't tried yet is to try the fresh install because
    > there is data on there that I don't want to erase (if I don't have to).
    >
    > Based on the above that my computer is freezing when trying to select
    > these options is it possible my HD is fried? And if would it even be
    > possible to pull the info off of there?
    > I am so stuck. Any advice would be great. TIA

    How to Recover from a Corrupted Registry that Prevents Windows XP from
    Starting
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307545

    Once you've recovered, you might want to look here, as well:

    How to Troubleshoot Registry Corruption Issues
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822705

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    billyd1970@yahoo.com wrote:

    >I've been getting the following message when trying to boot up my
    >computer
    >
    >windows could not start because the following file is missing or
    >corrupt:
    >\windows\system32\config\system

    See "How to Recover from a Corrupted Registry"
    (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307545).

    --
    (tm)

    your not going to like this answer, but........

    fresh install might be your best bet.

    sounds like something got ya, or user error.... i'll go with something got
    ya. but i sounds to me like your doing a fresh install.

    billyd1970@yahoo.com wrote:

    >Thanks Thorsten but I should have mentioned in my original post that
    >the OS we an OEM installation meaning A.) the solution you provided
    >wouldn't work and B.) Even if it wasn't an OEM installation in my
    >original post I mentioned that from the Recovery Console the machine
    >freezes, I can't do anything.

    This may mean that you have to reinstall Windows. See the manual for
    the PC for about how to do this.

    --
    (tm)

    Yeah, I was thinking that was the case. Bummer!

Boot Windows XP