If you are going to use an Athlon 64 and use Microsoft Word, don't get a
Radeon 9800. I don't know about any other Radeons. Their driver (Catalyst)
and MS Word do not play together well. Running MS Word will cause your
system to automatically reboot, usually within 2 minutes after MS Word has
started.

If you are having this problem already, uninstall the Radeon driver and see
if MS Word works. You'll see that it does. Reinstall the drivers and MS
Word won't work.

There are some that have installed old versions of the Radeon drivers and
even Radeon 9600 drivers for their Radeon 9800 and got MS Word to work with
it.

Radeon's fix is to dummy down the board to where you might as well have
gotten a cheap generic graphics card.

My solution was to get an nVidia 6800. Works like a charm.

-------------
Richard A. Higgins

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

Richard Higgins wrote:
> If you are going to use an Athlon 64 and use Microsoft Word, don't get a
> Radeon 9800. I don't know about any other Radeons. Their driver (Catalyst)
> and MS Word do not play together well. Running MS Word will cause your
> system to automatically reboot, usually within 2 minutes after MS Word has
> started.
>
> If you are having this problem already, uninstall the Radeon driver and see
> if MS Word works. You'll see that it does. Reinstall the drivers and MS
> Word won't work.
>
> There are some that have installed old versions of the Radeon drivers and
> even Radeon 9600 drivers for their Radeon 9800 and got MS Word to work with
> it.
>
> Radeon's fix is to dummy down the board to where you might as well have
> gotten a cheap generic graphics card.
>
> My solution was to get an nVidia 6800. Works like a charm.
>
> -------------
> Richard A. Higgins

I do have that problem running an AMD FX53 and ATI Radeon 9800XT

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Could be your AMD processor. I'm running a Radeon 9600 Pro w/256Mb of RAM on
an ABIT IC7-MAX3 with Intel P4 3.0GHz and Word runs just fine.

"Richard Higgins" <higginsoft@cox.net> wrote in message
> If you are going to use an Athlon 64 and use Microsoft Word, don't get a
> Radeon 9800. I don't know about any other Radeons. Their driver
> (Catalyst) and MS Word do not play together well. Running MS Word will
> cause your system to automatically reboot, usually within 2 minutes after
> MS Word has started.
>
> If you are having this problem already, uninstall the Radeon driver and
> see if MS Word works. You'll see that it does. Reinstall the drivers and
> MS Word won't work.
>
> There are some that have installed old versions of the Radeon drivers and
> even Radeon 9600 drivers for their Radeon 9800 and got MS Word to work
> with it.
>
> Radeon's fix is to dummy down the board to where you might as well have
> gotten a cheap generic graphics card.
>
> My solution was to get an nVidia 6800. Works like a charm.
>
> -------------
> Richard A. Higgins

only radeon card i have seen issues with was the ATI radeon9700, but the
drivers just seemed to hate XP.

Richard Higgins wrote:

> If you are going to use an Athlon 64 and use Microsoft Word, don't get a
> Radeon 9800. I don't know about any other Radeons. Their driver (Catalyst)
> and MS Word do not play together well. Running MS Word will cause your
> system to automatically reboot, usually within 2 minutes after MS Word has
> started.
>
> If you are having this problem already, uninstall the Radeon driver and see
> if MS Word works. You'll see that it does. Reinstall the drivers and MS
> Word won't work.
>
> There are some that have installed old versions of the Radeon drivers and
> even Radeon 9600 drivers for their Radeon 9800 and got MS Word to work with
> it.
>
> Radeon's fix is to dummy down the board to where you might as well have
> gotten a cheap generic graphics card.
>
> My solution was to get an nVidia 6800. Works like a charm.

Download OpenOffice and dump Word.

May make your system work CORRECTLY. MS products are bloated.

Gary wrote:
> And this will do what?
>
>>Download OpenOffice and dump Word.

Give you a non M$ word processor that probably only Linux users can open

Rick wrote:
> Gary wrote:
>> And this will do what?
>>> Download OpenOffice and dump Word.
> Give you a non M$ word processor that probably only Linux users can open

/me goes into Start > Programs > OpenOffice > Text Document.

That was really difficult.

Absolute rubbish, I've had no problems whatsoever, perhaps before posting
such misinformation you need to get you fact correct. If the was indeed a
issue then the AMD newsgroups would be buzzing - and they are not.....
ChrisC
"Richard Higgins" <higginsoft@cox.net> wrote in message
> If you are going to use an Athlon 64 and use Microsoft Word, don't get a
> Radeon 9800. I don't know about any other Radeons. Their driver
> (Catalyst) and MS Word do not play together well. Running MS Word will
> cause your system to automatically reboot, usually within 2 minutes after
> MS Word has started.
>
> If you are having this problem already, uninstall the Radeon driver and
> see if MS Word works. You'll see that it does. Reinstall the drivers and
> MS Word won't work.
>
> There are some that have installed old versions of the Radeon drivers and
> even Radeon 9600 drivers for their Radeon 9800 and got MS Word to work
> with it.
>
> Radeon's fix is to dummy down the board to where you might as well have
> gotten a cheap generic graphics card.
>
> My solution was to get an nVidia 6800. Works like a charm.
>
> -------------
> Richard A. Higgins

Not rubbish. Has been posted many other places, just not here. The problem
was very prevalent when AMD first released the 64 bits chips. It was usually
a combination of VIA chipsets, ATI AGP video cards, & AMD64 processors. Most
advice seemed to center around reducing AGP bus to 4x and/or disabling
fastwrites in the mobo bios.

"Chris Catt" <cuke(nospam)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Absolute rubbish, I've had no problems whatsoever, perhaps before posting
> such misinformation you need to get you fact correct. If the was indeed a
> issue then the AMD newsgroups would be buzzing - and they are not.....
> ChrisC
> "Richard Higgins" <higginsoft@cox.net> wrote in message
> > If you are going to use an Athlon 64 and use Microsoft Word, don't get a
> > Radeon 9800. I don't know about any other Radeons. Their driver
> > (Catalyst) and MS Word do not play together well. Running MS Word will
> > cause your system to automatically reboot, usually within 2 minutes
after
> > MS Word has started.
> >
> > If you are having this problem already, uninstall the Radeon driver and
> > see if MS Word works. You'll see that it does. Reinstall the drivers
and
> > MS Word won't work.
> >
> > There are some that have installed old versions of the Radeon drivers
and
> > even Radeon 9600 drivers for their Radeon 9800 and got MS Word to work
> > with it.
> >
> > Radeon's fix is to dummy down the board to where you might as well have
> > gotten a cheap generic graphics card.
> >
> > My solution was to get an nVidia 6800. Works like a charm.
> >
> > -------------
> > Richard A. Higgins

Hi, it is rubbish as there no such problem. I frequent many AMD64 and ATI
newsgroups and I've seen a few issues relating to different video cards and
various motherboard, CPU, chipset manufacturers. But none, I repeat, none,
down to what the poster is stating about Radeon9800, AMD64 and word. That is
simply not true and just another myth being put around...
ChrisC

Rick wrote:

> Gary wrote:
> > And this will do what?
> >
> >>Download OpenOffice and dump Word.
> >>

> Give you a non M$ word processor that probably only Linux users can open

I've never used OpenOffice in Linux, only Windows. I've even read MS Word,
Excel and PowerPoint files with it. It is amazing how much smaller these
files get when you save it in OO format.