bryan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

i have a compaq petium 2 laptop running windows XP with a 6gb hard drive and
128mb of ram... i dont really know much about laptop i was told it could be
updated.. what type of ram would i need to buy? can i do it my self? would it
replace the 128 or be added?

www.crucial.com
or
www.kingston.com

Both will tell you what you can go up to and what is compatible. For
installation instructions, see the notebook manual.
www.coribright.com

"Bryan" <Bryan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i have a compaq petium 2 laptop running windows XP with a 6gb hard drive
>and
> 128mb of ram... i dont really know much about laptop i was told it could
> be
> updated.. what type of ram would i need to buy? can i do it my self? would
> it
> replace the 128 or be added?

You need to know the exact model, then go to www.crucial.com
and use their memory finder to get the details.

"Bryan" <Bryan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
|i have a compaq petium 2 laptop running windows XP with a
6gb hard drive and
| 128mb of ram... i dont really know much about laptop i was
told it could be
| updated.. what type of ram would i need to buy? can i do
it my self? would it
| replace the 128 or be added?

bar

The Compaq user guide will give you all you need to now about RAM - maximum
amount, number of upgrade slots etc.

These laptops fortunately used a generic module [form factor and
specification] and from my recollection it was a SO-DIMM, EDO memory module.
[Small outline, dual in-line memory module: extended data out].

They were commonplace and relatively cheap: but may be hard to find today.

Go with your laprtop to a PC shop who may have them available, just call
around and locate a supplier first. Open up the memory cover and plug in the
module; I'm sure the sales assistant could help you out. Then boot up the
PC. It will be immediately obvious if it works or not. Alsothey generally
have only one additional RAM slot, so get as much memory as you can afford,
up to the system [BIOS] maximum: any more is wasted. I'd expect that this
machine can handle up to 512Mb, so you might have 64Mb on the motherboard and
a 64Mb SODIMM installed. Take out the 64Mb SODIMM and plug in a 512Mb SODIMM.

You may also find that the video adapter 'shares' or takes up some of the
system RAM and that your total available memory to Windows is less than the
amount installed. It's OK.

"Jim Macklin" wrote:

> You need to know the exact model, then go to www.crucial.com
> and use their memory finder to get the details.

> "Bryan" <Bryan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> |i have a compaq petium 2 laptop running windows XP with a
> 6gb hard drive and
> | 128mb of ram... i dont really know much about laptop i was
> told it could be
> | updated.. what type of ram would i need to buy? can i do
> it my self? would it
> | replace the 128 or be added?

That laptop has to be at least five years old. Have you give consideration
to saving your money and buying a new laptop. You can get a Dell running a
Celeron processor (not cutting edge, but about a jillion times faster than
that P2 your laptop is running now) with 512 MB of RAM, a 15 inch screen, a
large harddrive, a DVD - CD-RW combo drive and a bunch of other stuff for
about $800.00.

"Bryan" <Bryan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> i have a compaq petium 2 laptop running windows XP with a 6gb hard drive
and
> 128mb of ram... i dont really know much about laptop i was told it could
be
> updated.. what type of ram would i need to buy? can i do it my self? would
it
> replace the 128 or be added?

try going to www.hp.com and looking for the specs on your laptop, it will
tell you the amount that was stock, number of slots and the max it will
hold. odds are you have 2 slots with 1 slot changable, is you only have 1
slot being used your fine added another chip, if you have both being used
you'll need to remove one of add a larger size.

Bryan wrote:
> i have a compaq petium 2 laptop running windows XP with a 6gb hard
> drive and 128mb of ram... i dont really know much about laptop i was
> told it could be updated.. what type of ram would i need to buy? can
> i do it my self? would it replace the 128 or be added?

6GB?! I'd quit worrying about the RAM and start worrying about running out
of disk space! You need to quadruple the HD at the very least - adding 384MB
RAM would be beneficial too - though the rest of your system may not be up
to scratch if it's only a Pentium 2. If you need to run an NT-based OS on
it, then go with 2000, it's much less resource hungry.
on salads.