MSI 875P Neo-FISR RAID problem

Jim

Hi
I have recently bought a 875P Neo-FISR mobo plus one Seagate S-ATA disk
drive which I want to set up as (part of) a RAID 1 volume, with Windows
XP installed on it. So to avoid much hassle when I get my second hard
drive I have to configure it as RAID in the BIOS before installing XP.

I gather that in order to get the RAID BIOS screen to appear, with its
invitation to press CTRL-I to configure RAID, I must set 'Configure
S-ATA as RAID' to yes under 'on-chip IDE configuration'. (It doesn't
actually say so in the manual - too obvious, I suppose ;-) ). The
trouble is that if I do, it then hangs on 'Checking NVRAM ..' for 30 sec
before giving up and starting the boot again, resulting in the same
thing repeating indefinitely. The only way to get out of it seems to be
to clear the CMOS using the jumper trick - pressing DEL or CTRL-I has no
effect. I have tried various settings under 'on-chip IDE configuration'
and the same thing always happens if 'Configure S-ATA as RAID' is set to
yes and never if it is set to no.

With RAID not configured I can install XP and everything works fine, but
no RAID of course.

What can I have done to cause this to happen? Or have I got a duff RAID
chip?

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Regards,
--
Jim

Jim

In message <d67e10db.0405041536.1fb953e0@posting.google.com>, Chris
<Airdale@cox.net> writes
>Check out this forum they should have your answer.
>
>http://forum.msi.com.tw/board.php?boardid=10&sid=94ec10a6b853b8a4f2536f4
>44c6839c9

Thanks, it certainly looks promising,
--