LCD question

I am confused at the different available interfaces available for an LCD
flat screen monitor.

Correct me if I am wrong, but a 15 Pin D-Sub is compatible with my Intel
Extreme Graphics 2 connector.

I am also confused about how DVI, Video & TV make a difference in quality
with a compatible graphics card.

Is a 15 pin D-Sub for normal connections?

Yes

DVI is a digital signal that controls each pixel on an LCD.
All other signals are analog, which means that the video
signal is an average and the picture is just close to the
true picture. A particular pixel might be green and another
might be red, and it might be different if you run it again.

Intel Extreme Graphics is just a name for standard analog
video output of an analog signal from on-board graphics. It
is better that the top end graphics cards of a decade ago,
and far below the performance of a modern AGP or PCI Express
video card. It is just fine for everybody except the person
whose reason for having a computer is to play games.

Games will usually play best on a CRT, which is analog
because the CRT has a faster response time, although newer
LCDs are getting faster.

A digital LCD should be the sharpest and clearest display.

What ever looks good to your eye is "the best" for you.

"Rob Bacon" <robert@nospam.com> wrote in message
|I am confused at the different available interfaces
available for an LCD
| flat screen monitor.
|
| Correct me if I am wrong, but a 15 Pin D-Sub is compatible
with my Intel
| Extreme Graphics 2 connector.
|
| I am also confused about how DVI, Video & TV make a
difference in quality
| with a compatible graphics card.
|
| Is a 15 pin D-Sub for normal connections?

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

How do I ensure I get a digital LCD? So does that mean I have to get an AGP
Video Card for a digital LCD? Or can I still use my Intel Extreme Graphics 2
port for a digital LCD?

> Yes
>
> DVI is a digital signal that controls each pixel on an LCD.
> All other signals are analog, which means that the video
> signal is an average and the picture is just close to the
> true picture. A particular pixel might be green and another
> might be red, and it might be different if you run it again.
>
> Intel Extreme Graphics is just a name for standard analog
> video output of an analog signal from on-board graphics. It
> is better that the top end graphics cards of a decade ago,
> and far below the performance of a modern AGP or PCI Express
> video card. It is just fine for everybody except the person
> whose reason for having a computer is to play games.
>
> Games will usually play best on a CRT, which is analog
> because the CRT has a faster response time, although newer
> LCDs are getting faster.
>
> A digital LCD should be the sharpest and clearest display.
>
> What ever looks good to your eye is "the best" for you.

> "Rob Bacon" <robert@nospam.com> wrote in message
> |I am confused at the different available interfaces
> available for an LCD
> | flat screen monitor.
> |
> | Correct me if I am wrong, but a 15 Pin D-Sub is compatible
> with my Intel
> | Extreme Graphics 2 connector.
> |
> | I am also confused about how DVI, Video & TV make a
> difference in quality
> | with a compatible graphics card.
> |
> | Is a 15 pin D-Sub for normal connections?

To get Digital signals out, you would need to buy an AGP video card with a
DVI connector.

However, if you get a LCD with the 15 pin VGA connector, you can still use
your Intel graphics card.

AS of TV and Video, these connectors are use to allow you to connect a
regular TV/VCR to your PC. They do not provide good resolutions for
programs/games but may provide good resolution on playing movies (DVD or
downloaded one)?

Rob Bacon wrote:
> I am confused at the different available interfaces available for an
> LCD flat screen monitor.

There are only two in common use...

> Correct me if I am wrong, but a 15 Pin D-Sub is compatible with my
> Intel Extreme Graphics 2 connector.

Yes, it is compatible, and that's #1.

> I am also confused about DVI

....and that's #2. DVI is a digital interface and may give you better
picture, especially at higher resolutions. It really starts to make a
difference at 1600x1200 and up.

Virtually all units that have DVI also have the analog D-sub interface and
you can use either. If you are shopping for a large LCD that you plan to
keep a while, it would be a good idea to get one with a DVI input -- even if
your present graphics card doesn't have a DVI output.

> Video & TV

.... might be available in addition to the above, and would allow you to
connect the unit to a VCR or a DVD player, or perhaps a gaming console.
Some may even have built-in TV tuner and some speakers, so you could use
them as a standalone television.

These options are handy for college dorm rooms and other tight spaces, but
have nothing to do with using the unit as a computer display.

--
Chris Priede (priede@panix.com)