Yesterday I installed a new IDE 160gb HD on a Celeron 733 computer.

However, when I installed WindowsXP, the setup only formated my HD to
approx. 131000mb (~128gb)...

Why do I have this lost of space? Is it because it's an older computer?
Can I get the missing space back? without re-installing windows? Perhaps
with another partition? Is there a partition utility with WinXP?

Hello

Justa good article to read ok see lin below

http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/faq/137_winxp.html

Alvin

Michel Racicot wrote:

> Yesterday I installed a new IDE 160gb HD on a Celeron 733 computer.
>
> However, when I installed WindowsXP, the setup only formated my HD to
> approx. 131000mb (~128gb)...
>
> Why do I have this lost of space? Is it because it's an older computer?
> Can I get the missing space back? without re-installing windows? Perhaps
> with another partition? Is there a partition utility with WinXP?

peter

HI,

I think SP1 is not included in your XP CD.
You should install SP1/SP2.
Go to disk management and format/partition the free space on the HDD.
If you want just a big C drive, you need 3rd party softwares, e.g. partition
magic 8.0

Peter

"Michel Racicot" wrote:

> Yesterday I installed a new IDE 160gb HD on a Celeron 733 computer.
>
> However, when I installed WindowsXP, the setup only formated my HD to
> approx. 131000mb (~128gb)...
>
> Why do I have this lost of space? Is it because it's an older computer?
> Can I get the missing space back? without re-installing windows? Perhaps
> with another partition? Is there a partition utility with WinXP?

Thank you very much... very informative.

Peter wrote:
> HI,
>
> I think SP1 is not included in your XP CD.
> You should install SP1/SP2.

Which wouldn't help one iota as his BIOS is probably too ancient to support
drives that size. He would need to see what updates are available for the
BIOS.

on salads.

Michel Racicot wrote:

>Yesterday I installed a new IDE 160gb HD on a Celeron 733 computer.
>
>However, when I installed WindowsXP, the setup only formated my HD to
>approx. 131000mb (~128gb)...
>
>Why do I have this lost of space?

To use a disk bigger than 128 GB requires support for '48 bit LBA'
so as to be able to hold a unique address for every sector - the old 28
bit overflows at this point

That needs a machine with BIOS and controllers that support this and XP
with at least SP1. At that when installing XP to it, I think the setup
will not provide 48 bit. A single partition on a disk that size is not
sensible anyway.

Make sure that your BIOS is OK, and recognises the disk at full size

Start over, formatting the drive (in Setup after booting the XP CD, in
New Install, hit ESC when it asks where, delete the present partition,
make a new one. 20 GB or so should be plenty for system and programs).
Then with the system installed run the upgrade to at least SP1 - I would
get the SP2 CD, free from
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx
and run that as first action. Then reboot.

Control Panel - Admin Tools - Computer Management, select Disk
Management and look lower right for the graphic of the drive. R-click
the Unallocated space and take Create Partition