Floppy Disk Hell

January 26, 2005 1:33:07 PM

Can anyone tell me if it's at all possible to retrieve information from a
floppy that is now reading "Disk is not formatted. Do you wish to format
now?", or is it totally lost? The information was on there but suddenly I
can't get any PC to read the disk and I know if I click yes to format then
the information is gone anyway. I realize it's highly unlikely but if anyone
knows of anything that might help me retrieve the information, I'd be
extremely grateful.

Thanks

More about : floppy disk hell

Anonymous
January 26, 2005 3:44:07 PM

Find another computer and get a "second opinion" on the floppy.

Shaz wrote:

> Can anyone tell me if it's at all possible to retrieve information from a
> floppy that is now reading "Disk is not formatted. Do you wish to format
> now?", or is it totally lost? The information was on there but suddenly I
> can't get any PC to read the disk and I know if I click yes to format then
> the information is gone anyway. I realize it's highly unlikely but if anyone
> knows of anything that might help me retrieve the information, I'd be
> extremely grateful.
>
> Thanks

January 26, 2005 3:44:08 PM

Already tried that, on 3 different PC's. No joy unfortunately!!

"Bob I" wrote:

> Find another computer and get a "second opinion" on the floppy.
>
> Shaz wrote:
>
> > Can anyone tell me if it's at all possible to retrieve information from a
> > floppy that is now reading "Disk is not formatted. Do you wish to format
> > now?", or is it totally lost? The information was on there but suddenly I
> > can't get any PC to read the disk and I know if I click yes to format then
> > the information is gone anyway. I realize it's highly unlikely but if anyone
> > knows of anything that might help me retrieve the information, I'd be
> > extremely grateful.
> >
> > Thanks

Related resources
January 26, 2005 5:38:12 PM

Bob I wrote:
> Find another computer and get a "second opinion" on the floppy.
>
> Shaz wrote:
>
>> Can anyone tell me if it's at all possible to retrieve information
>> from a floppy that is now reading "Disk is not formatted. Do you wish
>> to format now?", or is it totally lost? The information was on there
>> but suddenly I can't get any PC to read the disk and I know if I click
>> yes to format then the information is gone anyway. I realize it's
>> highly unlikely but if anyone knows of anything that might help me
>> retrieve the information, I'd be extremely grateful.
>>
>> Thanks

He states that he "can't get any PC to read the disk..." That tells me
that he's tried at least one other PC.

I hope that now he understands the unreliability of floppy disks as a
storage medium.

posted here. No warranty, express or implied, is given with the posting
of this message.
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 7:53:07 PM

That doesn't sound good. Around here I fire up a copy of Diskedit on a
DOS box and copy off the sectors to rebuild the disk. You might look
around for a Windows program to do the same.

null wrote:

> Bob I wrote:
>
>> Find another computer and get a "second opinion" on the floppy.
>>
>> Shaz wrote:
>>
>>> Can anyone tell me if it's at all possible to retrieve information
>>> from a floppy that is now reading "Disk is not formatted. Do you
>>> wish to format now?", or is it totally lost? The information was on
>>> there but suddenly I can't get any PC to read the disk and I know if
>>> I click yes to format then the information is gone anyway. I realize
>>> it's highly unlikely but if anyone knows of anything that might help
>>> me retrieve the information, I'd be extremely grateful.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>

> He states that he "can't get any PC to read the disk..." That tells me
> that he's tried at least one other PC.
>
> I hope that now he understands the unreliability of floppy disks as a
> storage medium.

Anonymous
January 26, 2005 10:34:25 PM

yes you can get the data back depends on how much you want to spend. I would
find a win98 box and install Norton utilities on it and try to recover the
data using Norton Disc Doctor. You can send the disk out to a data recovery
service and they can get the data back for sure for the right $$$

Wayne

"Shaz" <Shaz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone tell me if it's at all possible to retrieve information from a
> floppy that is now reading "Disk is not formatted. Do you wish to format
> now?", or is it totally lost? The information was on there but suddenly I
> can't get any PC to read the disk and I know if I click yes to format then
> the information is gone anyway. I realize it's highly unlikely but if
> anyone
> knows of anything that might help me retrieve the information, I'd be
> extremely grateful.
>
> Thanks
January 26, 2005 11:23:48 PM

Shaz wrote:

> Can anyone tell me if it's at all possible to retrieve information from a
> floppy that is now reading "Disk is not formatted. Do you wish to format
> now?", or is it totally lost? The information was on there but suddenly I
> can't get any PC to read the disk and I know if I click yes to format then
> the information is gone anyway. I realize it's highly unlikely but if anyone
> knows of anything that might help me retrieve the information, I'd be
> extremely grateful.
>
> Thanks

It isn't cheap, but SpinRite can usually recover most of a dead floppy's
contents.

http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 1:45:19 AM

null wrote:
> Bob I wrote:
>> Find another computer and get a "second opinion" on the floppy.
>>
>> Shaz wrote:
>>
>>> Can anyone tell me if it's at all possible to retrieve information
>>> from a floppy that is now reading "Disk is not formatted. Do you
>>> wish to format now?", or is it totally lost? The information was
>>> on there but suddenly I can't get any PC to read the disk and I
>>> know if I click yes to format then the information is gone anyway. I
>>> realize it's highly unlikely but if anyone knows of anything that
>>> might help me retrieve the information, I'd be extremely grateful.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>

> He states that he "can't get any PC to read the disk..." That tells me
> that he's tried at least one other PC.
>
> I hope that now he understands the unreliability of floppy disks as a
> storage medium.

He? How many blokes do you know called Sharon?

on salads.
January 27, 2005 11:07:36 AM

Boot your computer from an MS-DOS floppy, and do a DIR on your floppy.
This should tell you where the problem lies.

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 10:33:07 -0800, "Shaz"
<Shaz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Can anyone tell me if it's at all possible to retrieve information from a
>floppy that is now reading "Disk is not formatted. Do you wish to format
>now?", or is it totally lost? The information was on there but suddenly I
>can't get any PC to read the disk and I know if I click yes to format then
>the information is gone anyway. I realize it's highly unlikely but if anyone
>knows of anything that might help me retrieve the information, I'd be
>extremely grateful.
>
>Thanks
January 27, 2005 2:47:58 PM

Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:

> He? How many blokes do you know called Sharon?

Sharon? All I see for a name is Shaz.

!