Floppy Disk Hell

Can anyone tell me if it's at all possible to retrieve information from a
floppy that is now reading "Disk is not formatted. Do you wish to format
now?", or is it totally lost? The information was on there but suddenly I
can't get any PC to read the disk and I know if I click yes to format then
the information is gone anyway. I realize it's highly unlikely but if anyone
knows of anything that might help me retrieve the information, I'd be
extremely grateful.

Thanks
10 answers Last reply
More about floppy disk hell

    Find another computer and get a "second opinion" on the floppy.

    Shaz wrote:

    > Can anyone tell me if it's at all possible to retrieve information from a
    > floppy that is now reading "Disk is not formatted. Do you wish to format
    > now?", or is it totally lost? The information was on there but suddenly I
    > can't get any PC to read the disk and I know if I click yes to format then
    > the information is gone anyway. I realize it's highly unlikely but if anyone
    > knows of anything that might help me retrieve the information, I'd be
    > extremely grateful.
    >
    > Thanks

    Already tried that, on 3 different PC's. No joy unfortunately!!

    Bob I wrote:
    > Find another computer and get a "second opinion" on the floppy.
    >
    > Shaz wrote:
    >
    >> Can anyone tell me if it's at all possible to retrieve information
    >> from a floppy that is now reading "Disk is not formatted. Do you wish
    >> to format now?", or is it totally lost? The information was on there
    >> but suddenly I can't get any PC to read the disk and I know if I click
    >> yes to format then the information is gone anyway. I realize it's
    >> highly unlikely but if anyone knows of anything that might help me
    >> retrieve the information, I'd be extremely grateful.
    >>
    >> Thanks

    He states that he "can't get any PC to read the disk..." That tells me
    that he's tried at least one other PC.

    I hope that now he understands the unreliability of floppy disks as a
    storage medium.

    posted here. No warranty, express or implied, is given with the posting
    of this message.

    That doesn't sound good. Around here I fire up a copy of Diskedit on a
    DOS box and copy off the sectors to rebuild the disk. You might look
    around for a Windows program to do the same.

    null wrote:

    > Bob I wrote:
    >
    >> Find another computer and get a "second opinion" on the floppy.
    >>
    >> Shaz wrote:
    >>
    >>> Can anyone tell me if it's at all possible to retrieve information
    >>> from a floppy that is now reading "Disk is not formatted. Do you
    >>> wish to format now?", or is it totally lost? The information was on
    >>> there but suddenly I can't get any PC to read the disk and I know if
    >>> I click yes to format then the information is gone anyway. I realize
    >>> it's highly unlikely but if anyone knows of anything that might help
    >>> me retrieve the information, I'd be extremely grateful.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>>

    > He states that he "can't get any PC to read the disk..." That tells me
    > that he's tried at least one other PC.
    >
    > I hope that now he understands the unreliability of floppy disks as a
    > storage medium.

    yes you can get the data back depends on how much you want to spend. I would
    find a win98 box and install Norton utilities on it and try to recover the
    data using Norton Disc Doctor. You can send the disk out to a data recovery
    service and they can get the data back for sure for the right $$$

    Wayne

    Shaz wrote:

    > Can anyone tell me if it's at all possible to retrieve information from a
    > floppy that is now reading "Disk is not formatted. Do you wish to format
    > now?", or is it totally lost? The information was on there but suddenly I
    > can't get any PC to read the disk and I know if I click yes to format then
    > the information is gone anyway. I realize it's highly unlikely but if anyone
    > knows of anything that might help me retrieve the information, I'd be
    > extremely grateful.
    >
    > Thanks

    It isn't cheap, but SpinRite can usually recover most of a dead floppy's
    contents.

    http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm

    null wrote:
    > Bob I wrote:
    >> Find another computer and get a "second opinion" on the floppy.
    >>
    >> Shaz wrote:
    >>
    >>> Can anyone tell me if it's at all possible to retrieve information
    >>> from a floppy that is now reading "Disk is not formatted. Do you
    >>> wish to format now?", or is it totally lost? The information was
    >>> on there but suddenly I can't get any PC to read the disk and I
    >>> know if I click yes to format then the information is gone anyway. I
    >>> realize it's highly unlikely but if anyone knows of anything that
    >>> might help me retrieve the information, I'd be extremely grateful.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>>

    > He states that he "can't get any PC to read the disk..." That tells me
    > that he's tried at least one other PC.
    >
    > I hope that now he understands the unreliability of floppy disks as a
    > storage medium.

    He? How many blokes do you know called Sharon?

    on salads.

    Try a program called WinHex you can find it at
    http://www.forensicfocus.com/

    --
    XPos
    XPos's Profile: http://forum.osnn.net/member.php?userid=357

    Boot your computer from an MS-DOS floppy, and do a DIR on your floppy.
    This should tell you where the problem lies.

    On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 10:33:07 -0800, "Shaz"

    Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:

    > He? How many blokes do you know called Sharon?

    Sharon? All I see for a name is Shaz.

    posted here. No warranty, express or implied, is given with the posting
    of this message.

Floppy Disk Format Windows XP