Google Chrome Pushes Past Microsoft's Internet Explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.

faster23rd

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
Well, with the way IE is, it seems like Microsoft has no plans on stiffening up their product's resistance with things like much more meaningful upgrades. I've switched to Chrome after years of loyal patronage to IE and the only thing I feel afterwards is that occasional tug of guilt IE gives me.

G

IE has 54 percent of browser usage this month, Firefox is in second place with 20.20 percent and Chrome in third with 18.85 percent

[citation][nom]FlawedReport[/nom]No it's not. This report is flawed.http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2404714,00.asp[/citation]

This brings to question any accuracy to any of these numbers. It is much more that Firefox and Chrome users spend more time on the internet and view a wider variety of web pages than IE users or vice versa skewing the results greatly. I can attest that the vast majority of households I visit for repairs use IE. Though this leads to it's own incomplete data.

Most of those with Chrome got it because it was checked by default to install with some other program they bought or downloaded and have no idea how it got there. They don't use it though. That is until I teach them how to and explain why it is better and safer. These people just go to their e-mail from their homepage which is either Yahoo, AOL or their ISP's page. They visit very few other sites.

I doubt these stat counters take these people into account. This group probably accounts for somewhere between 60% to 80% of people online. Those with very little use for the internet and see it as a daunting and scary place. A place where viruses, hackers lurk in shadows everywhere waiting to strike to steal their money and identity.

beoza

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
[citation][nom]velocityg4[/nom]Most of those with Chrome got it because it was checked by default to install with some other program they bought or downloaded and have no idea how it got there.[/citation]

I have to agree with this. Look at when you download Flash player, Divx, Foxit Reader...they all have Chrome included with their program. I have used Chrome for a year and then removed it. I don't like the very spartan look and feel to it. While it has a clean look, somethings can be hard to find and the options are very minimal at best. I use IE 9 for my class work simply because it works with the schools sites I visit, FF with all it's updates is not supported or doesn't display properly. For everything else I use FF. Both FF and IE offer many more options when it comes to controlling their behavior than Chrome does out of the box, although Chrome and FF allow the installation of 3rd party addons.

I have used the 64bit version of FF and I love it, I just wish they would take it out of the development phase and just release it as a finished version. The only 2 64bit browsers currently (that I know of) are IE9 and FF. Unfortunately I am stuck on a POS 32bit Win 7 Laptop. If FF really wants to gain market share they would include the addblock and a few other popular security addons as part of the standard package. I don't see why it would be hard to make agreements with these addon makers to have their apps included, it would be a big boost to both.

srap

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012
[citation][nom]beoza[/nom]I have to agree with this. Look at when you download Flash player, Divx, Foxit Reader...they all have Chrome included with their program. I have used Chrome for a year and then removed it. I don't like the very spartan look and feel to it. While it has a clean look, somethings can be hard to find and the options are very minimal at best. I use IE 9 for my class work simply because it works with the schools sites I visit, FF with all it's updates is not supported or doesn't display properly. For everything else I use FF. Both FF and IE offer many more options when it comes to controlling their behavior than Chrome does out of the box, although Chrome and FF allow the installation of 3rd party addons. I have used the 64bit version of FF and I love it, I just wish they would take it out of the development phase and just release it as a finished version. The only 2 64bit browsers currently (that I know of) are IE9 and FF. Unfortunately I am stuck on a POS 32bit Win 7 Laptop. If FF really wants to gain market share they would include the addblock and a few other popular security addons as part of the standard package. I don't see why it would be hard to make agreements with these addon makers to have their apps included, it would be a big boost to both.[/citation]
- Do not forget the Piriform softwares and Skype, they're also popular.
- Opera x64 is being worked on, first beta is already out.
- Including AdBlock Plus would immediately cut them off from the money they got from Google (who gains many of it's money from ads).

[citation][nom]thunderking2106[/nom]This would be a completely different story If Microsoft open sourced IE to where it could be installed on Linux and Mac.[/citation]

Mac I can understand, but Linux doesn't come anywhere close to a viable user base.

lenzeppellin

Honorable
May 23, 2012
I think it's moot point how Chrome got into people's PCs... since the argument would be the same for Firefox. I mean IE only comes with all pre-installed Windows installations, duh? Shouldn't IE have 90%+ market share? Whether it's on top yet or not, the fact is - Chrome is the fastest browser in the market right now and people who've switched whether by choice or accidentally are seeing it's benefits. It also updates way less than Firefox and crashes less than both IE and FF, too. How many times have you seen 'Not Responding...' when using Chrome compared to IE or Firefox? Personally, it was the reason I switched to Chrome from having been a Firefox user for a several years and IE user prior to that when I didn't know any better... As with IE don't get me wrong, it has improved with each version and the addition of site compatibility view. Not to mention, some corporate users just have to deal with IE since some of their programs were designed for IE. Firefox seems to be getting slower as the years go by with the Firefox updates seemingly not able to address more sluggishness and crashing than ever. A lot of people who use other browsers could very well be doing themselves a favor by trying Chrome. I still have the occasional use for IE and FF but Chrome is #1 on my list now.

sewalk

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
[citation][nom]velocityg4[/nom]Most of those with Chrome got it because it was checked by default to install with some other program they bought or downloaded and have no idea how it got there.[/citation]
By your logic then, IE should have 95% market share. These statistics are based on page hits which means that people are actually using the browser being ranked. I have IE, FF, Safari, and Opera, as well as Chrome installed on my laptop: Chrome for everyday use, IE for certain poorly-designed sites that were written as though IE6 would be the only browser the world would ever need, and the others mainly for comparison use or to troubleshoot pages that don't render properly in Chrome. Since the statistics in the rankings only add up to 100%, it's obvious that the browser in use and not every browser lost in some deeply-buried folder on the hard drive is being counted.

While it is true that the overwhelming majority of IE users do little but browse Facebook and check email, Chrome and FF are more strongly represented among users who actually exhibit a preference for a browser with specific features like Chrome's superior stability and smaller memory footprint or FF's extreme customability and rapid updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.