KT4AV beeping at post

Here's my problem. When my machine posts for the first time after
being turned off it beeps a bunch of times (actually haven't counted
it) and never boots. If I hit the reset button the machine boots
normally and will run without incident. I can run it for days, no
problem. But this beeping when I initially turn it on is a bit
irritating and mildly worrying (am I ignoring something that could
become a problem down the road?)

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this?

I have an MSI KT4AV motherboard with an AMD Athlon XP 1800+ CPU and
512 MB of RAM (two sticks of PC 2700.) It has one hard drive and one
DVD ROM, each the master on separate IDE cables.

So what do you think? How can this be fixed?

I anticipate your responses.

Sincerely,
Damion R. Pisacane

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Damion Pisacane wrote:

> Here's my problem. When my machine posts for the first time after
> being turned off it beeps a bunch of times (actually haven't counted
> it) and never boots. If I hit the reset button the machine boots
> normally and will run without incident. I can run it for days, no
> problem. But this beeping when I initially turn it on is a bit
> irritating and mildly worrying (am I ignoring something that could
> become a problem down the road?)
>
> Does anyone have any idea how to fix this?
>
> I have an MSI KT4AV motherboard with an AMD Athlon XP 1800+ CPU and
> 512 MB of RAM (two sticks of PC 2700.) It has one hard drive and one
> DVD ROM, each the master on separate IDE cables.
>
> So what do you think? How can this be fixed?
>
> I anticipate your responses.
>
> Sincerely,
> Damion R. Pisacane
Haven't as yet encountered this problem. I would suggest changing the
CMOS battery on your board and possibly updating your BIOS.

Eric
--
To Reply directly delete "removethis" from email address

Please count the beeps, its probably a code. I did have 1 PC I built that
had an alarm go off on start up for "missing NVram" that the system didn't
have. I think I disabled the PC speaker in the bios and pulled the damn
thing altogether.

dpisacane@yahoo.com (Damion Pisacane) wrote in

> Here's my problem. When my machine posts for the first time after
> being turned off it beeps a bunch of times (actually haven't counted
> it) and never boots. If I hit the reset button the machine boots
> normally and will run without incident. I can run it for days, no
> problem. But this beeping when I initially turn it on is a bit
> irritating and mildly worrying (am I ignoring something that could
> become a problem down the road?)
>
> Does anyone have any idea how to fix this?
>
> I have an MSI KT4AV motherboard with an AMD Athlon XP 1800+ CPU and
> 512 MB of RAM (two sticks of PC 2700.) It has one hard drive and one
> DVD ROM, each the master on separate IDE cables.
>
> So what do you think? How can this be fixed?
>
> I anticipate your responses.
>
> Sincerely,
> Damion R. Pisacane

Hey Damion,
check for a light code on boot-up. Then contact MSI tech with this one.
ts been a while since I built using that board. BUT... If it works screw
it! You may try pulling on stick at a time to see if you have a ram
problem. or (more likely uou have an a feature activated but not
configured from bios.