DVD and CD writer won't work same time!

Hi everyone!
I had Cd writer in my computer (2.4 Gh, Xp Pro Sp2), working all right. But
when i installed DVD writer my computer now shows two drive letter one for
CD and other for DVD. But DVD write won't work. Only CD writer works. I
double checked all my wires are connected well on DVD writer. The funny
things is during reboot i can open my DVD writer and CD writer trays. But
when i reached to xp desktop only CD writer tray opens, but dvd writer won't.
Then i removed all wires connected with my CD writer, and reboot now my DVD
writer works fine i burned couple of DVDs. So what is wrong why they both
don't works same time. What i need to done to work both of them same time. Is
it possible or am i just wasting my time. Thanks much.
5 answers Last reply
More about writer work time

    Set one of the drives to MASTER and the other to Slave. Then, you should be
    able to access both. However, you will need a retail CD/DVD burning
    software kit in order to be able to use both recorders at the same time. XP
    built-in CD burning and the drive included burning software only allows one
    burner at a time.

    "Yves Leclerc" wrote:

    > Set one of the drives to MASTER and the other to Slave. Then, you should be
    > able to access both. However, you will need a retail CD/DVD burning
    > software kit in order to be able to use both recorders at the same time. XP
    > built-in CD burning and the drive included burning software only allows one
    > burner at a time.
    >

    > "Jatinder" <Jatinder@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi everyone!
    > > I had Cd writer in my computer (2.4 Gh, Xp Pro Sp2), working all right.
    > > But
    > > when i installed DVD writer my computer now shows two drive letter one
    > > for
    > > CD and other for DVD. But DVD write won't work. Only CD writer works. I
    > > double checked all my wires are connected well on DVD writer. The funny
    > > things is during reboot i can open my DVD writer and CD writer trays. But
    > > when i reached to xp desktop only CD writer tray opens, but dvd writer
    > > won't.
    > > Then i removed all wires connected with my CD writer, and reboot now my
    > > DVD
    > > writer works fine i burned couple of DVDs. So what is wrong why they both
    > > don't works same time. What i need to done to work both of them same time.
    > > Is
    > > it possible or am i just wasting my time. Thanks much.
    >

    > I have Nero burning software, that burns DVD and CD as well. But how i do set one drive to master and other to slave?
    Thanx much

    There are "jumpers" in the back of each unit. Set the jumper to master on
    one and set the jumper as slave for the other.

    As for Nero. only the retail boxed version will allow you to use both
    burners at the same time! Any drive-bundled software will not.

    "Yves Leclerc" wrote:

    > There are "jumpers" in the back of each unit. Set the jumper to master on
    > one and set the jumper as slave for the other.
    >
    > As for Nero. only the retail boxed version will allow you to use both
    > burners at the same time! Any drive-bundled software will not.

    Jumper, u mean ribbon cable that has long big I/O connector, comes from the
    mother board and goes to the back of each drive. But it doesn't say which is
    master and slave. That ribbon cable has three connectors A connected with
    mother board B in the centre of the cable and C to the other end. So which
    is master and salve?
    I tried to switch B and C both connectors at back of my DVD and CD Burner
    but still didn't work both of them same time.
    And i don't know what is retail box, but i'm using Nero 6.6 Ultra Edition.
    That burns DVDs also.
    What should i do now?

    You should download and read the manual. It will be easy for you to see
    what Yves is referring to.

    r.

    > "Yves Leclerc" wrote:
    >
    >> There are "jumpers" in the back of each unit. Set the jumper to master
    >> on
    >> one and set the jumper as slave for the other.
    >>
    >> As for Nero. only the retail boxed version will allow you to use both
    >> burners at the same time! Any drive-bundled software will not.
    >>

    > Jumper, u mean ribbon cable that has long big I/O connector, comes from
    > the
    > mother board and goes to the back of each drive. But it doesn't say which
    > is
    > master and slave. That ribbon cable has three connectors A connected with
    > mother board B in the centre of the cable and C to the other end. So
    > which
    > is master and salve?
    > I tried to switch B and C both connectors at back of my DVD and CD Burner
    > but still didn't work both of them same time.
    > And i don't know what is retail box, but i'm using Nero 6.6 Ultra Edition.
    > That burns DVDs also.
    > What should i do now?

DVD CD-Rom DVD Writers Windows XP