usb external hard drive and digital camera not recognized ..

Hi,

I have Windows XP SP2 on a Sony Vaio laptop.

When inserting a USB cable into any of the three USB ports, both for a
digital camera and for an external hard drive, after the beeping that
signals the occupation of the port, the devices are not recognized:

-the software of the camera is not triggered, nothing happens
-the external hard drive icon does not appear in My Computer and the
driver is not usable.

The digital camera used to work in the past, I suspect before the
installation of SP2, whilst I only tried the external drive after the
installation of SP2.

I thought the USB ports drivers may need reinstalling, but I could not
find the related software on the microsoft website.

Many thanks to whoever wishes to help.

Simone

Hi, I have exactly the same problem, I am not sure I have XP SP2, but it used
to work perfectly and now nothing happens...I am getting crazy....Please
someone help us..

"Simone Babuin" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have Windows XP SP2 on a Sony Vaio laptop.
>
> When inserting a USB cable into any of the three USB ports, both for a
> digital camera and for an external hard drive, after the beeping that
> signals the occupation of the port, the devices are not recognized:
>
> -the software of the camera is not triggered, nothing happens
> -the external hard drive icon does not appear in My Computer and the
> driver is not usable.
>
> The digital camera used to work in the past, I suspect before the
> installation of SP2, whilst I only tried the external drive after the
> installation of SP2.
>
> I thought the USB ports drivers may need reinstalling, but I could not
> find the related software on the microsoft website.
>
> Many thanks to whoever wishes to help.
>
> Simone

bar

Have you used device manager to initialise and format the HDD?

If not it will not be accessible under My Computer!

Simone Babuin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have Windows XP SP2 on a Sony Vaio laptop.
>
> When inserting a USB cable into any of the three USB ports, both for a
> digital camera and for an external hard drive, after the beeping that
> signals the occupation of the port, the devices are not recognized:
>
> -the software of the camera is not triggered, nothing happens
> -the external hard drive icon does not appear in My Computer and the
> driver is not usable.
>
> The digital camera used to work in the past, I suspect before the
> installation of SP2, whilst I only tried the external drive after the
> installation of SP2.
>
> I thought the USB ports drivers may need reinstalling, but I could not
> find the related software on the microsoft website.
>
> Many thanks to whoever wishes to help.
>
> Simone

Is the digicam mounted as a removeable drive? If so, select Properties,
Autoplay tab and set the startup application there.

....what BAR said about formatting the HD.

is the hardware supported by XP? Have you installed specific
software/driver for the hardware(i.e. the camera?).

"Simone Babuin" <simonebabuin@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have Windows XP SP2 on a Sony Vaio laptop.
>
> When inserting a USB cable into any of the three USB ports, both for a
> digital camera and for an external hard drive, after the beeping that
> signals the occupation of the port, the devices are not recognized:
>
> -the software of the camera is not triggered, nothing happens
> -the external hard drive icon does not appear in My Computer and the
> driver is not usable.
>
> The digital camera used to work in the past, I suspect before the
> installation of SP2, whilst I only tried the external drive after the
> installation of SP2.
>
> I thought the USB ports drivers may need reinstalling, but I could not
> find the related software on the microsoft website.
>
> Many thanks to whoever wishes to help.
>
> Simone

I have a problem with XP recognizing my USB memory devices as well.

It turns out to be related to my having a mapped network drive. If I
plug a USB device in after startup, it is not listed under the
available drives and I have my network drive.

If I plug in the USB device and reboot, the network drive fails to
connect and the USB device is assigned the name and drive letter of the
network drive.

I can use my devices, but only after a reboot or if I abandon the use
of mapped network drives. I have yet to find a solution for this.

--
tudza

Either map that network drive to another letter or change the letter for the
USB drive....
(I've set my external HD as U: )

--
Tumppi
Reply to group

"tudza" <tudza.1kisa0@mail.mcse.ms> kirjoitti viestissä

> I have a problem with XP recognizing my USB memory devices as well.
>
> It turns out to be related to my having a mapped network drive. If I
> plug a USB device in after startup, it is not listed under the
> available drives and I have my network drive.
>
> If I plug in the USB device and reboot, the network drive fails to
> connect and the USB device is assigned the name and drive letter of the
> network drive.
>

> I can use my devices, but only after a reboot or if I abandon the use
> of mapped network drives. I have yet to find a solution for this.
>

> --
> tudza

Laszlo

I have the same exact trouble. 1 day after 2 years of use, my sony dig camera is not showing up under my computer. the system manager and device manager recognizes it, but I can not access the files.

No, there is no need for a specific software for a usb device under xp, so I did not install it but as mentioned never has been an issue in a past 2 years.

I tried to "reset" the usb port, switched ports, etc.

all other usb device is working fine. this one also "working fine" according to any software and test under windooze except it does not show up in the my computer.

yes camera is fine, working perfectly well on any other computer using a same cable.

I tried the reset while camera is plugged but did not make a changes.