problem with boot in xp

January 27, 2005 11:18:20 PM

Hi!

I am currently in safe mode here :-( I can't boot my computer in the
ordinary way, it freezes after the Windows XP logo is shown, and after
10-15min it sometimes displays the desktop background but I haven't got past
that for a while now.

I enabled /bootlog in boot.ini and the following snippet is from my
ntbtlog.txt file. The problem is that I don't know if the boot log is from
the safe mode boot or from my failed boot (the one before the safe mode).

As I am no driver guru I don't know if this looks bad or not. What seems
strange though is that the boot seems to loop. The Audio Codecs (as an
example) are loaded over and over again... the log file is 43kB long and
here and there there are some drivers that are loaded....

Any suggestions on what I could do is very appreciated!!

/ Peter in Safe Mode

Here's the snippet:
Service Pack 2 1 27 2005 19:44:04.500
Loaded driver \WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
Loaded driver \WINDOWS\system32\hal.dll
Loaded driver \WINDOWS\system32\KDCOM.DLL
Loaded driver \WINDOWS\system32\BOOTVID.dll
Loaded driver ACPI.sys
Loaded driver \WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\WMILIB.SYS
Loaded driver pci.sys
Loaded driver isapnp.sys
Loaded driver pciide.sys
Loaded driver \WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\PCIIDEX.SYS
Loaded driver MountMgr.sys
Loaded driver ftdisk.sys
Loaded driver dmload.sys
Loaded driver dmio.sys
Loaded driver PartMgr.sys
Loaded driver VolSnap.sys
Loaded driver daemon.sys
Loaded driver \WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\SCSIPORT.SYS
Loaded driver atapi.sys
Loaded driver disk.sys
Loaded driver \WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\CLASSPNP.SYS
Loaded driver fltmgr.sys
Loaded driver sr.sys
Loaded driver PxHelp20.sys
Loaded driver KSecDD.sys
Loaded driver ifpusb.sys
Loaded driver \WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\USBD.SYS
Loaded driver Ntfs.sys
Loaded driver NDIS.sys
Loaded driver sisagp.sys
Loaded driver Mup.sys
Did not load driver Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC
Did not load driver Audio Codecs ############## 1
Did not load driver Legacy Audio Drivers
Did not load driver Media Control Devices
Did not load driver Legacy Video Capture Devices
Did not load driver Video Codecs
Did not load driver WAN Miniport (L2TP)
Did not load driver WAN Miniport (IP)
Did not load driver WAN Miniport (PPPOE)
Did not load driver WAN Miniport (PPTP)
Did not load driver Packet Scheduler Miniport
Did not load driver Packet Scheduler Miniport
Did not load driver Direct Parallel
Did not load driver NetOp Driver 3 ver. 7.01 (2002018)
Did not load driver Audio Codecs ############## 2
Did not load driver Legacy Audio Drivers
Did not load driver Media Control Devices
Did not load driver Legacy Video Capture Devices
Did not load driver Video Codecs
Did not load driver WAN Miniport (L2TP)
Did not load driver WAN Miniport (IP)
Did not load driver WAN Miniport (PPPOE)
Did not load driver WAN Miniport (PPTP)
Did not load driver Packet Scheduler Miniport
Did not load driver Packet Scheduler Miniport
Did not load driver Direct Parallel
Did not load driver NetOp Driver 3 ver. 7.01 (2002018)
Did not load driver Intel Processor
Did not load driver Audio Codecs ############## 3
Did not load driver Legacy Audio Drivers
Did not load driver Media Control Devices
Did not load driver Legacy Video Capture Devices
Did not load driver Video Codecs
Did not load driver WAN Miniport (L2TP)

..... a very long section that more or less loops ...

Did not load driver Audio Codecs
Did not load driver Legacy Audio Drivers
Did not load driver Media Control Devices
Did not load driver Legacy Video Capture Devices
Did not load driver Video Codecs
Did not load driver WAN Miniport (L2TP)
Did not load driver WAN Miniport (IP)
Did not load driver WAN Miniport (PPPOE)
Did not load driver WAN Miniport (PPTP)
Did not load driver Packet Scheduler Miniport
Did not load driver Packet Scheduler Miniport
Did not load driver Direct Parallel
Did not load driver NetOp Driver 3 ver. 7.01 (2002018)
Did not load driver Intel Processor
Did not load driver ABIT Siluro GF4 MX
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\usbohci.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\imapi.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\cdrom.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\redbook.sys
Did not load driver Creative SB Live! Value (WDM)
Did not load driver Creative SBLive! Gameport
Did not load driver 3Com EtherLink XL 10/100 PCI TX NIC (3C905B-TX)
Did not load driver CMI8738/C3DX PCI Audio Device
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\fdc.sys
Did not load driver Communications Port
Did not load driver Communications Port
Did not load driver Printer Port
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\i8042prt.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\kbdclass.sys
Did not load driver Audio Codecs
Did not load driver Legacy Audio Drivers

.... blah blah ...

Did not load driver Audio Codecs
Did not load driver Legacy Audio Drivers
Did not load driver Media Control Devices
Did not load driver Legacy Video Capture Devices
Did not load driver Video Codecs
Did not load driver WAN Miniport (L2TP)
Did not load driver WAN Miniport (IP)
Did not load driver WAN Miniport (PPPOE)
Did not load driver WAN Miniport (PPTP)
Did not load driver Packet Scheduler Miniport
Did not load driver Packet Scheduler Miniport
Did not load driver Direct Parallel
Did not load driver NetOp Driver 3 ver. 7.01 (2002018)
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Fastfat.SYS

End of File!

More about : problem boot

Anonymous
January 28, 2005 6:40:50 PM

Here are a couple utilites that might help decifer the bootlog..
A1 Bootlog analyzer
http://www.a1freestuff.co.uk/utils.html

RegRun Security Suites (download pro version)
http://www.greatis.com/security/

The loop appears because Windows will append boot information to an existing
ntbtlog.txt file in Safe Mode.

While in Safe Mode you should probably do a thorough scan for viruses and
spyware (RegRun will help examine the registry.) Other possible fixes
include running sfc /scannow and system restore.

(safe mode with networking will allow you to access the internet.)

Trend Micro House Call
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Spybot Search & Destroy

Ad-Aware