Lost Sound

I have just upgraded to XP with SP2 and like many before me I have lost
sound. I have been using the onboard C-Media AC97 chip without problems with
98SE.
I have also tried an SC3000 PCI soundcard in various slots both using the
original drivers sent with the card and the motherboard and also by
downloading the latest from the appropriate manufactures sites.I've even
tried disabling the onboard in the BIOS and flashed the BIOS to the latest
vesion. All to no avail. Does anyone out there know the solution?
Thanks in anticipation.

Hello

Well Since upgrading to XP did you remove the win98 drivers
fromyou system, and then install the Xp drivers, sounds like you maybe
some or corrupted drivers. I would remove all drivers, reboot and
then let Xp try to find the correct drivers for your sound card

Alvin

andyfraser666 wrote:

> I have just upgraded to XP with SP2 and like many before me I have lost
> sound. I have been using the onboard C-Media AC97 chip without problems with
> 98SE.
> I have also tried an SC3000 PCI soundcard in various slots both using the
> original drivers sent with the card and the motherboard and also by
> downloading the latest from the appropriate manufactures sites.I've even
> tried disabling the onboard in the BIOS and flashed the BIOS to the latest
> vesion. All to no avail. Does anyone out there know the solution?
> Thanks in anticipation.

I tried that too, thanks anyway

"Alvin Brown" wrote:

> Hello
>

> Well Since upgrading to XP did you remove the win98 drivers
> fromyou system, and then install the Xp drivers, sounds like you maybe
> some or corrupted drivers. I would remove all drivers, reboot and
> then let Xp try to find the correct drivers for your sound card
>
> Alvin
>

> andyfraser666 wrote:
>
> > I have just upgraded to XP with SP2 and like many before me I have lost
> > sound. I have been using the onboard C-Media AC97 chip without problems with
> > 98SE.
> > I have also tried an SC3000 PCI soundcard in various slots both using the
> > original drivers sent with the card and the motherboard and also by
> > downloading the latest from the appropriate manufactures sites.I've even
> > tried disabling the onboard in the BIOS and flashed the BIOS to the latest
> > vesion. All to no avail. Does anyone out there know the solution?
> > Thanks in anticipation.

additional note.
When reinstalling the drivers, the mixer software crashes

andyfraser666 wrote:
> additional note.
> When reinstalling the drivers, the mixer software crashes

Perhaps you need a different version of your mixer software. Where did you
get the device drivers from? If they are the latest XP drivers from the
hardware manufacturer, they're the right ones.

> "Alvin Brown" wrote:
>
>> Hello
>>

>> Well Since upgrading to XP did you remove the win98 drivers
>> fromyou system, and then install the Xp drivers, sounds like you
>> maybe some or corrupted drivers. I would remove all drivers, reboot
>> and then let Xp try to find the correct drivers for your sound card
>>
>> Alvin
>>

>> andyfraser666 wrote:
>>
>>> I have just upgraded to XP with SP2 and like many before me I have
>>> lost sound. I have been using the onboard C-Media AC97 chip without
>>> problems with 98SE.
>>> I have also tried an SC3000 PCI soundcard in various slots both
>>> using the original drivers sent with the card and the motherboard
>>> and also by downloading the latest from the appropriate
>>> manufactures sites.I've even tried disabling the onboard in the
>>> BIOS and flashed the BIOS to the latest vesion. All to no avail.
>>> Does anyone out there know the solution?
>>> Thanks in anticipation.

All drivers downloaded from manufacturers websites

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:

> andyfraser666 wrote:
> > additional note.
> > When reinstalling the drivers, the mixer software crashes
>
> Perhaps you need a different version of your mixer software. Where did you
> get the device drivers from? If they are the latest XP drivers from the
> hardware manufacturer, they're the right ones.
> >
> > "Alvin Brown" wrote:
> >
> >> Hello
> >>

> >> Well Since upgrading to XP did you remove the win98 drivers
> >> fromyou system, and then install the Xp drivers, sounds like you
> >> maybe some or corrupted drivers. I would remove all drivers, reboot
> >> and then let Xp try to find the correct drivers for your sound card
> >>
> >> Alvin

My on-board sound chip shows in Device Mgr as CMI8738 (Asus m/b) but in
BIOS, only reference is AC97.

I ran into mixer problem (no mic support) so after months of trying various
drivers (and neither CMedia nor Asus gave any help solving this, and
unfortunately no-one in this ng was able to assist at the time). So, I
disabled AC97 (both instances) in BIOS, installed a new sound card/drivers.
BUT - CMI8738 still came up in Device Manager. Uninstalling made no
difference - picked up as new hardware, auto-installed..

Solution - DISABLE IN THIS CONFIGURATION. This works, CMI8738 is disabled,
new soundcard works just fine. My prob doesn't exactly match yours, but is
similar, so my solution may also work for you.

Hope this helps. Len

andyfraser666 wrote:
> All drivers downloaded from manufacturers websites

Then it sounds like your mixer software is the issue.

> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:
>
>> andyfraser666 wrote:
>>> additional note.
>>> When reinstalling the drivers, the mixer software crashes
>>
>> Perhaps you need a different version of your mixer software. Where
>> did you get the device drivers from? If they are the latest XP
>> drivers from the hardware manufacturer, they're the right ones.

TRENDING THREADS