Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Canon ImageRunner Printer Slow

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 5:49:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

After installing SP2 some print jobs are running excruciatingly slow. I've
downloaded the most recent Canon driver to no avail. Any suggestions?
--
Christine
January 27, 2005 8:19:24 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Unfortunately, I have no suggestion, but have been dealing with the same
issue. At one client site one specific computer (an HP Laptop) is
horrendously slow printing to an IR600 since SP2. In fact, if that printer
is set as default it slows a whole range of network activity. The other
dozen or so computers on which I installed SP2 do not have the problem.
I've also downloaded the most recent driver. Additionally I've tried
Selective startup with nothing else running, rebuilding the TCP/IP and LSP
stacks, connecting to a different port and switch, and a few other long shot
items.

On what kind of workstation are you seeing the problem?

I'm out of ideas except to try a network sniffer next and actually analyze
the packets. That will require a length onsite visit that's hard to get to.

BTW, in the windowsxp.print_fax group (where this might better be posted)
has had some discussion of slow network printing after SP2 with other
printers, though no one seems to have found a solution.
--

"Christine" <Christine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:2F75F4D7-FEEF-49EF-83EF-45AB229FC140@microsoft.com...
> After installing SP2 some print jobs are running excruciatingly slow.
> I've
> downloaded the most recent Canon driver to no avail. Any suggestions?
> --
> Christine
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 9:32:31 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

is there a firmware upgrade at canon's site?

--
"Display tolerance & kindness to those with less
knowledge than you because there is ALWAYS
someone with more"


"Christine" <Christine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:2F75F4D7-FEEF-49EF-83EF-45AB229FC140@microsoft.com...
> After installing SP2 some print jobs are running excruciatingly slow.
I've
> downloaded the most recent Canon driver to no avail. Any suggestions?
> --
> Christine
Related resources
January 28, 2005 1:42:45 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

In my case, no. Note that these Image Runners are large Ethernet enabled
photocopiers. Firmware is in replaceable ROM's. I have inquired and been
told that there is no newer ROM version for my client's machine. I doubt
that the problems seen with some XP SP2 machines would relate to printer
firmware.
--

"Budget Print Center" <budget(nospam)print@1usa.net> wrote in message
news:%232RBLzSBFHA.3924@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> is there a firmware upgrade at canon's site?
>
> --
> "Display tolerance & kindness to those with less
> knowledge than you because there is ALWAYS
> someone with more"
>
>
> "Christine" <Christine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:2F75F4D7-FEEF-49EF-83EF-45AB229FC140@microsoft.com...
>> After installing SP2 some print jobs are running excruciatingly slow.
> I've
>> downloaded the most recent Canon driver to no avail. Any suggestions?
>> --
>> Christine
>
>
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 5:01:54 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

If the photocopier is accessed by the network, then this could be a problem
with SP2's firewall???


"GTS" <x> wrote in message news:o %23CREAVBFHA.2076@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> In my case, no. Note that these Image Runners are large Ethernet enabled
> photocopiers. Firmware is in replaceable ROM's. I have inquired and been
> told that there is no newer ROM version for my client's machine. I doubt
> that the problems seen with some XP SP2 machines would relate to printer
> firmware.
> --
>
> "Budget Print Center" <budget(nospam)print@1usa.net> wrote in message
> news:%232RBLzSBFHA.3924@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> is there a firmware upgrade at canon's site?
>>
>> --
>> "Display tolerance & kindness to those with less
>> knowledge than you because there is ALWAYS
>> someone with more"
>>
>>
>> "Christine" <Christine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:2F75F4D7-FEEF-49EF-83EF-45AB229FC140@microsoft.com...
>>> After installing SP2 some print jobs are running excruciatingly slow.
>> I've
>>> downloaded the most recent Canon driver to no avail. Any suggestions?
>>> --
>>> Christine
>>
>>
>
>
January 28, 2005 5:31:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Thanks for the thought but the firewall is disabled. (These machines are
all behind a central firewall.)
--

"Yves Leclerc" <yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> wrote in message
news:o wozWvWBFHA.4008@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> If the photocopier is accessed by the network, then this could be a
> problem with SP2's firewall???
>
>
> "GTS" <x> wrote in message news:o %23CREAVBFHA.2076@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> In my case, no. Note that these Image Runners are large Ethernet enabled
>> photocopiers. Firmware is in replaceable ROM's. I have inquired and
>> been told that there is no newer ROM version for my client's machine. I
>> doubt that the problems seen with some XP SP2 machines would relate to
>> printer firmware.
>> --
>>
>> "Budget Print Center" <budget(nospam)print@1usa.net> wrote in message
>> news:%232RBLzSBFHA.3924@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>>> is there a firmware upgrade at canon's site?
>>>
>>> --
>>> "Display tolerance & kindness to those with less
>>> knowledge than you because there is ALWAYS
>>> someone with more"
>>>
>>>
>>> "Christine" <Christine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> news:2F75F4D7-FEEF-49EF-83EF-45AB229FC140@microsoft.com...
>>>> After installing SP2 some print jobs are running excruciatingly slow.
>>> I've
>>>> downloaded the most recent Canon driver to no avail. Any suggestions?
>>>> --
>>>> Christine
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 9:17:05 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Which version of the ImageRunner are you using? I had a IR3300 at work at had no issues with XP
SP2, now have a 3570(?) also works fine. Also what program are you printing from? I know I had some
issues printing from Adobe Reader 6 to an HP printer (very slow) after ugrading to reader 7 printing
was fixed.
--
Dave Vair
CNE, CNA, MCP, A+, N+
Computer Education Services Corp. (CESC)

"GTS" <x> wrote in message news:o %23CREAVBFHA.2076@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> In my case, no. Note that these Image Runners are large Ethernet enabled photocopiers. Firmware
> is in replaceable ROM's. I have inquired and been told that there is no newer ROM version for my
> client's machine. I doubt that the problems seen with some XP SP2 machines would relate to
> printer firmware.
> --
>
> "Budget Print Center" <budget(nospam)print@1usa.net> wrote in message
> news:%232RBLzSBFHA.3924@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> is there a firmware upgrade at canon's site?
>>
>> --
>> "Display tolerance & kindness to those with less
>> knowledge than you because there is ALWAYS
>> someone with more"
>>
>>
>> "Christine" <Christine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:2F75F4D7-FEEF-49EF-83EF-45AB229FC140@microsoft.com...
>>> After installing SP2 some print jobs are running excruciatingly slow.
>> I've
>>> downloaded the most recent Canon driver to no avail. Any suggestions?
>>> --
>>> Christine
>>
>>
>
>
January 28, 2005 9:17:06 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

It's an IR600. The problem exists for all programs. In addition to
extremely slow print preview and printing to the IR600, if the workstation
at issue is set to the IR600 as default printer, it's overall network
performance is impacted severely. Browsing net drives/shares, opening
programs on the network etc. all slow to a crawl. If the default printer is
changed to any other printer, performance is immediately normal again. This
is completely baffling and did not happen before SP2. It would seem to
indicate some interaction of the printer driver and network communication.
Removing and reinstalling the printer driver (tried several versions) didn't
help.
--

"David Vair" <dvair@nycap.rr.com> wrote in message
news:BkvKd.4613$8H2.2144@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
> Which version of the ImageRunner are you using? I had a IR3300 at work at
> had no issues with XP SP2, now have a 3570(?) also works fine. Also what
> program are you printing from? I know I had some issues printing from
> Adobe Reader 6 to an HP printer (very slow) after ugrading to reader 7
> printing was fixed.
> --
> Dave Vair
> CNE, CNA, MCP, A+, N+
> Computer Education Services Corp. (CESC)
>
> "GTS" <x> wrote in message news:o %23CREAVBFHA.2076@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> In my case, no. Note that these Image Runners are large Ethernet enabled
>> photocopiers. Firmware is in replaceable ROM's. I have inquired and
>> been told that there is no newer ROM version for my client's machine. I
>> doubt that the problems seen with some XP SP2 machines would relate to
>> printer firmware.
February 22, 2005 8:19:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Exact same thing is happening to us. Five new machines with XP Pro, Canon IR
5000 Photocopier/Printer...print, print preview is at a crawl. Haven't been
able to find any solutions.

"GTS" wrote:

> Thanks for the thought but the firewall is disabled. (These machines are
> all behind a central firewall.)
> --
>
> "Yves Leclerc" <yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> wrote in message
> news:o wozWvWBFHA.4008@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > If the photocopier is accessed by the network, then this could be a
> > problem with SP2's firewall???
> >
> >
> > "GTS" <x> wrote in message news:o %23CREAVBFHA.2076@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> >> In my case, no. Note that these Image Runners are large Ethernet enabled
> >> photocopiers. Firmware is in replaceable ROM's. I have inquired and
> >> been told that there is no newer ROM version for my client's machine. I
> >> doubt that the problems seen with some XP SP2 machines would relate to
> >> printer firmware.
> >> --
> >>
> >> "Budget Print Center" <budget(nospam)print@1usa.net> wrote in message
> >> news:%232RBLzSBFHA.3924@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> >>> is there a firmware upgrade at canon's site?
> >>>
> >>> --
> >>> "Display tolerance & kindness to those with less
> >>> knowledge than you because there is ALWAYS
> >>> someone with more"
> >>>
> >>>
> >>> "Christine" <Christine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >>> news:2F75F4D7-FEEF-49EF-83EF-45AB229FC140@microsoft.com...
> >>>> After installing SP2 some print jobs are running excruciatingly slow.
> >>> I've
> >>>> downloaded the most recent Canon driver to no avail. Any suggestions?
> >>>> --
> >>>> Christine
> >>>
> >>>
> >>
> >>
> >
> >
>
>
>
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 11:18:43 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I had the same problem with my shared printer -- access to the printer
from client PCs was agony.

If the PC with the local printer is an XP SP2 machine, launch Windows
Firewall there, go to Advanced, enable logging of dropped packets.
Then try printing from a client PC. Look at the log (default
pfirewall.log). In my case, I saw numerous TCP 135 packets being
dropped. I added an exception for TCP 135, subnet only, on the PC
with the local printer. This completely fixed the problem.

I am still trying to understand why this is necessary. TCP 135 was
a favorite target for some of the major viruses...
!