Canon ImageRunner Printer Slow

After installing SP2 some print jobs are running excruciatingly slow. I've
downloaded the most recent Canon driver to no avail. Any suggestions?
--
Christine
9 answers Last reply

    Unfortunately, I have no suggestion, but have been dealing with the same
    issue. At one client site one specific computer (an HP Laptop) is
    horrendously slow printing to an IR600 since SP2. In fact, if that printer
    is set as default it slows a whole range of network activity. The other
    dozen or so computers on which I installed SP2 do not have the problem.
    I've also downloaded the most recent driver. Additionally I've tried
    Selective startup with nothing else running, rebuilding the TCP/IP and LSP
    stacks, connecting to a different port and switch, and a few other long shot
    items.

    On what kind of workstation are you seeing the problem?

    I'm out of ideas except to try a network sniffer next and actually analyze
    the packets. That will require a length onsite visit that's hard to get to.

    BTW, in the windowsxp.print_fax group (where this might better be posted)
    has had some discussion of slow network printing after SP2 with other
    printers, though no one seems to have found a solution.
    --

    "Christine" <Christine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > After installing SP2 some print jobs are running excruciatingly slow.
    > I've
    > downloaded the most recent Canon driver to no avail. Any suggestions?
    > --
    > Christine

    is there a firmware upgrade at canon's site?

    --
    "Display tolerance & kindness to those with less
    knowledge than you because there is ALWAYS

    "Christine" <Christine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > After installing SP2 some print jobs are running excruciatingly slow.
    I've
    > downloaded the most recent Canon driver to no avail. Any suggestions?
    > --
    > Christine

    In my case, no. Note that these Image Runners are large Ethernet enabled
    photocopiers. Firmware is in replaceable ROM's. I have inquired and been
    told that there is no newer ROM version for my client's machine. I doubt
    that the problems seen with some XP SP2 machines would relate to printer
    firmware.
    --

    "Budget Print Center" <budget(nospam)print@1usa.net> wrote in message
    > is there a firmware upgrade at canon's site?
    >
    > --
    > "Display tolerance & kindness to those with less
    > knowledge than you because there is ALWAYS
    > someone with more"
    >

    > "Christine" <Christine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> After installing SP2 some print jobs are running excruciatingly slow.
    > I've
    >> downloaded the most recent Canon driver to no avail. Any suggestions?
    >> --
    >> Christine

    If the photocopier is accessed by the network, then this could be a problem
    with SP2's firewall???

    "GTS" <x> wrote in message news:O%23CREAVBFHA.2076@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    > In my case, no. Note that these Image Runners are large Ethernet enabled
    > photocopiers. Firmware is in replaceable ROM's. I have inquired and been
    > told that there is no newer ROM version for my client's machine. I doubt
    > that the problems seen with some XP SP2 machines would relate to printer
    > firmware.
    > --
    >
    > "Budget Print Center" <budget(nospam)print@1usa.net> wrote in message
    >> is there a firmware upgrade at canon's site?
    >>
    >> --
    >> "Display tolerance & kindness to those with less
    >> knowledge than you because there is ALWAYS
    >> someone with more"
    >>

    >> "Christine" <Christine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>> After installing SP2 some print jobs are running excruciatingly slow.
    >> I've
    >>> downloaded the most recent Canon driver to no avail. Any suggestions?
    >>> --
    >>> Christine

    Thanks for the thought but the firewall is disabled. (These machines are
    all behind a central firewall.)

    > If the photocopier is accessed by the network, then this could be a
    > problem with SP2's firewall???
    >

    > "GTS" <x> wrote in message news:O%23CREAVBFHA.2076@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    >> In my case, no. Note that these Image Runners are large Ethernet enabled
    >> photocopiers. Firmware is in replaceable ROM's. I have inquired and
    >> been told that there is no newer ROM version for my client's machine. I
    >> doubt that the problems seen with some XP SP2 machines would relate to
    >> printer firmware.
    >> --
    >>
    >> "Budget Print Center" <budget(nospam)print@1usa.net> wrote in message
    >>> is there a firmware upgrade at canon's site?
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> "Display tolerance & kindness to those with less
    >>> knowledge than you because there is ALWAYS
    >>> someone with more"
    >>>

    >>> "Christine" <Christine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>> I've

    Which version of the ImageRunner are you using? I had a IR3300 at work at had no issues with XP
    SP2, now have a 3570(?) also works fine. Also what program are you printing from? I know I had some
    issues printing from Adobe Reader 6 to an HP printer (very slow) after ugrading to reader 7 printing
    was fixed.
    --
    Dave Vair
    CNE, CNA, MCP, A+, N+

    "GTS" <x> wrote in message news:O%23CREAVBFHA.2076@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    > In my case, no. Note that these Image Runners are large Ethernet enabled photocopiers. Firmware
    > is in replaceable ROM's. I have inquired and been told that there is no newer ROM version for my
    > client's machine. I doubt that the problems seen with some XP SP2 machines would relate to
    > printer firmware.
    > --
    >
    > "Budget Print Center" <budget(nospam)print@1usa.net> wrote in message
    >> is there a firmware upgrade at canon's site?
    >>
    >> --
    >> "Display tolerance & kindness to those with less
    >> knowledge than you because there is ALWAYS
    >> someone with more"
    >>

    >> "Christine" <Christine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>> After installing SP2 some print jobs are running excruciatingly slow.
    >> I've
    >>> downloaded the most recent Canon driver to no avail. Any suggestions?
    >>> --
    >>> Christine

    It's an IR600. The problem exists for all programs. In addition to
    extremely slow print preview and printing to the IR600, if the workstation
    at issue is set to the IR600 as default printer, it's overall network
    performance is impacted severely. Browsing net drives/shares, opening
    programs on the network etc. all slow to a crawl. If the default printer is
    changed to any other printer, performance is immediately normal again. This
    is completely baffling and did not happen before SP2. It would seem to
    indicate some interaction of the printer driver and network communication.
    Removing and reinstalling the printer driver (tried several versions) didn't
    help.
    --

    "David Vair" <dvair@nycap.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Which version of the ImageRunner are you using? I had a IR3300 at work at
    > had no issues with XP SP2, now have a 3570(?) also works fine. Also what
    > program are you printing from? I know I had some issues printing from
    > Adobe Reader 6 to an HP printer (very slow) after ugrading to reader 7
    > printing was fixed.
    > --
    > Dave Vair
    > CNE, CNA, MCP, A+, N+
    > Computer Education Services Corp. (CESC)
    >
    > "GTS" <x> wrote in message news:O%23CREAVBFHA.2076@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    >> In my case, no. Note that these Image Runners are large Ethernet enabled
    >> photocopiers. Firmware is in replaceable ROM's. I have inquired and
    >> been told that there is no newer ROM version for my client's machine. I
    >> doubt that the problems seen with some XP SP2 machines would relate to
    >> printer firmware.

    Exact same thing is happening to us. Five new machines with XP Pro, Canon IR
    5000 Photocopier/Printer...print, print preview is at a crawl. Haven't been
    able to find any solutions.

    "GTS" wrote:

    > Thanks for the thought but the firewall is disabled. (These machines are
    > all behind a central firewall.)
    > --
    >
    > "Yves Leclerc" <yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> wrote in message
    > > If the photocopier is accessed by the network, then this could be a
    > > problem with SP2's firewall???
    > >

    > > "GTS" <x> wrote in message news:O%23CREAVBFHA.2076@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    > >> In my case, no. Note that these Image Runners are large Ethernet enabled
    > >> photocopiers. Firmware is in replaceable ROM's. I have inquired and
    > >> been told that there is no newer ROM version for my client's machine. I
    > >> doubt that the problems seen with some XP SP2 machines would relate to
    > >> printer firmware.
    > >> --
    > >>
    > >> "Budget Print Center" <budget(nospam)print@1usa.net> wrote in message

    I had the same problem with my shared printer -- access to the printer
    from client PCs was agony.

    If the PC with the local printer is an XP SP2 machine, launch Windows
    Firewall there, go to Advanced, enable logging of dropped packets.
    Then try printing from a client PC. Look at the log (default
    pfirewall.log). In my case, I saw numerous TCP 135 packets being
    dropped. I added an exception for TCP 135, subnet only, on the PC
    with the local printer. This completely fixed the problem.

    I am still trying to understand why this is necessary. TCP 135 was
    a favorite target for some of the major viruses...

Hardware Printers Canon Job Market Microsoft Windows XP