Help! I have a trojan and it wont let me get to it!

Tags:
  • Trojan
  • Windows XP
January 27, 2005 10:23:02 PM

I've done spybots and everything, it tracks it, but the destination has to be
in a hidden file and I can't get to it... When I click search, its results go
: not looking in hidden files. I need help! Thanks!

More about : trojan wont

January 27, 2005 10:31:32 PM

Try running your spybots and everything from Safe Mode.

"J" <J@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've done spybots and everything, it tracks it, but the destination has to
> be
> in a hidden file and I can't get to it... When I click search, its results
> go
> : not looking in hidden files. I need help! Thanks!
January 27, 2005 10:41:03 PM

Jerry,
I did that, and sure enough, it found yet another trojan, but I got that one
removed.. theres something tricky (and scary) about this one.. I was just
giong to reformat my computer, and re-install windows, but when I stick in
the CD, it says that I have a newer version on my computer than what is on
the disk... Any suggestions?

"Jerry" wrote:

> Try running your spybots and everything from Safe Mode.
>
> "J" <J@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I've done spybots and everything, it tracks it, but the destination has to
> > be
> > in a hidden file and I can't get to it... When I click search, its results
> > go
> > : not looking in hidden files. I need help! Thanks!

Related resources
January 27, 2005 10:59:03 PM

Carey,
Thanks so much for your advice... I'm not completely computer literate, but
it seems like great advice, I'm going to fiddle with it, and if I know I
can't do it, I'm going to take it to a technician tomorrow (costing me an arm
and a leg!). I bought norton antivirus 2005, and it didn't pick it up, which
surprised me.. Thanks again for the advice and wish me luck!

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Perform a "Clean Install". The virus has irreversibly
> compromised your system.
>
> Clean Install Windows XP
> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
>
> After performing a "Clean Install", consider purchasing and
> installing a first-rate Internet Security program to help protect
> your system from garbage internet web sites:
>
> Norton Internet Security 2005
> http://www.symantec.com/sabu/nis/nis_pe/features.html
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
>
> Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul...

> "J" wrote:
>
> | I've done spybots and everything, it tracks it, but the destination has to be
> | in a hidden file and I can't get to it... When I click search, its results go
> | : not looking in hidden files. I need help! Thanks!

January 29, 2005 12:58:10 AM

J wrote:
> Carey,
> Thanks so much for your advice... I'm not completely computer literate, but
> it seems like great advice, I'm going to fiddle with it, and if I know I
> can't do it, I'm going to take it to a technician tomorrow (costing me an arm
> and a leg!). I bought norton antivirus 2005, and it didn't pick it up, which
> surprised me.. Thanks again for the advice and wish me luck!
>
> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
>

>>Perform a "Clean Install". The virus has irreversibly
>>compromised your system.
>>
>>Clean Install Windows XP
>>http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
>>
>>After performing a "Clean Install", consider purchasing and
>>installing a first-rate Internet Security program to help protect
>>your system from garbage internet web sites:
>>
>>Norton Internet Security 2005
>>http://www.symantec.com/sabu/nis/nis_pe/features.html
>>
>>--
>>Carey Frisch
>>Microsoft MVP
>>Windows XP - Shell/User
>>
>>Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
>>http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul...

>>"J" wrote:
>>
>>| I've done spybots and everything, it tracks it, but the destination has to be
>>| in a hidden file and I can't get to it... When I click search, its results go
>>| : not looking in hidden files. I need help! Thanks!

I am not the brightest when it comes to computers, I have found that I
can go to "Symantec", "TrendMicro" and few others on line that have
helped me remove Trojans when nothing else worked.
May Save you a lot of time, stress and money.
Good Luck and let us know how it turned out.

Dan(Still going in circles)
!