Aliens: Colonial Marines Delayed Until 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
As a cereal die hard Aliens fan, I was actually disappointed by the storyline of the game.
The game takes place in Hadleys' Hope, a place that got nuked by the processing plant and turned into a vapor cloud the size of nebraska...

Then the Sulaco.......

The Sulaco is over by Fury 161... it's prolly sitting there orbiting the planet still or autopiloted back to gateway station.... it's place in the game is cereal wrong...

sigh.

A better plot would've been an Alien egg somehow magically got planted on The Betty in Alien Resurrection... Thereby releasing the Aliens on Earth when they landed on Earth at the end of the movie... Reaking havoc, creating armies of aliens, etc etc

G

For an upcoming game the graphics in my eyes are substandard.

bobusboy

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
[citation][nom]LArsie[/nom]For an upcoming game the graphics in my eyes are substandard.[/citation]

And what Xbox games looks better than that?

Everyone knows that because it's multi platform the graphics are going to be nerfed.

I would be very happy if there was a burly graphics edition released via patches or better yet with the initial release for PC players so that we could enjoy the glory of PC gaming in stead of a console port.

athlondude

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
Hmmm......Well I have seen far worse graphics in recent games, not to mention it uses the Unreal 3 engine which will run like a bat outta hell so I am not too worried about that. In fact I have to say that the graphics look far better than those of the last AVP game. The Story will be.....interesting to see how they pull it off. It almost seems to me that they may be writing this story with the mindset that Alien 3 and Alien Rez never happened. The whole nuked thing....yeah that does present a problem becausethey said it would take 17 days for a rescue? I dont know how all that lethal radiation is gonna clear out by then, but it will be interesting to see how they get around that.

With all that in mind, I'm really not too concerned about any of the inconsistencies because bottom line I am a huge Aliens fan, and I sure as hell aint gonna pass up an opportunity to KIA some acid filled xenos while tromping around the halls of Hadley's Hope.

halcyon

Splendid
I'm a die-hard Aliens fan too...I've always been. When the first movie came out I was 10 and my folks took me to see it (that may have been bad parenting). It scared me so bad I got out of my seat and hid behind the seat in front of me. I worked hard back then to overcome that fear...god bless Ridley Scott. The Aliens franchise has been my favorite all my life since then and I eagerly await this new game and anything else related to the best sci-fi horror ever conceived.

bin1127

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
Why do they keep sending marines to fight the aliens? Just let them be. They haven't learned to drive a space ship so they aren't coming to visit earth anytime soon.

airborne11b

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
I'm a huge Alien fan myself, and personally sick of the AVP nonsense in both movies / games. I'm glad that Aliens is getting a new game all for itself.

As for graphics, they could be much worst (See every blizzard game ever made). As a PC gamer I've come to understand that game mechanics / graphics are getting their standards destroyed due to making console portable games. Every once in a while you get a nice game like Crysis or BF3 or CoH or Tera, where they make a game with graphics far beyond that of consoles, but I've learned that 90% or more are going to be dumbed down console ports. Best you can hope for is decent gameplay and "acceptable" graphics.

As for plot (Game isn't out yet, for all you know the game takes place in areas that look similar to the movies but are not the same exact areas, play the game before you judge the plot)

halcyon

Splendid
I just look forward to killing those things that scared the bejeevies outta me as a kid. Good stuff. The graphics in AvP weren't that bad. If Colonial Marines is at least that good its good enough for me. I don't have to max my video cards to have a good time.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]I'm a die-hard Aliens fan too...I've always been. When the first movie came out I was 10 and my folks took me to see it (that may have been bad parenting). It scared me so bad I got out of my seat and hid behind the seat in front of me. I worked hard back then to overcome that fear...god bless Ridley Scott. The Aliens franchise has been my favorite all my life since then and I eagerly await this new game and anything else related to the best sci-fi horror ever conceived.[/citation]
I was also a kid when I saw Alien. I didn't saw it in the movie theater. But saw it on TV, sort of. My parents didn't allowed me to see it, but thank god for betamax. I recorded the movie without anyone noticing. I have to say it scared the crap out of me and made me a fan of the movie.

I hope this game has some nerve wrecking scenes like avp2 had when played with the marines.

furylicious

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Admittedly, the graphics don't look all that impressive, but if the delay is going to improve the gameplay of that game, I'm all for it. I'm a huge aliens fan, and it would be nice to see SEGA release something that is somewhat good.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]mediocre graphics....consoles are hold back progress...wtf[/citation]
Well, it looks like there is more money is serving the console community than the PC community. Consoles are a lot cheaper than a PC with graphics able to drive 1920x1080 and 2560x1600 with all the eye candy turned on. That's just not where the $$$$ is. You can't blame the studios for recognizing this. Funny thing is, for me, that I have a '360 and a PS3 that haven't been lit up in nearly a year.

Now that I finally have a PC I can game on that's not likely to change anytime soon unless there's actually an Ace Combat 7 or new version of HAWX (that's console-only) on their way..

athlondude

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
Well I dont agree that the Consoles are holding back the progress. I know part of it was due to the prometheus coming out, they got a look at the script and some of that is gonna be used to sort of tie in to the ACM story so they had to wait till after that. I also know that on of the community members from one of the AVP sites I visited visited on of the copnventions where ACM was being demo'd and while speaking with one of the devs he got an e-mail for him to send ideas from the community to, so it is possible that gearbox may have delayed it again to incorporate some of those ideas. That is not unheard of, they did that with AVP2 so Who knows. In the ends I dont care as long as it comes out and is worth the wait. Honestly I doubt they could do worse than rebellion. AVP 2010 wasnt an entirely horrible game, it did however take more steps backward than forward.

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
Oh well. Maybe this means I can get it during Steam's 2013 summer madness deal for 90% off...Wish I didn't get the last AvP for $50. What a failure that game was. I'd like to know the genius who thought one hit melee combat insta-kills was a good idea. In fact, tell ya' what. Give me AvP2 with DX11 graphics and I'll be happy. Oh, and uhh, don't make map packs DLC, make em' free just like they were for AvP2.

athlondude

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
Yeah, the insta kills while neat, did alot to unbalance the gameplay, especially since the pred and alien had them and the marine did not. And no crouch? What the hell was all that about, and the wallwalking for the alien was absolutely horrible. AVP 2010 had so much potential, and just missed the mark in so many ways. Thats one thing that always pissed me off about rebellion, they always so persistent about the way they wanted it to be that they didnt give a shit about how the gamers wanted it to be. I dunno, AVP for me is a love hate relationship, I still love to play it from time to time, but I hate the fact that they just fell short with it in so many ways.

I am with bildo123, I'd love to see AVP2 with an updated graphics engine. Update all the textures and put it on the FEAR engine and I think that would rock. I am curious with all the old games coming to steam, why AVP2 and all the other great lithtech games haven't shown up on steam. That would be awesome, AVP2, NOLF, NOLF2, TRON 2.0, etc.......All in one great pack on Steam. Who knows, may happen yet.

airborne11b

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
[citation][nom]athlondude[/nom]Well I dont agree that the Consoles are holding back the progress.[/citation]

Well, your choice to agree with the fact or not has nothing to do with it's validity. (See the Tom's Article on the new UT4 engine).

Basically, the devs showed off the new UT4 engine, and are now begging the console makers to rethink their next-gen hardware choices, because the current hardware they have chosen will not support the UT4 engine (Which promises both amazing graphics and reduced time to making a working title **they estimate that making a game using the new UT4 engine would be about 50% faster then currently development time standards**

Consoles have been hindering game development for many years now. Devs know there are big bucks to be made in console game sales, and if they have a great idea (but the console in question won't support it) then it gets knocked off the table.

Regardless of what you think, truth is truth.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]airborne11b[/nom]Well, your choice to agree with the fact or not has nothing to do with it's validity. (See the Tom's Article on the new UT4 engine).Basically, the devs showed off the new UT4 engine, and are now begging the console makers to rethink their next-gen hardware choices, because the current hardware they have chosen will not support the UT4 engine (Which promises both amazing graphics and reduced time to making a working title **they estimate that making a game using the new UT4 engine would be about 50% faster then currently development time standards**Consoles have been hindering game development for many years now. Devs know there are big bucks to be made in console game sales, and if they have a great idea (but the console in question won't support it) then it gets knocked off the table.Regardless of what you think, truth is truth.[/citation]
So you're saying developers are holding computers back, not consoles.

athlondude

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]airborne11b[/nom]Well, your choice to agree with the fact or not has nothing to do with it's validity. (See the Tom's Article on the new UT4 engine).Basically, the devs showed off the new UT4 engine, and are now begging the console makers to rethink their next-gen hardware choices, because the current hardware they have chosen will not support the UT4 engine (Which promises both amazing graphics and reduced time to making a working title **they estimate that making a game using the new UT4 engine would be about 50% faster then currently development time standards**Consoles have been hindering game development for many years now. Devs know there are big bucks to be made in console game sales, and if they have a great idea (but the console in question won't support it) then it gets knocked off the table.Regardless of what you think, truth is truth.[/citation]

Well if what you say is true then the devs are pretty stupid. If they are indeed pushing back titles or completely dropping them because the consoles simply cant run them then they sure as hell aren't making any money on what they dont make or put off till later. That seems pretty counter productive to me. Yeah sure there are companies with idiots like Cliffy B. ready to sell out the pc the first chance they get, but that doesnt make it a smart move. Take that article you mentioned. I read that back when it was posted and if the UT 4 engine is as demanding as it claims, hell no one but the rich kids will be able to run it because, who the hell could afford 3 GTX 580s? Even one GTX 680 is pretty ludicrous at $500, I would never put that kind of money into my system, especially for someone who built his company making PC games, and then turned around and prety much said, fuck em', their all pirates. In light of that, I hope it is true in the case of Cliffy B and his UT4 engine, serves him right for screwing us pc gamers.

Bottom Line:
Those graphics such, which could be acceptable for an RPG or Strategy game, but is unacceptable for an FPS.

What's the point in a new game if the graphics look like they're out of 2007? I could just play any old game with good reviews instead.

athlondude

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]dalauder[/nom]Bottom Line:Those graphics such, which could be acceptable for an RPG or Strategy game, but is unacceptable for an FPS.What's the point in a new game if the graphics look like they're out of 2007? I could just play any old game with good reviews instead.[/citation]

LOL, you act as though you are looking at an old screenshot of the original Doom or something, give me a break. Do you realized that Call of Duty Modern WarFare series hasn't had any major improvements to its engine, yet its one of the most popular games out there. You trying to tell me that Colonial Marines looks worse than that? Please!

Status
Not open for further replies.