Sign in with
Your question

GPUs being ignored by Windows

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
February 7, 2011 11:17:23 PM

Hi.

I have two nVidia 470m SLI with an Intel x58 motherboard chipset. Windows 7 Home Premium doesn't recognise my GPUs. (Both the 32 and 64-bit versions share this annoying problem.) Also, it ignores my ethernet and wireless adapter. These problems are solved when I install and use Ubuntu (based on Linux) instead. Then, both my graphic cards and wireless/ethernet work.

Why is this? I've tried everything on Windows, from editing the BIOS, to downloading and installing drivers, to installing third-party programs like Everest and Driver Sweeper. Nothing helped.

The only thing that helped was uninstalling Windows and using Linux instead. Since this is (supposed to be) a gaming computer, that's not a very helpful solution.

Any ideas? I'm about to install Windows again, just in case it somehow screwed up last time during installation. I doubt it'll work and I'm loathe to abandon Ubuntu when it's the only OS that's recognised my hardware, but I'm ready to try just about anything at this point.

More about : gpus windows

February 7, 2011 11:24:02 PM

I'll sleep on it first (installing Windows again). Only because re-installing Windows would make me feel like a battered housewife coming back to an abusive husband.
m
l
!