Hi -

I have started the process of purchasing my components to build my computer.
I decided to buy the Gigabyte "GA-8IPE1000 PRO-G" i865PE motherboard and I'm
having trouble finding a case for it. Does anyone else have this
motherboard or know of a site I could look at to find one?
After looking at the design of the motherboard, it looks like the audio
ports are horizontal, compared to most being vertical.

Thanks in advance.

Newtechie

"Newtechie" <newtechie@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Hi -
>
> I have started the process of purchasing my components to build my
> computer. I decided to buy the Gigabyte "GA-8IPE1000 PRO-G" i865PE
> motherboard and I'm having trouble finding a case for it. Does anyone
> else have this motherboard or know of a site I could look at to find one?
> After looking at the design of the motherboard, it looks like the audio
> ports are horizontal, compared to most being vertical.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Newtechie

The motherboard should come with a snap-in for the case so the jacks are
exposed properly. You just remove the one from the case, install the one
that comes with the motherboard, and that's it.

Retail motherboards do come with the insert when the ports
are not in the "standard" arrangement. These are for RFI
shielding and electrical grounding. They are also thin
sheet metal and many are not deburred, so you can cut
yourself. A small block of wood, a 6 inch section is useful
to press/tap the new plate in without bend or other damage.

"D.Currie" <dmbcurrie.nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message

| "Newtechie" <newtechie@nospam.com> wrote in message
| > Hi -
| >
| > I have started the process of purchasing my components
to build my
| > computer. I decided to buy the Gigabyte "GA-8IPE1000
PRO-G" i865PE
| > motherboard and I'm having trouble finding a case for
it. Does anyone
| > else have this motherboard or know of a site I could
look at to find one?
| > After looking at the design of the motherboard, it looks
like the audio
| > ports are horizontal, compared to most being vertical.
| >
| > Thanks in advance.
| >
| > Newtechie
| >

| The motherboard should come with a snap-in for the case so
the jacks are
| exposed properly. You just remove the one from the case,
install the one
| that comes with the motherboard, and that's it.

peter

I just went through this...I rebuild my system into a new case.I bought an
Aluminum Chen-Ming 601AE.Nice large case,reasonably priced,easy to work with.The
I/O shield that came with the case was easy to push in...you push from the
outside and pry on the inside and it pops right out or should I say in.Then I
installed the correct shield for my MOBO and I just pushed and it snapped into
place.
It was my first attempt at this and was really surprised at how easy it actually
was.
good luck
peter
"Newtechie" <newtechie@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Hi -
>
> I have started the process of purchasing my components to build my computer. I
> decided to buy the Gigabyte "GA-8IPE1000 PRO-G" i865PE motherboard and I'm
> having trouble finding a case for it. Does anyone else have this motherboard
> or know of a site I could look at to find one?
> After looking at the design of the motherboard, it looks like the audio ports
> are horizontal, compared to most being vertical.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Newtechie

Thanks Peter! I'm getting more excited by the minute :)

"peter" <peter@nomalarky.ca> wrote in message
>I just went through this...I rebuild my system into a new case.I bought an
>Aluminum Chen-Ming 601AE.Nice large case,reasonably priced,easy to work
>with.The I/O shield that came with the case was easy to push in...you push
>from the outside and pry on the inside and it pops right out or should I
>say in.Then I installed the correct shield for my MOBO and I just pushed
>and it snapped into place.
> It was my first attempt at this and was really surprised at how easy it
> actually was.
> good luck
> peter
> "Newtechie" <newtechie@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> Hi -
>>
>> I have started the process of purchasing my components to build my
>> computer. I decided to buy the Gigabyte "GA-8IPE1000 PRO-G" i865PE
>> motherboard and I'm having trouble finding a case for it. Does anyone
>> else have this motherboard or know of a site I could look at to find one?
>> After looking at the design of the motherboard, it looks like the audio
>> ports are horizontal, compared to most being vertical.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Newtechie

Thanks D. Currie and Jim! I verified the contents of the package and
it does come with one.

> Retail motherboards do come with the insert when the ports
> are not in the "standard" arrangement. These are for RFI
> shielding and electrical grounding. They are also thin
> sheet metal and many are not deburred, so you can cut
> yourself. A small block of wood, a 6 inch section is useful
> to press/tap the new plate in without bend or other damage.

> "D.Currie" <dmbcurrie.nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> |
> | "Newtechie" <newtechie@nospam.com> wrote in message
> | > Hi -
> | >
> | > I have started the process of purchasing my components
> to build my
> | > computer. I decided to buy the Gigabyte "GA-8IPE1000
> PRO-G" i865PE
> | > motherboard and I'm having trouble finding a case for
> it. Does anyone
> | > else have this motherboard or know of a site I could
> look at to find one?
> | > After looking at the design of the motherboard, it looks
> like the audio
> | > ports are horizontal, compared to most being vertical.
> | >
> | > Thanks in advance.
> | >
> | > Newtechie
> | >

> | The motherboard should come with a snap-in for the case so
> the jacks are
> | exposed properly. You just remove the one from the case,
> install the one
> | that comes with the motherboard, and that's it.

You're welcome. Take your time and follow the instructions.
Don't over-tighten and be careful when you insert or remove
IDE and other connectors, you can damage the mobo.

Don't throw any extra parts away, put them in a container
and save them, you may want some screw or stand-off next
week or next year.

Save all the paper-work.

| Thanks D. Currie and Jim! I verified the contents of the
package and
| it does come with one.

in message
| > Retail motherboards do come with the insert when the
ports
| > are not in the "standard" arrangement. These are for
RFI
| > shielding and electrical grounding. They are also thin
| > sheet metal and many are not deburred, so you can cut
| > yourself. A small block of wood, a 6 inch section is
useful
| > to press/tap the new plate in without bend or other
damage.

| > --
| >

| > "D.Currie" <dmbcurrie.nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in
message
| > |
| > | "Newtechie" <newtechie@nospam.com> wrote in message

components
| > to build my
| > PRO-G" i865PE
for
| > it. Does anyone
| > look at to find one?
looks
| > like the audio
vertical.

| > |
| > | The motherboard should come with a snap-in for the
case so
| > the jacks are
| > | exposed properly. You just remove the one from the
case,
| > install the one
| > | that comes with the motherboard, and that's it.
| > |
| > |

Wait till the power/hdd leds start flashing.. you might want to sit down for
that part.. :)

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> Thanks Peter! I'm getting more excited by the minute :)
>
> "peter" <peter@nomalarky.ca> wrote in message
>>I just went through this...I rebuild my system into a new case.I bought an
>>Aluminum Chen-Ming 601AE.Nice large case,reasonably priced,easy to work
>>with.The I/O shield that came with the case was easy to push in...you push
>>from the outside and pry on the inside and it pops right out or should I
>>say in.Then I installed the correct shield for my MOBO and I just pushed
>>and it snapped into place.
>> It was my first attempt at this and was really surprised at how easy it
>> actually was.
>> good luck
>> peter
>> "Newtechie" <newtechie@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi -
>>>
>>> I have started the process of purchasing my components to build my
>>> computer. I decided to buy the Gigabyte "GA-8IPE1000 PRO-G" i865PE
>>> motherboard and I'm having trouble finding a case for it. Does anyone
>>> else have this motherboard or know of a site I could look at to find
>>> one?
>>> After looking at the design of the motherboard, it looks like the audio
>>> ports are horizontal, compared to most being vertical.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance.
>>>
>>> Newtechie

It's almost as good as having --- Well; you know !!

"Mike Hall" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> Wait till the power/hdd leds start flashing.. you might want to sit down
> for that part.. :)
>
> --
> Mike Hall
> MVP - Windows Shell/user
>
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "Newtechie" <newtechie@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks Peter! I'm getting more excited by the minute :)
>>
>> "peter" <peter@nomalarky.ca> wrote in message
>>>I just went through this...I rebuild my system into a new case.I bought
>>>an Aluminum Chen-Ming 601AE.Nice large case,reasonably priced,easy to
>>>work with.The I/O shield that came with the case was easy to push
>>>in...you push from the outside and pry on the inside and it pops right
>>>out or should I say in.Then I installed the correct shield for my MOBO
>>>and I just pushed and it snapped into place.
>>> It was my first attempt at this and was really surprised at how easy it
>>> actually was.
>>> good luck
>>> peter
>>> "Newtechie" <newtechie@nospam.com> wrote in message

myob

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2004

I built my very 1st home built PC last month and it was fabulous!

One idea I came up with, just because I was so paranoid about the
stand-offs, was to put the stand-offs in the case where I thought they
should go. Then I placed the motherboard on top of them, where it should go,
and then to a marker, and through each of the connecting holes in the
motherboard, I marked the stand-off underneath. Then I took the motherboard
off, and verified that I marked all the stand-offs that I had in place. That
way, if I had a stand-off in the wrong spot, it wouldn't have gotten marked.

Have fun!

> You're welcome. Take your time and follow the instructions.
> Don't over-tighten and be careful when you insert or remove
> IDE and other connectors, you can damage the mobo.
>
> Don't throw any extra parts away, put them in a container
> and save them, you may want some screw or stand-off next
> week or next year.
>
> Save all the paper-work.

> "Newtechie" <newtechie@nospam.com> wrote in message
> | Thanks D. Currie and Jim! I verified the contents of the
> package and
> | it does come with one.
> |

> | "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote
> in message
> | > Retail motherboards do come with the insert when the
> ports
> | > are not in the "standard" arrangement. These are for
> RFI
> | > shielding and electrical grounding. They are also thin
> | > sheet metal and many are not deburred, so you can cut
> | > yourself. A small block of wood, a 6 inch section is
> useful
> | > to press/tap the new plate in without bend or other
> damage.
> | >

> | > --
> | > The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
> | > But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
> | >

> | > "D.Currie" <dmbcurrie.nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in
> message
> | > |

> components
> | > to build my
> | > PRO-G" i865PE
> for
> | > it. Does anyone
> | > look at to find one?
> looks
> | > like the audio
> vertical.

> | > |
> case so
> | > the jacks are
> case,
> | > install the one
> | > |
> | > |

Hi Myob,

I'm sure it will be fun and I can't wait to get started! I have two
questions for you: What are standoffs and how long did it take you to
assemble yours?

Newtechie

"myob" <myob@myob.com> wrote in message
>I built my very 1st home built PC last month and it was fabulous!
>
> One idea I came up with, just because I was so paranoid about the
> stand-offs, was to put the stand-offs in the case where I thought they
> should go. Then I placed the motherboard on top of them, where it should
> go,
> and then to a marker, and through each of the connecting holes in the
> motherboard, I marked the stand-off underneath. Then I took the
> motherboard
> off, and verified that I marked all the stand-offs that I had in place.
> That
> way, if I had a stand-off in the wrong spot, it wouldn't have gotten
> marked.
>
> Have fun!
>

> "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote in message
>> You're welcome. Take your time and follow the instructions.
>> Don't over-tighten and be careful when you insert or remove
>> IDE and other connectors, you can damage the mobo.
>>
>> Don't throw any extra parts away, put them in a container
>> and save them, you may want some screw or stand-off next
>> week or next year.
>>
>> Save all the paper-work.
>>

>> --
>> The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
>> But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
>>

>> "Newtechie" <newtechie@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> | Thanks D. Currie and Jim! I verified the contents of the
>> package and
>> | it does come with one.
>> |

>> | "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote
>> in message
>> ports
>> RFI
>> useful
>> damage.

>> message
>> | > |

>> components
>> for
>> looks
>> vertical.

>> | > |
>> case so
>> case,
>> | > |
>> | > |

The backside of the mobo has open, uninsulated solder
connections. If they touch a metal case the mobo will short
and be destroyed. Stand-offs are the method used to keep a
space between the case and the mobo. Some mfg'rs use metal
studs that screw into holes in the case and have a threaded
hole to attach the mobo. Other companies use plastic clips.

With a little pre-planning, a computer can be assembled in
less than an hour, if you are figuring out each step as you
go, it can take all afternoon or evening. Then you have to
have an hour or two to install software and mobo drivers.
Then turn the firewall, ON and do Windows updates.
Then some more time to install applications.

wrote in message
| >> You're welcome. Take your time and follow the
instructions.
| >> Don't over-tighten and be careful when you insert or
remove
| >> IDE and other connectors, you can damage the mobo.
| >>
| >> Don't throw any extra parts away, put them in a
container
| >> and save them, you may want some screw or stand-off
next
| >> week or next year.
| >>
| >> Save all the paper-work.
| >>

| >> --
| >> The people think the Constitution protects their
rights;
| >> But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
| >>

| >> "Newtechie" <newtechie@nospam.com> wrote in message
the
| >> package and
| >> |
| >> |
wrote
| >> in message
the
| >> ports
for
| >> RFI
thin
cut
is
| >> useful
| >> damage.

rights;
overcome.

| >> message
| >> | > |
message

| >> components
"GA-8IPE1000
case
| >> for
could
| >> looks
| >> vertical.

| >> | > |
the
| >> case so
the
| >> case,
| >> | > |
| >> | > |

| >> |
| >> |

S T O P I M M E D I A T E L Y !!!

If you have to ask what standoffs are, you have no business building
your computer, at least not without supervision. Seek help first!

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 18:30:44 -0600, "Newtechie" <newtechie@nospam.com>
wrote:

>Hi Myob,
>
>I'm sure it will be fun and I can't wait to get started! I have two
>questions for you: What are standoffs and how long did it take you to
>assemble yours?
>
>Newtechie
>
>"myob" <myob@myob.com> wrote in message
>>I built my very 1st home built PC last month and it was fabulous!
>>
>> One idea I came up with, just because I was so paranoid about the
>> stand-offs, was to put the stand-offs in the case where I thought they
>> should go. Then I placed the motherboard on top of them, where it should
>> go,
>> and then to a marker, and through each of the connecting holes in the
>> motherboard, I marked the stand-off underneath. Then I took the
>> motherboard
>> off, and verified that I marked all the stand-offs that I had in place.
>> That
>> way, if I had a stand-off in the wrong spot, it wouldn't have gotten
>> marked.
>>
>> Have fun!
>>

>> "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote in message
>>> You're welcome. Take your time and follow the instructions.
>>> Don't over-tighten and be careful when you insert or remove
>>> IDE and other connectors, you can damage the mobo.
>>>
>>> Don't throw any extra parts away, put them in a container
>>> and save them, you may want some screw or stand-off next
>>> week or next year.
>>>
>>> Save all the paper-work.
>>>

>>> --
>>> The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
>>> But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
>>>

>>> "Newtechie" <newtechie@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>> package and

>>> in message
>>> ports
>>> RFI
>>> useful
>>> damage.

>>> message
>>> | > |

>>> components
>>> for
>>> looks
>>> vertical.

>>> | > |
>>> case so
>>> case,
>>> | > |
>>> | > |

First of all, I don't appreciate your tone - there was no need for the caps.
If I knew it all, I wouldn't be here getting assistance, so common sense
should tell you that's why I'm here. I'm not advanced as some here but I'm
not stupid either. I now know what stand-offs are, but for future reference
I suggest you answer someone's question or keep your comments to yourself!

"NobodyMan" <none@none.net> wrote in message
>S T O P I M M E D I A T E L Y !!!
>
> If you have to ask what standoffs are, you have no business building
> your computer, at least not without supervision. Seek help first!
>
> On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 18:30:44 -0600, "Newtechie" <newtechie@nospam.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Hi Myob,
>>
>>I'm sure it will be fun and I can't wait to get started! I have two
>>questions for you: What are standoffs and how long did it take you to
>>assemble yours?
>>
>>Newtechie
>>
>>"myob" <myob@myob.com> wrote in message
>>>I built my very 1st home built PC last month and it was fabulous!
>>>
>>> One idea I came up with, just because I was so paranoid about the
>>> stand-offs, was to put the stand-offs in the case where I thought they
>>> should go. Then I placed the motherboard on top of them, where it should
>>> go,
>>> and then to a marker, and through each of the connecting holes in the
>>> motherboard, I marked the stand-off underneath. Then I took the
>>> motherboard
>>> off, and verified that I marked all the stand-offs that I had in place.
>>> That
>>> way, if I had a stand-off in the wrong spot, it wouldn't have gotten
>>> marked.
>>>
>>> Have fun!
>>>

>>> "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote in message

Thanks Jim! I am pre-planning as we speak. I have an old computer which
I'm practicing on so hopefully that'll help. Is there a way to keep the
backside of the motherboard from touching the case?

Newtechie

> [...]
> |
> | "myob" <myob@myob.com> wrote in message
> | >I built my very 1st home built PC last month and it was
> fabulous!
> | >
> | > One idea I came up with, just because I was so paranoid
> about the
> | > stand-offs, was to put the stand-offs in the case where
> I thought they
> | > should go. Then I placed the motherboard on top of them,
> where it should
> | > go,
> | > and then to a marker, and through each of the connecting
> holes in the
> | > motherboard, I marked the stand-off underneath. Then I
> took the
> | > motherboard
> | > off, and verified that I marked all the stand-offs that
> I had in place.
> | > That
> | > way, if I had a stand-off in the wrong spot, it wouldn't

That is what the stand-off do. As far as I know, they don't
make a plastic mounting tray, but the stand-offs serve the
purpose electrically and they provide an air space for
cooling.

| Thanks Jim! I am pre-planning as we speak. I have an old
computer which
| I'm practicing on so hopefully that'll help. Is there a
way to keep the
| backside of the motherboard from touching the case?
|
| Newtechie

in message
| > The backside of the mobo has open, uninsulated solder
| > connections. If they touch a metal case the mobo will
short
| > and be destroyed. Stand-offs are the method used to
keep a
| > space between the case and the mobo. Some mfg'rs use
metal
| > studs that screw into holes in the case and have a
threaded
| > hole to attach the mobo. Other companies use plastic
clips.

| > With a little pre-planning, a computer can be assembled
in
| > less than an hour, if you are figuring out each step as
you
| > go, it can take all afternoon or evening. Then you have
| > have an hour or two to install software and mobo
drivers.
| > Then turn the firewall, ON and do Windows updates.
| > Then some more time to install applications.
| >

| > --
| >

| > "Newtechie" <newtechie@nospam.com> wrote in message
| > | Hi Myob,
| > |
| > | I'm sure it will be fun and I can't wait to get
started!
| > I have two
| > | questions for you: What are standoffs and how long
did it
| > take you to
| > | assemble yours?
| > |
| > | Newtechie
| > |
| > | "myob" <myob@myob.com> wrote in message
was
| > fabulous!

paranoid
| > about the
where
| > I thought they
them,
| > where it should
connecting
| > holes in the
| > took the
that
| > I had in place.
wouldn't
| > have gotten

| > instructions.
or
| > remove

| > container
| > next

| > rights;
overcome.

contents of
| > the
| > | >> |
| > | >> |
<p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm>
| > wrote
when
| > the
are
| > for
also
| > thin
can
| > cut
section
| > is
other

their
| > rights;
| > overcome.

| > | >> | > |
| > message

| > "GA-8IPE1000
| > case
site I
| > could
motherboard,
| > it
being

| > | >> | > |
for
| > the
from
| > the
it.
| > | >> | > |
| > | >> | > |

| > | >> |
| > | >> |

| > |
| > |

Just take your time - recheck the assembly as it goes together. It is a
great feeling after your first computer assembly is successful. If you do
have any problems - just post back here.

> First of all, I don't appreciate your tone - there was no need for the
> caps. If I knew it all, I wouldn't be here getting assistance, so common
> sense should tell you that's why I'm here. I'm not advanced as some here
> but I'm not stupid either. I now know what stand-offs are, but for future
> reference I suggest you answer someone's question or keep your comments to
> yourself!
>
> "NobodyMan" <none@none.net> wrote in message
>>S T O P I M M E D I A T E L Y !!!
>>
>> If you have to ask what standoffs are, you have no business building
>> your computer, at least not without supervision. Seek help first!
>>
>> On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 18:30:44 -0600, "Newtechie" <newtechie@nospam.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Hi Myob,
>>>
>>>I'm sure it will be fun and I can't wait to get started! I have two
>>>questions for you: What are standoffs and how long did it take you to
>>>assemble yours?
>>>
>>>Newtechie
>>>
>>>"myob" <myob@myob.com> wrote in message

Hi RonK,

How many standoffs should I put on the case and how many should I place on
the motherboard? I just broke down an old system and there was only 3 on
the case and 2 on the motherboard.

Newtechie

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 21:20:35 -0600, Newtechie wrote:

> Thanks Jim! I am pre-planning as we speak. I have an old computer which
> I'm practicing on so hopefully that'll help. Is there a way to keep the
> backside of the motherboard from touching the case?

Since you won't have POWER turned on, and the power cord will NOT be
connected to the PSU, if the MB touches the case during install you won't
have a problem.

You just need to make sure that you put as many stand-off screws in the
motherboard as you did stand-offs on the metal backplate. You might also
consider some of the plastic stand-off types in some locations if you run
out of metal ones.

One last thing - make sure you use the right screws - you DO NOT want the
screw head going past the round doughnut pad around the hole - certainly
not so that it touches any electrical circuits.

--
spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

Leythos,

Which are better? metal or plastic?

Newtechie

> On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 21:20:35 -0600, Newtechie wrote:
>
>> Thanks Jim! I am pre-planning as we speak. I have an old computer which
>> I'm practicing on so hopefully that'll help. Is there a way to keep the
>> backside of the motherboard from touching the case?
>
> Since you won't have POWER turned on, and the power cord will NOT be
> connected to the PSU, if the MB touches the case during install you won't
> have a problem.
>
> You just need to make sure that you put as many stand-off screws in the
> motherboard as you did stand-offs on the metal backplate. You might also
> consider some of the plastic stand-off types in some locations if you run
> out of metal ones.
>
> One last thing - make sure you use the right screws - you DO NOT want the
> screw head going past the round doughnut pad around the hole - certainly
> not so that it touches any electrical circuits.
>

> --
> spam999free@rrohio.com
> remove 999 in order to email me

One on every mounting hole on the mobo.

| Hi RonK,
|
| How many standoffs should I put on the case and how many
should I place on
| the motherboard? I just broke down an old system and
there was only 3 on
| the case and 2 on the motherboard.
|
| Newtechie
|

| "RonK" <I'mhere@home.com> wrote in message
| > Just take your time - recheck the assembly as it goes
together. It is a
| > great feeling after your first computer assembly is
successful. If you do
| > have any problems - just post back here.
| >
| > "Newtechie" <newtechie@nospam.com> wrote in message
| >> First of all, I don't appreciate your tone - there was
no need for the
| >> caps. If I knew it all, I wouldn't be here getting
assistance, so common
| >> sense should tell you that's why I'm here. I'm not
advanced as some here
| >> but I'm not stupid either. I now know what stand-offs
are, but for
| >> future reference I suggest you answer someone's
question or keep your
| >> comments to yourself!
| >>
| >> "NobodyMan" <none@none.net> wrote in message

business building
help first!

<newtechie@nospam.com>

started! I have two
did it take you to

was fabulous!

paranoid about the
where I thought they
them, where it
connecting holes in the
I took the
that I had in
wouldn't have gotten

instructions.
or remove

container

rights;
overcome.

contents of the
| >>>>>> |
| >>>>>> |
<p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote
when the
are for
also thin
can cut
section is
other

their rights;
overcome.

| >>>>>> | > |
message

"GA-8IPE1000
a case
site I could
motherboard, it
being

| >>>>>> | > |

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 22:47:34 -0600, Newtechie wrote:

> How many standoffs should I put on the case and how many should I place on
> the motherboard? I just broke down an old system and there was only 3 on
> the case and 2 on the motherboard.

All Standoffs go on the metal plate behind the motherboard where there is
a complementary screw hole for them in the motherboard. Stand-offs don't
mount on the motherboard, they mount on the backplate and should be
secured tightly. The screws go through the motherboard into the stand-offs.

--
spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

Newtechie uttered the following on 1/31/2005 10:09 PM:
> First of all, I don't appreciate your tone - there was no need for the caps.
> If I knew it all, I wouldn't be here getting assistance, so common sense
> should tell you that's why I'm here. I'm not advanced as some here but I'm
> not stupid either. I now know what stand-offs are, but for future reference
> I suggest you answer someone's question or keep your comments to yourself!
>
> "NobodyMan" <none@none.net> wrote in message
>
>>S T O P I M M E D I A T E L Y !!!
>>
>>If you have to ask what standoffs are, you have no business building
>>your computer, at least not without supervision. Seek help first!
>>
>>On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 18:30:44 -0600, "Newtechie" <newtechie@nospam.com>
>>wrote:
>>

>>>Hi Myob,
>>>
>>>I'm sure it will be fun and I can't wait to get started! I have two
>>>questions for you: What are standoffs and how long did it take you to
>>>assemble yours?
>>>
>>>Newtechie
>>>
>>>"myob" <myob@myob.com> wrote in message

Hey NewTechie, don't worry too much about trolls like Nobodyman, like
his user id says, he's a nobody. There's a few around. As you can see
all the other answers came from decent "once newbies" and gurus alike.
Good luck in your build. It is a very satisfying experience.
Take care, Krok

I've fixed so many computer from folks who decided to "strike out on
their own" and shorted out their fine, brand new motherboard, often
taking out other components as well. I was hoping to stop you from
having this happen, but kids will be kids....

I still recommend getting at least minimal supervision the first time
you, or anybody, builds their own system.

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 21:09:07 -0600, "Newtechie" <newtechie@nospam.com>
wrote:

>First of all, I don't appreciate your tone - there was no need for the caps.
>If I knew it all, I wouldn't be here getting assistance, so common sense
>should tell you that's why I'm here. I'm not advanced as some here but I'm
>not stupid either. I now know what stand-offs are, but for future reference
>I suggest you answer someone's question or keep your comments to yourself!
>
>"NobodyMan" <none@none.net> wrote in message
>>S T O P I M M E D I A T E L Y !!!
>>
>> If you have to ask what standoffs are, you have no business building
>> your computer, at least not without supervision. Seek help first!
>>
>> On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 18:30:44 -0600, "Newtechie" <newtechie@nospam.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Hi Myob,
>>>
>>>I'm sure it will be fun and I can't wait to get started! I have two
>>>questions for you: What are standoffs and how long did it take you to
>>>assemble yours?
>>>
>>>Newtechie
>>>
>>>"myob" <myob@myob.com> wrote in message

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 18:17:24 -0500, krok dundee
<krokdundee@yeahright.com> wrote:

>Hey NewTechie, don't worry too much about trolls like Nobodyman, like
>his user id says, he's a nobody. There's a few around. As you can see
>all the other answers came from decent "once newbies" and gurus alike.
>Good luck in your build. It is a very satisfying experience.
>Take care, Krok

A nobody that's fixed more broken systems than you could possiblly
count, including dozens of them where a newbie decided to strike out
on their own and ended up shorting out the mainboard, video, audio,
memory, and even processors. I've seen newbies slap in the processor,
attach the heat sink/fan, and not include the thermal grease required
by the heat sink- and ended up with a nice expensive CPU paperweight.
Memory forced in backwards, breaking it or the mounts on the board.
Mainboards cracked/busted when too much force was used installing
periperhals.

But, yea, I must be a nobody. I obviously have no experience and my
advice can safely be ignored (I hope you noticed the sarcasm in my
post here).