Hi

I am using WinXP Pro and have an MS IntelliMouse Optical with a driver
version 4.10.851.0. However just recently the Left Side Button (which is
programmed as the Back button in browsers) has stopped working. If I go into
the software, I can change the dropdown to program the button to Back and
everything works again until I re-boot.

Any help appreciated
TJ

Tony Wainwright wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am using WinXP Pro and have an MS IntelliMouse Optical with a driver
> version 4.10.851.0. However just recently the Left Side Button
> (which is programmed as the Back button in browsers) has stopped
> working. If I go into the software, I can change the dropdown to
> program the button to Back and everything works again until I re-boot.
>
> Any help appreciated
> TJ

This is going to be the most ironic thing you've ever heard, but I've found
that MS rodents don't like Windows! I've had no success with getting them to
work properly. That's why I use Logitech. I have an MX510 - sexy blue
thing - and it's perfect. I did have an MX700, but it's cordless and it
didn't do my CTS any good (too heavy - it weighed nearly 200g with the
batteries, the 510 is only 120g).

The MX 510 is the best mousie I've ever had, and my CTS/RSI symptoms have
reduced 90% since purchase. It's quite a compact mouse though, so if you
have extraordinarily long fingers you may find it's uncomfortable.

These days MS seem to be paying more attention to style - at the expense of
functionality. I don't give a damn if my mouse is - or isn't - designed by
Philippe Starck - I want something functional - and accurate. Read reviews -
in the MS vs Logitech battle, there is no contest. Logitech win by KO - in
the first round! What's the damned point of having something that looks
good, if it doesn't *work*?!

Ditch MS - go Logitech. You'll be very glad you did! I still have a Logitech
MouseMan (well my father has it now) which was released at the same time as
the original Intellimouse Explorer - I also had one of those - it lasted two
months. Replacement lasted less than a month. I gave up after that and have
used Logitech ever since. Plus I use a Mac on occasion, and MS won't
acknowledge the Mac OS's existence!
on salads.

Microsoft mice always have worked, with any Windows. You may want to update
to version 5.2 of the Intellipoint drivers.

Yves Leclerc wrote:
> Microsoft mice always have worked, with any Windows. You may want to
> update to version 5.2 of the Intellipoint drivers.

Try telling that to the members of the PC Format fora - we have no end of
issues with MS rodents. Logitech? Never.

on salads.

The mice have always worked but the enhanced drivers may have not. MS
bungled version 5.0 of the drivers by "forgetting" to re-activate the button
assignment for "keys" per program. They fixed it in 5.2 but now lost the
System Tray icon.

Logitech had similar problems. One version of MouseWare froze when a
program was trying to access a "serial" port.

> Yves Leclerc wrote:
>> Microsoft mice always have worked, with any Windows. You may want to
>> update to version 5.2 of the Intellipoint drivers.
>
> Try telling that to the members of the PC Format fora - we have no end of
> issues with MS rodents. Logitech? Never.
>

> --
> Facon - the artificial bacon bits you get in Pizza Hut for sprinkling
> on salads.

All I want is some help on how to make it work - thanks Yves (I'll try
that) - not some arguement about which is best. We might as well start
discussing the virtues of Windows against Linux against Mac's in this forum.
Personally I don't care I've used MS and Logitech, I also use Windows and
Linux, all of which do the job I want them to do.