2 HDD, 1 HDD - oh make up your mind !!

I have installed a new HDD with new XP install and slaved my old HDD to
transfer data and settings manually. The slave can be seen in the DOS at
machine power on, and is in the Device Manager profile. I can activate and
deactivate it. but it doesn't show in My Computer, nor can I access it in any
other way. I know I could burn the files onto a CD, but I wanted to use the
old disk as storage for MP3s once data is transferred, so need it to be
visible in My Computer.
6 answers Last reply
More about make mind

    Right click on "my computer" and go to "manage", left click and go to "disk
    management" from there you should be able to see the slave drive and give it
    a drive letter.

    Neil
    "Adomonster" <Adomonster@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have installed a new HDD with new XP install and slaved my old HDD to
    > transfer data and settings manually. The slave can be seen in the DOS at
    > machine power on, and is in the Device Manager profile. I can activate and
    > deactivate it. but it doesn't show in My Computer, nor can I access it in
    > any
    > other way. I know I could burn the files onto a CD, but I wanted to use
    > the
    > old disk as storage for MP3s once data is transferred, so need it to be
    > visible in My Computer.

    No joy. all the options are ghosted out except Delete Partition. I can see the:

    Activate Partition, and Change Drive Letter and Paths options but ghosted.

    I've run diskpart>rescan. Again no joy

    "neil" wrote:

    > Right click on "my computer" and go to "manage", left click and go to "disk
    > management" from there you should be able to see the slave drive and give it
    > a drive letter.
    >
    > Neil
    > "Adomonster" <Adomonster@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I have installed a new HDD with new XP install and slaved my old HDD to
    > > transfer data and settings manually. The slave can be seen in the DOS at
    > > machine power on, and is in the Device Manager profile. I can activate and
    > > deactivate it. but it doesn't show in My Computer, nor can I access it in
    > > any
    > > other way. I know I could burn the files onto a CD, but I wanted to use
    > > the
    > > old disk as storage for MP3s once data is transferred, so need it to be
    > > visible in My Computer.

    Just another thought, you have set the links correctly on both drives.??
    Master & Slave or cable select, some drives also need to be set "master with
    slave connected" for both drives to work correctly.

    > No joy. all the options are ghosted out except Delete Partition. I can see
    > the:
    >
    > Activate Partition, and Change Drive Letter and Paths options but ghosted.
    >
    > I've run diskpart>rescan. Again no joy
    >
    > "neil" wrote:
    >
    >> Right click on "my computer" and go to "manage", left click and go to
    >> "disk
    >> management" from there you should be able to see the slave drive and give
    >> it
    >> a drive letter.
    >>
    >> Neil
    >> "Adomonster" <Adomonster@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I have installed a new HDD with new XP install and slaved my old HDD to
    >> > transfer data and settings manually. The slave can be seen in the DOS
    >> > at
    >> > machine power on, and is in the Device Manager profile. I can activate
    >> > and
    >> > deactivate it. but it doesn't show in My Computer, nor can I access it
    >> > in
    >> > any
    >> > other way. I know I could burn the files onto a CD, but I wanted to use
    >> > the
    >> > old disk as storage for MP3s once data is transferred, so need it to be
    >> > visible in My Computer.

    I'm *fairly* sure they are set correctly. The IDE cable is Ultra ATA
    selective and the jumper settings are correct by each HDD's instructions, but
    the jumper placings differ for each. In that ;;;: would be the master on the
    first drive, whereas :;;; is the master on the other and vice versa for the
    slave. Have tried them both set to CS. Currently set to Master and Slave as
    per each's diagram. Maybe the cable is confused!

    "neil" wrote:

    > Just another thought, you have set the links correctly on both drives.??
    > Master & Slave or cable select, some drives also need to be set "master with
    > slave connected" for both drives to work correctly.
    >
    > Neil
    > "Adomonster" <Adomonster@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > No joy. all the options are ghosted out except Delete Partition. I can see
    > > the:
    > >
    > > Activate Partition, and Change Drive Letter and Paths options but ghosted.
    > >
    > > I've run diskpart>rescan. Again no joy
    > >
    > > "neil" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Right click on "my computer" and go to "manage", left click and go to
    > >> "disk
    > >> management" from there you should be able to see the slave drive and give
    > >> it
    > >> a drive letter.
    > >>
    > >> Neil
    > >> "Adomonster" <Adomonster@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Another thought, did you use any software management on the drive or could
    it be that both drives are marked as active.??

    I'm clutching at straws a bit here.

    Adomonster wrote:

    >I have installed a new HDD with new XP install and slaved my old HDD to
    >transfer data and settings manually. The slave can be seen in the DOS at
    >machine power on, and is in the Device Manager profile. I can activate and
    >deactivate it. but it doesn't show in My Computer, nor can I access it in any
    >other way.

    Use TweakUI - one of the XP Powertoys from (

    Once installed you will find it in Start - All Programs - Powertoys for
    Windows XP

    Its My Computer - Drives page make sure the relevant drive letter is
    checked to be visible in My Computer

Computers Hard Drives Windows XP