Sign in with
Your question

How come when I "Shutdown" my computer restarts?

Last response: in Windows 7
February 7, 2011 11:51:53 PM

i built my own system. Just installed windows and when I go to " Shutdown" from the windows menu, it shuts down my computer then reboots it again?
February 8, 2011 1:04:18 AM

Do I need to reinstall my bios? or any other drivers. Right now I have a ASUS Sabertooth X58 motherboard. Nvidia GTX460. i7-950. I installed USB 3.0 drivers, Nvidia drivers. All up to date. I've been reading that its probably my drivers having a conflict or not up to date. Help!
February 8, 2011 9:06:32 AM

BSOD?? Next time when you reboot, press F8 until a menu comes up. Select "Disable automatic restart on system failure". Boot it up normally, then do what you did. If it BSOD, copy to us the details on it, or get a camera and take a pic of it
Related resources
February 8, 2011 9:29:11 AM

Another thing to try is disable the Wake-On-Lan on your network card if you got the option in BIOS. I had an old PC that used to reboot after I selected Shutdown. Killed the WOL, and then it behaved.
a c 243 $ Windows 7
February 8, 2011 12:14:47 PM

Look in your device manager to see if there are any devices indicating a problem, like drivers not loaded, etc. Sounds like an ACPI issue is occurring. Same goes for any unknown devices. Report back your results. Good luck!
February 8, 2011 4:40:23 PM

Okay guys I figured it out. I originally had my GTX 460 on the PCI slot in the middle of the board but then moved it to the PCIe slot closest to my motherboard it started to restart and not shut down. I tried to disable auto restart but it didnt work.

I then moved the card back to the middle of the board, from the closest to the CPU and it stopped the problem. Any reason for this? they are both x16 speed so speed isn't an issue, and I also did a passmark test so its still the same. Note that originally when I installed the drivers it was in the original slot with no problems, then i moved it closer and it started restarting.

I tried to reinstall the gtx460 drivers when it was in the closer slot again but it wouldn't let me and said " failure". Moved it back though and now im good to go.

Reasons?
a c 243 $ Windows 7
February 8, 2011 5:10:00 PM

Typically, you have primary and secondary PCI-E x16 slots. You need your GPU (if only using a single) to be in the primary slot for best performance. Seems you have done that now.

By the way, did you find any oddities in Device Manager?
February 8, 2011 6:52:36 PM

no oddities found in device manager.
August 1, 2011 1:45:15 PM

spenceryuan said:
i built my own system. Just installed windows and when I go to " Shutdown" from the windows menu, it shuts down my computer then reboots it again?

August 1, 2011 1:46:47 PM

spenceryuan said:

!