K7N2 Delta ILSR wont install my os on new hdd

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
June 2, 2004 1:45:50 AM

I'm having the same problems with my mb. I've tried everything but
changing the power supply. Dam thing shuts off in the middle of
installing win xp. Does MSI have a bios patch? I've checked my memory
and its fine. Even with bios on lowest default settings it won't
install Win xp pro to my new Maxtor Diamondplus 9 hdd. I know the
drives good it works fine on this pc and installed my new version of
xp without a prob. On the other hand the new K7N2 mb won't load any of
my hdd and i have win 2k, millenium and 98 se. It powers off and
generally acts unstable. Ur right this mb is a pos!!!
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 2, 2004 5:24:14 AM

Changing the power supply would have been near the top of the list of
things I would have tried. Your post is also a bit confusing. When
you stated that you know the drive "works fine on this pc," did you
mean you used it on the same pc with the same motherboard, or did you
mean the same pc with a different motherboard? And how did you check
your memory? As a hardware tech, I don't really put much faith in any
memory checkers. The best way to check memory is to run the operating
system and look for memory type errors. The errors you describe could
fall into this category (surprisingly, I've seen faulty memory cause
an XP installation to fail - by shutting off the computer!)

Going on your description of "generally being unstable," here is what
I would check:

1) Check that your CPU heatsink is sitting correctly on your CPU - you
didn't mention that you checked the CPU temp so i am assuming that you
didn't... (I had an installation do exactly what you described simply
because the heatsink wasn't sitting edxactly right on the CPU. After
adjusting it, that system never had a hitch again.)

2) Check your memory against the list of compatible memory with the
motherboard. Yes, this motherboard is hard to match memory to.

3) Check that the power supply is an AMD recommended PSU and that it
has enough power to handle all the stuff you have in your computer.
I'd recommend not less than a 400 Watt PSU, and from a reputable PSU
vendor, as PSU ratings are as meaningful as audio amplifier specs -
each manufacturer has their own way of rating their products.

Could you go into more detail what you've tried so I won't duplicate
anything that you've already tried?
I've installed XP Pro and Home versions on many K7N2 based boards
without a hitch, so I know it's possible. Let's try to work this
problem through.

Thanks.

--
Bill
(Please remove "no-spam" from address when replying)

"Bill Ko" <billko@no-spam.comcast.net> wrote in message
> Changing the power supply would have been near the top of the list of
> things I would have tried. Your post is also a bit confusing. When
> you stated that you know the drive "works fine on this pc," did you
> mean you used it on the same pc with the same motherboard, or did you
> mean the same pc with a different motherboard? And how did you check
> your memory? As a hardware tech, I don't really put much faith in any
> memory checkers. The best way to check memory is to run the operating
> system and look for memory type errors. The errors you describe could
> fall into this category (surprisingly, I've seen faulty memory cause
> an XP installation to fail - by shutting off the computer!)
>
> Going on your description of "generally being unstable," here is what
> I would check:
>
> 1) Check that your CPU heatsink is sitting correctly on your CPU - you
> didn't mention that you checked the CPU temp so i am assuming that you
> didn't... (I had an installation do exactly what you described simply
> because the heatsink wasn't sitting edxactly right on the CPU. After
> adjusting it, that system never had a hitch again.)
>
> 2) Check your memory against the list of compatible memory with the
> motherboard. Yes, this motherboard is hard to match memory to.
>
> 3) Check that the power supply is an AMD recommended PSU and that it
> has enough power to handle all the stuff you have in your computer.
> I'd recommend not less than a 400 Watt PSU, and from a reputable PSU
> vendor, as PSU ratings are as meaningful as audio amplifier specs -
> each manufacturer has their own way of rating their products.
>
> Could you go into more detail what you've tried so I won't duplicate
> anything that you've already tried?
> I've installed XP Pro and Home versions on many K7N2 based boards
> without a hitch, so I know it's possible. Let's try to work this
> problem through.
>
> Thanks.
>
> On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 04:45:50 UTC, fjh8402@hotmail.com (Fred) wrote:
>
> > I'm having the same problems with my mb. I've tried everything but
> > changing the power supply. Dam thing shuts off in the middle of
> > installing win xp. Does MSI have a bios patch? I've checked my memory
> > and its fine. Even with bios on lowest default settings it won't
> > install Win xp pro to my new Maxtor Diamondplus 9 hdd. I know the
> > drives good it works fine on this pc and installed my new version of
> > xp without a prob. On the other hand the new K7N2 mb won't load any of
> > my hdd and i have win 2k, millenium and 98 se. It powers off and
> > generally acts unstable. Ur right this mb is a pos!!!
>

> --
> Bill
> (Please remove "no-spam" from address when replying)

I have this board as well. No problems like that. I like the board. Samsung
PC2700 RAM. 3 sticks DDR running @ 350 for a total of 768 RAM. Two WD HD's
one 80 the other 20 gigs. 350 watt PSU(Allied). AMD 2800 Barton. Gforce3
ti200 128 Mem(I know, old, but will be the next upgrade). SB A2 card with
Mega Works 6.1.

Yes I am a gaming freak and love it...................

: )

Where in the hell is HL2???????????????

I am going to guess PSU on this one. The possibility of a bad stick of ram
may also be there.
And as stated double check the Heatsink. Very critical to transfer heat
efficiently!!! Use the right grease also.

Post back............
!