Updated K8T Master2 FAR to use K8T800Pro chipset?

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
June 3, 2004 1:07:45 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,comp.os.linux.hardware (More info?)

That's the question- anybody know/heard rumours if MSI will be making
a dual Opteron motherboard with the Via K8T800Pro chipset soon?

I've been waiting on the 939s, now that they're out I am _very_
disappointed with the pricing so I am looking again at dual Opterons.
I'd hate to buy one of these boards only for the "Pro" version to be
announced weeks later with 1Ghz HyperTransport support!

This was one on the few AMD64/Operton boards I saw listed with AGP 2X
support, which I need for my ancient & early model Matrox G400MAX.

I plan to run the board in full 64-bit mode, using Gentoo Linux.

Comments?

--
Brian Hall
Linux Consultant

Now that would be nice to know. Probably way to early to tell because
939 motherboards are not even out yet.

939 prices have put opterons back on the map. Also the performance
gains are marginal at best.

Hopefully someone will know the answer to your question.

Brian> That's the question- anybody know/heard rumours if MSI will be
Brian> making a dual Opteron motherboard with the Via K8T800Pro
Brian> chipset soon?

Brian> I've been waiting on the 939s, now that they're out I am
Brian> _very_ disappointed with the pricing so I am looking again at
Brian> dual Opterons. I'd hate to buy one of these boards only for
Brian> the "Pro" version to be announced weeks later with 1Ghz
Brian> HyperTransport support!

Brian> This was one on the few AMD64/Operton boards I saw listed with
Brian> AGP 2X support, which I need for my ancient & early model
Brian> Matrox G400MAX.

Brian> I plan to run the board in full 64-bit mode, using Gentoo
Brian> Linux.

Brian> Comments?

Brian> -- Brian Hall Linux Consultant http://pcisys.net/~brihall
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 3, 2004 7:02:30 PM

Got a reply back from MSI tech support:

"Dear Sir,

Currently there is no plan to release an updated version of K8T Master
using the K8TPro chipset, or develop any other using this chipset at the
moment

Best regards,

MSI Technical Support"

Not the answer I wanted, but at least it was prompt!

So, looks like I'm down to three choices:

1) Go with a Master2 FAR and dual Opterons (242 or 244s);
2) Go with a S754 Abit KV8Pro and maybe a DTR 3200+;
3) Wait until 2005 for S939 prices to come down

3) is probably not doable for me. I've delayed my upgrades for
over a year waiting for S939. I'm still running a P3-600 overclocked
to 850Mhz, so I'm way past due here.

2) is cheaper (~$600) but for roughly 50% more (~$900) I can get
1) which will certainly compile faster (Gentoo Linux). I also see
that 1) is stable in Linux, while 2) is still using Alpha(!) BIOSes
(not yet a stable board). I need to wait 2 or 3 weeks (company coming
in), but if the situation hasn't changed I expect I'll go for
1) ordered from Monarch Computer (so it arrives already tested).

--
Brian Hall
Linux Consultant