About time MSI Class Action

I guess now I know why my MSI board failed 3 times (original and 2
replacements) from you guessed it...blown capacitors surrounding the CPU
socket.

http://money.iwon.com/jsp/nw/nwdt_rt.jsp?section=news&feed=reu&src=201&news_id=reu-n01647706&date=20040601

I'll be staying on top of this one, seeing as MSI does not care to help me.
11 answers Last reply
More about about time class action

    "PC Medic" <NOT@home.net> wrote in message
    > I guess now I know why my MSI board failed 3 times (original and 2
    > replacements) from you guessed it...blown capacitors surrounding the CPU
    > socket.

    MSI isn't alone. We here in New York State have replaced thousands of IBM
    motherboards due to faulty caps leaking. Eventually we plan on replacing
    every single IBM motherboard in every state and county agency PC installed
    by the state.

    Tom Lake
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

    "Tom Lake" <tlake@twcny.rr.com> wrote in message
    > "PC Medic" <NOT@home.net> wrote in message
    > > I guess now I know why my MSI board failed 3 times (original and 2
    > > replacements) from you guessed it...blown capacitors surrounding the
    CPU
    > > socket.
    >
    > MSI isn't alone. We here in New York State have replaced thousands of IBM
    > motherboards due to faulty caps leaking. Eventually we plan on replacing
    > every single IBM motherboard in every state and county agency PC installed
    > by the state.
    >
    > Tom Lake

    Perhaps NYS should be looking to IBM to replace them if this is a known
    defect.

    I for one am tired of getting boned by companies that do not stand behind
    their products.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

    > Perhaps NYS should be looking to IBM to replace them if this is a known
    > defect.

    They were the lowest bidder who could meet our specs! Of course some people
    say Gov. Pataki had the specs written so no one else COULD meet them but you
    know how
    those things are!

    Tom L
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

    > > Perhaps NYS should be looking to IBM to replace them if this is a known
    > > defect.
    >
    > They were the lowest bidder who could meet our specs! Of course some
    people
    > say Gov. Pataki had the specs written so no one else COULD meet them but
    you
    > know how
    > those things are!

    This is a very common practice in just about every field where bids have to
    be taken before awarding a contract. And there's no secret about it either.
    In fact, most vendors already have cut sheets available for their entire
    product line which include very tightly written specs. These are for the
    convenience of the specifying authority who wants a particular product for
    their project.

    Here's a random example of what I'm talking about...

    http://www.diebold.com/gssasupaes/cut_sheets/cut_sheet_files/Card%20Systems/170354r01.pdf
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

    On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 14:32:13 GMT, "Banister Stairwell"
    <afganistan@bananastan.com> wrote:

    | "Tom Lake" <tlake@twcny.rr.com> wrote in message
    | > > Perhaps NYS should be looking to IBM to replace them if this is a known
    | > > defect.
    | >
    | > They were the lowest bidder who could meet our specs! Of course some
    | people
    | > say Gov. Pataki had the specs written so no one else COULD meet them but
    | you
    | > know how
    | > those things are!
    |
    | This is a very common practice in just about every field where bids have to
    | be taken before awarding a contract. And there's no secret about it either.
    | In fact, most vendors already have cut sheets available for their entire
    | product line which include very tightly written specs. These are for the
    | convenience of the specifying authority who wants a particular product for
    | their project.

    It's also a way taxpayers often get roundly screwed by being deceived
    into putting too much money into too many undeserving pockets!

    Larc

  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

    "PC Medic" <NOT@home.net> wrote in message
    > I guess now I know why my MSI board failed 3 times (original and 2
    > replacements) from you guessed it...blown capacitors surrounding the CPU
    > socket.

    http://money.iwon.com/jsp/nw/nwdt_rt.jsp?section=news&feed=reu&src=201&news_id=reu-n01647706&date=20040601

    > I'll be staying on top of this one, seeing as MSI does not care to help
    me.

    With so many motherboard manufactures having used these inferior capacitors,
    the attorney filing the suit may have a difficult time proving culpability.
    Of course, it won't be the first time an attorney and/or a law firm has
    taken a case simply for the free publicity.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

    "Banister Stairwell" <afganistan@bananastan.com> wrote in message
    > "PC Medic" <NOT@home.net> wrote in message
    > > I guess now I know why my MSI board failed 3 times (original and 2
    > > replacements) from you guessed it...blown capacitors surrounding the
    CPU
    > > socket.

    http://money.iwon.com/jsp/nw/nwdt_rt.jsp?section=news&feed=reu&src=201&news_id=reu-n01647706&date=20040601

    > > I'll be staying on top of this one, seeing as MSI does not care to help
    > me.
    >
    > With so many motherboard manufactures having used these inferior
    capacitors,
    > the attorney filing the suit may have a difficult time proving
    culpability.
    > Of course, it won't be the first time an attorney and/or a law firm has
    > taken a case simply for the free publicity.

    Or consumers got tired of getting stiffed by inferior products.
    Using the capacitor is not the problem as much as continuing to use it after
    they were aware of the problem.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

    http://money.iwon.com/jsp/nw/nwdt_rt.jsp?section=news&feed=reu&src=201&news_id=reu-n01647706&date=20040601

    > > > I'll be staying on top of this one, seeing as MSI does not care to
    help
    > > me.
    > >
    > > With so many motherboard manufactures having used these inferior
    > capacitors,
    > > the attorney filing the suit may have a difficult time proving
    > culpability.
    > > Of course, it won't be the first time an attorney and/or a law firm has
    > > taken a case simply for the free publicity.
    > >

    > Or consumers got tired of getting stiffed by inferior products.
    > Using the capacitor is not the problem as much as continuing to use it
    after
    > they were aware of the problem.

    Or fessing up to the problem even after they stopped using them.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

    Banister Stairwell wrote:
    > Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if MSI *did* knowingly produce motherboards
    > with the defective capacitors...but no more surprised than I would be to
    > find out that Shuttle, Gigabyte, Soyo, Abit, Asus, etc. did the same thing.

    A few years ago when this bad cap issue was a major problem I had
    several MSI boards go bad from caps blowing their tops. But, I also had
    boards from Asus and Abit do the same thing. My guess is that many
    vendors bought the same bad caps.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

    > A few years ago when this bad cap issue was a major problem I had
    > several MSI boards go bad from caps blowing their tops. But, I also had
    > boards from Asus and Abit do the same thing. My guess is that many
    > vendors bought the same bad caps.

    Yes, it can happen to any vendor. The difference is how the vendor responds
    to it. In my case, IBM is replacing tens of thousands of motherboards from
    computer models that have been known to have defective caps even if the
    individual motherboard shows no sign of the defect. I certainly can't
    complain about IBM service! MSI, on the other hand, seems to be trying to
    deny the problem and hide it.

    Tom Lake
  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

    On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 21:53:19 +0000, Tom Lake wrote:

    >> A few years ago when this bad cap issue was a major problem I had
    >> several MSI boards go bad from caps blowing their tops. But, I also had
    >> boards from Asus and Abit do the same thing. My guess is that many
    >> vendors bought the same bad caps.

    If it's about tantalium (the small 'drops') capacitors, then the problem
    is probably a wrong circuit design. Manufacturers simply *require* to have
    resistors put in series with the caps due to their low internal resistance.

    Flip

    > Yes, it can happen to any vendor. The difference is how the vendor responds
    > to it. In my case, IBM is replacing tens of thousands of motherboards from
    > computer models that have been known to have defective caps even if the
    > individual motherboard shows no sign of the defect. I certainly can't
    > complain about IBM service! MSI, on the other hand, seems to be trying to
    > deny the problem and hide it.
    >
    > Tom Lake

MSI-Microstar Socket Motherboards