Computer Haunted!!

jerry557

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2001
Man this is a little spooky!

On Windows 2000...if I have an audio CD in the cd-rom. The computer will just suddenly start playing a track out of the blue for no reason. I check to see what processes are running and no media player is running!! Then sometimes switches tracks in the middle of the song.

This isn't if I first insert it either...this happens sometimes hours after it's put in. It doesn't do this to other cd either...only audio.

And the only way to stop it from running is to either forcefully eject the CD or turn off the computer.

Anyone know what this might be? Or is my computer spooked?

Right click My Computer, go to device manager tab, double click on the CD-ROM device, select settings tab, check the box "Auto insert notification". This stops CDs auto starting. It might work. Ghosties and Goulies and thing that go beep in the night. he he

<b>
"Now drop your weapons or I'll kill him with this deadly jelly baby." :wink:
</b>

Dantin1

Distinguished
May 7, 2001
If what the other guy said doesn't help then you might consider the temp inside your computer case. Sounds like a heat problem with the ole CD-ROM. It warms up and toasty then it starts doing what it wants. *grin* Good indicator. I'd also run a System diagnostic after your computer has been on for a while to see what it says when it gets to the CD-ROM test.

Dantin

James35

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Throw Holy Water on it see if it grows teeth and tries to eat you LOL.

I'd say shut off the auto insert also. maybe another program looking at it.

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Lots of computers have "gremlins", and act like they are possessed. Hire an exorcist, and duck if it spits soup at you! LOL!

Toejam31

<font color=purple>If there was a reason for everything, having faith would be redundant.</font color=purple>