To share printer does desktop need to be turned on?

I finally got the laptop connected to the network & it recogonizes the
printer only sometimes. Both computers running XP. Does my desktop need to
be turned on (the printer is on) in order to print from the laptop? I
finally got the laptop to find the printer it is set up to share. I got it
to print yesterday & left the house after turning both systems off. When I
got back, I turned on the laptop but not the desktop and turned on the
printer to try again & it said it couldn't connect. I delted it & re-added
it but I had also turned on the desktop as well. So I don't know if I then
got it to print again because I turned on the desktop or if it was soemthing
else. It seems stupid to be in another room wirelessly & then have to run
into the other room and turn on the desktop in order to print from the
laptop!!

Thanks

I got this message, but this is not my question!
please notify mampajama.
archos

"mamapajama" wrote:

> I finally got the laptop connected to the network & it recogonizes the
> printer only sometimes. Both computers running XP. Does my desktop need to
> be turned on (the printer is on) in order to print from the laptop? I
> finally got the laptop to find the printer it is set up to share. I got it
> to print yesterday & left the house after turning both systems off. When I
> got back, I turned on the laptop but not the desktop and turned on the
> printer to try again & it said it couldn't connect. I delted it & re-added
> it but I had also turned on the desktop as well. So I don't know if I then
> got it to print again because I turned on the desktop or if it was soemthing
> else. It seems stupid to be in another room wirelessly & then have to run
> into the other room and turn on the desktop in order to print from the
> laptop!!
>
> Thanks

Malke

mamapajama wrote:

> I finally got the laptop connected to the network & it recogonizes the
> printer only sometimes. Both computers running XP. Does my desktop
> need to
> be turned on (the printer is on) in order to print from the laptop? I
> finally got the laptop to find the printer it is set up to share. I
> got it
> to print yesterday & left the house after turning both systems off.
> When I got back, I turned on the laptop but not the desktop and turned
> on the
> printer to try again & it said it couldn't connect. I delted it &
> re-added it but I had also turned on the desktop as well. So I don't
> know if I then got it to print again because I turned on the desktop
> or if it was soemthing
> else. It seems stupid to be in another room wirelessly & then have to
> run into the other room and turn on the desktop in order to print from
> the laptop!!
>
> Thanks

Yes, if you have a printer connected to a computer and want to use it,
that computer must be on. Consider buying a print server if you don't
want to turn your desktop on.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
www.elephantboycomputers.com

The only way to print without having your other PC turned on would be to
install an ethernet or wireless print server and attach the printer to that.
Then all computers would have to access that printer via the print server.
In otherwords you'd have to install that printer as a network printer on ALL
the computers you have that you would want to print from.
Instruction that come with the print server and probably setup software will
be included with the server.