K7T266 AC97 no sound

No sound at rear audio port line-out ever

MSI K7T266 Pro2-A (MS-6380E) ATX mainboard with front panel autdio
connector JAUD1 properly jumpered at pins 5&6 and 9&10. CD connected at
mobo JCD

BIOS setup: Ami v. 5.5 2002 Jul 10 PnP Yes - Integrated peripherals: AC
97 enabled

OS Win98se
Drivers: dl/d from msi.com.tw yesterday: Realtek v 4.0.6.6 dated 2004
Jun 1 - properly installed System check - no conflicts, drivers show
the Realtek AC97

Troubleshooting: Win apps like recorder show graphic of .wav sound
playing - no sound. CD player shows track counter advancing - no sound
in analog or digital configuration.

I see an announcement in the msi troubleshooting forum [troubleshooting
guide from Bas at the front page of AMD32 VIA Socket A based board] that
sez "Sound won't work.....mostly metal-standoff's" - but I don't know
what that means. There is a brass standoff very near the joystick/midi
& audioport connector, but it is 'normal' and not touching any traces to
top inspection. It would be some trouble to remove it and replace it
with a plastic one.

Any suggestions as to where to proceed from here? I haven't yet posted
in the MSI forums, as I prefer nntp newsgrouping if possible.

--
Mike Easter | http://www.verifiedvoting.org
Voter-Verified Paper Trail for 2004 Elections

"Mike Easter" <MikeE@ster.invalid> wrote in message
> No sound at rear audio port line-out ever
>
> MSI K7T266 Pro2-A (MS-6380E) ATX mainboard with front panel autdio
> connector JAUD1 properly jumpered at pins 5&6 and 9&10. CD connected at
> mobo JCD
>
> BIOS setup: Ami v. 5.5 2002 Jul 10 PnP Yes - Integrated peripherals: AC
> 97 enabled
>
> OS Win98se
> Drivers: dl/d from msi.com.tw yesterday: Realtek v 4.0.6.6 dated 2004
> Jun 1 - properly installed System check - no conflicts, drivers show
> the Realtek AC97
>
> Troubleshooting: Win apps like recorder show graphic of .wav sound
> playing - no sound. CD player shows track counter advancing - no sound
> in analog or digital configuration.
>
> I see an announcement in the msi troubleshooting forum [troubleshooting
> guide from Bas at the front page of AMD32 VIA Socket A based board] that
> sez "Sound won't work.....mostly metal-standoff's" - but I don't know
> what that means. There is a brass standoff very near the joystick/midi
> & audioport connector, but it is 'normal' and not touching any traces to
> top inspection. It would be some trouble to remove it and replace it
> with a plastic one.
>
> Any suggestions as to where to proceed from here? I haven't yet posted
> in the MSI forums, as I prefer nntp newsgrouping if possible.
>

> --
> Mike Easter | http://www.verifiedvoting.org
> Voter-Verified Paper Trail for 2004 Elections

Mike,
The onboard sound is not a Realtek, you need the VIA AC97 PCI sound
drivers from the part of the msi.com.tw site that holds all the drivers etc
for your MB.
Here is the link (it is a bit long - if it does not work then just put
"MS-6380E" in the site search to get to the page)
http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/download/dld/spt_dld_detail.php?UID=320&kind=1
You will also need the VIA 4 in 1 drivers from that page if you haven't
already installed them.

Dave

logized wrote:
> "Mike Easter"
>> Drivers: dl/d from msi.com.tw yesterday: Realtek v 4.0.6.6 dated 2004
>> Jun 1 - properly installed System check - no conflicts, drivers show
>> the Realtek AC97

> The onboard sound is not a Realtek, you need the VIA AC97
> PCI sound drivers from the part of the msi.com.tw site that holds all
> the drivers etc for your MB.
> Here is the link (it is a bit long - if it does not work then just put
> "MS-6380E" in the site search to get to the page)

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/download/dld/spt_dld_detail.php?UI
D=320&kind=1
> You will also need the VIA 4 in 1 drivers from that page if you
> haven't already installed them.

Thanks for your response. This is very strange.

The file in question at that site which looks exactly like where I
downloaded before is viasound53.exe - which is exactly the same filename
as the file I downloaded before, but...

when the file was executed before, it yielded a folder named
'Realtek_ALC_sound'

Now, when I execute the 'new' viasound53.exe, I get an entirely
different result.

Now, it does not create a folder, but the rar extracts the files into
the same folder which the viasound file is in, and the resulting files
are different.

On top of that; I have another problem.

If I remove the Realtek AC97 from the System devices so as to install
using the setup from the new viasound53 I can't do it for 2 reasons.
Well, 3 reasons, I guess.

First, I cannot keep Win from installing the Realtek if I reboot, even
if I disable PnP in the bios. I never have an option to cancel the
install of the new hardware. Win sez it finds the new hardware and
installs the drivers, I have no cancel or choose a folder for drivers or
anything else. It is a done deal.

Second, if I don't reboot, but simply remove the Realtek from system
devices and then try to install with the setup of the files from the new
viasound53; the installer won't let me do it. It sez that the AC97
chipset is not enabled on this system; which isn't true. It is enabled
in the bios.

And, there is still another problem after that.

If I don't remove the Realtek, but simply install the drivers from the
new viasound53 'over' the Realtek, then I /don't/ get the alert that the
chipset is not enabled, but instead the installation process from the
viasound53 files proceeds 'normally'. But then, at the end, Win comes
along and discovers the hardware and installs the drivers with no
ability of me to intervene, no cancel button, escape doesn't work,
ctrl-alt-delete doesn't prevent the Win 're-install' over my install
which goes forward, the system settings go forth, and the end result is
that Win re-installs Realtek over my viasound53 install over the Realtek
I didn't remove and reboot.

Very strange. I'm going to go search the msi.com.tw site for the 2
different kinds of viasound53 files. That is puzzling to me about why
they are different and why the one I got before is different from the
one at your link.

--
Mike Easter | http://www.verifiedvoting.org
Voter-Verified Paper Trail for 2004 Elections

> On top of that; I have another problem.
>
> If I remove the Realtek AC97 from the System devices so as to install
> using the setup from the new viasound53 I can't do it for 2 reasons.
> Well, 3 reasons, I guess.
>
> First, I cannot keep Win from installing the Realtek if I reboot, even
> if I disable PnP in the bios. I never have an option to cancel the
> install of the new hardware. Win sez it finds the new hardware and
> installs the drivers, I have no cancel or choose a folder for drivers or
> anything else. It is a done deal.

Mike,
I think what is happening is that win98 is using the Realtek driver
INF file, so automatically puts the driver back in without asking.
Look for "C:/windows/inf/other" directory and in there hopefully you will
find an .INF file that refers to the Realtek (the files readable with
notepad) MOVE the file to another directory and reboot and then Windows
should then prompt for the sound drivers.

Dave

logized wrote:

>> First, I cannot keep Win from installing the Realtek if I reboot,

> Mike,
> I think what is happening is that win98 is using the Realtek
> driver INF file, so automatically puts the driver back in without
> asking.
> Look for "C:/windows/inf/other" directory and in there hopefully you
> will find an .INF file that refers to the Realtek (the files readable
> with notepad) MOVE the file to another directory and reboot and then
> Windows should then prompt for the sound drivers.

Thanks again for hanging in here with me.

The audio .inf files in there are named:

VIA Technologies, Inc.VIAUDOEM.INF
VIA Technologies, Inc.viaudios.inf

I've moved them to another folder, but I get all the same results as
described before. I think I'm going to have to find out how to fix
something in the registry.

I found the page I mistakenly got the Realtek drivers from, whose name
is also viasound53.exe, it is at
http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/driver/dvr/spt_dvr_detail.php?UID=
386 - which is for the K7T266 Pro2-U instead of the K7T266 Pro2-A which
is at
http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/driver/dvr/spt_dvr_detail.php?UID=
320

According to system devices the Realtek drivers are:

ALCXWDM.SYS - S32\DR
VMM32.VXD (ntkem.vxd)
MMDEVLDR.VXD
RTLCPAPI.DLL
AUDIO3D.DLL
CRLDS3D.DLL
ALCXSENS.SYS - S32\DR
RTLCPL.EXE
ALSNDMGR.WAV
ALSNDMGR.CPL
SOUNDMAN.EXE - W:

where the 2 'S32\DR' ones are in Windows\System32\Drivers and the 'W:'
one is in Windows and all of the rest are in Windows\System.

--

> logized wrote:
>
> >> First, I cannot keep Win from installing the Realtek if I reboot,
>
> > Mike,
> > I think what is happening is that win98 is using the Realtek
> > driver INF file, so automatically puts the driver back in without
> > asking.
> > Look for "C:/windows/inf/other" directory and in there hopefully you
> > will find an .INF file that refers to the Realtek (the files readable
> > with notepad) MOVE the file to another directory and reboot and then
> > Windows should then prompt for the sound drivers.
>
> Thanks again for hanging in here with me.
>
> The audio .inf files in there are named:
>
> VIA Technologies, Inc.VIAUDOEM.INF
> VIA Technologies, Inc.viaudios.inf
>
> I've moved them to another folder, but I get all the same results as
> described before. I think I'm going to have to find out how to fix
> something in the registry.
>

> I found the page I mistakenly got the Realtek drivers from, whose name
> is also viasound53.exe, it is at
> http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/driver/dvr/spt_dvr_detail.php?UID=
> 386 - which is for the K7T266 Pro2-U instead of the K7T266 Pro2-A which
> is at
> http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/driver/dvr/spt_dvr_detail.php?UID=
> 320
>
> According to system devices the Realtek drivers are:
>
> ALCXWDM.SYS - S32\DR
> VMM32.VXD (ntkem.vxd)
> MMDEVLDR.VXD
> RTLCPAPI.DLL
> AUDIO3D.DLL
> CRLDS3D.DLL
> ALCXSENS.SYS - S32\DR
> RTLCPL.EXE
> ALSNDMGR.WAV
> ALSNDMGR.CPL
> SOUNDMAN.EXE - W:
>
> where the 2 'S32\DR' ones are in Windows\System32\Drivers and the 'W:'
> one is in Windows and all of the rest are in Windows\System.
>
> --
> Mike Easter | http://www.verifiedvoting.org
> Voter-Verified Paper Trail for 2004 Elections

Mike,
According to the Realtek website, you can remove everything from
control panel "add/remove programs" it is listed as "Realtek ac97 drivers
and applications"
http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/ac97readme.pdf

Dave

logized wrote:
> According to the Realtek website, you can remove everything
> from control panel "add/remove programs" it is listed as "Realtek
> ac97 drivers and applications"
> http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/ac97readme.pdf

ooh, a Realtek readme. Thanks.

The current situation...

I have successfully removed the Realtek drivers. I have installed the
'latest' Via 4in1 drivers according to my decision to use the latest
non-Hyperion ones. The MSI disk contained v.4.4.2 Via non-Hyperion and
the Via site has 4.4.3 non-Hyperion, along with language saying that
some Win9x users preferred the non-Hyperion. Hyperion 4in1s are now at
4.5.1. The drivers at my board's section at msi.com.tw are the Hyperion
4.51/s.

I have installed the Via AC97 drivers which were available at
msi.com.tw, which wasn't easy. The setup program still 'insisted' that
the AC97 wasn't enabled, which it is, so it wasn't possible to use
setup.exe. So, I installed using the Win install wizard and pointing it
at the folder containing the WDM drivers for the Via setup..

The problem is that sound still doesn't work. The conditions are the
same, I can see a .wav file playing in MS Recorder, but no sound comes
from the lineout speakers. The mobo configurations are that there are
jumpers on the mobo for front panel audio - ie absent front panel audio,
2 pairs need to be jumpered, which are. The BIOS is AC97 enabled. The
system devices now say Via Enhanced Audio Controller (WDM) with no
conflicts. There were alternate .inf choices in the WDM folder, 2 pairs
of identicals. I chose enhanced as above over Via Audio Controller, but
there were no istructions as to what .inf file would be the best
choice... the whole thing was designed around the setup.exe, which
doesn't work right.

I guess my next step is using a sound card.