K7T266 AC97 no sound

No sound at rear audio port line-out ever

MSI K7T266 Pro2-A (MS-6380E) ATX mainboard with front panel autdio
connector JAUD1 properly jumpered at pins 5&6 and 9&10. CD connected at
mobo JCD

BIOS setup: Ami v. 5.5 2002 Jul 10 PnP Yes - Integrated peripherals: AC
97 enabled

OS Win98se
Drivers: dl/d from msi.com.tw yesterday: Realtek v 4.0.6.6 dated 2004
Jun 1 - properly installed System check - no conflicts, drivers show
the Realtek AC97

Troubleshooting: Win apps like recorder show graphic of .wav sound
playing - no sound. CD player shows track counter advancing - no sound
in analog or digital configuration.

I see an announcement in the msi troubleshooting forum [troubleshooting
guide from Bas at the front page of AMD32 VIA Socket A based board] that
sez "Sound won't work.....mostly metal-standoff's" - but I don't know
what that means. There is a brass standoff very near the joystick/midi
& audioport connector, but it is 'normal' and not touching any traces to
top inspection. It would be some trouble to remove it and replace it
with a plastic one.

Any suggestions as to where to proceed from here? I haven't yet posted
in the MSI forums, as I prefer nntp newsgrouping if possible.

--
Mike Easter | http://www.verifiedvoting.org
Voter-Verified Paper Trail for 2004 Elections

    "Mike Easter" <MikeE@ster.invalid> wrote in message
    > No sound at rear audio port line-out ever
    >
    > MSI K7T266 Pro2-A (MS-6380E) ATX mainboard with front panel autdio
    > connector JAUD1 properly jumpered at pins 5&6 and 9&10. CD connected at
    > mobo JCD
    >
    > BIOS setup: Ami v. 5.5 2002 Jul 10 PnP Yes - Integrated peripherals: AC
    > 97 enabled
    >
    > OS Win98se
    > Drivers: dl/d from msi.com.tw yesterday: Realtek v 4.0.6.6 dated 2004
    > Jun 1 - properly installed System check - no conflicts, drivers show
    > the Realtek AC97
    >
    > Troubleshooting: Win apps like recorder show graphic of .wav sound
    > playing - no sound. CD player shows track counter advancing - no sound
    > in analog or digital configuration.
    >
    > I see an announcement in the msi troubleshooting forum [troubleshooting
    > guide from Bas at the front page of AMD32 VIA Socket A based board] that
    > sez "Sound won't work.....mostly metal-standoff's" - but I don't know
    > what that means. There is a brass standoff very near the joystick/midi
    > & audioport connector, but it is 'normal' and not touching any traces to
    > top inspection. It would be some trouble to remove it and replace it
    > with a plastic one.
    >
    > Any suggestions as to where to proceed from here? I haven't yet posted
    > in the MSI forums, as I prefer nntp newsgrouping if possible.
    >

    > --
    > Mike Easter | http://www.verifiedvoting.org
    > Voter-Verified Paper Trail for 2004 Elections

    Mike,
    The onboard sound is not a Realtek, you need the VIA AC97 PCI sound
    drivers from the part of the msi.com.tw site that holds all the drivers etc
    for your MB.
    Here is the link (it is a bit long - if it does not work then just put
    "MS-6380E" in the site search to get to the page)
    http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/download/dld/spt_dld_detail.php?UID=320&kind=1
    You will also need the VIA 4 in 1 drivers from that page if you haven't
    already installed them.

    Dave
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

    logized wrote:
    > "Mike Easter"
    >> Drivers: dl/d from msi.com.tw yesterday: Realtek v 4.0.6.6 dated 2004
    >> Jun 1 - properly installed System check - no conflicts, drivers show
    >> the Realtek AC97

    > The onboard sound is not a Realtek, you need the VIA AC97
    > PCI sound drivers from the part of the msi.com.tw site that holds all
    > the drivers etc for your MB.
    > Here is the link (it is a bit long - if it does not work then just put
    > "MS-6380E" in the site search to get to the page)

    http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/download/dld/spt_dld_detail.php?UI
    D=320&kind=1
    > You will also need the VIA 4 in 1 drivers from that page if you
    > haven't already installed them.

    Thanks for your response. This is very strange.

    The file in question at that site which looks exactly like where I
    downloaded before is viasound53.exe - which is exactly the same filename
    as the file I downloaded before, but...

    when the file was executed before, it yielded a folder named
    'Realtek_ALC_sound'

    Now, when I execute the 'new' viasound53.exe, I get an entirely
    different result.

    Now, it does not create a folder, but the rar extracts the files into
    the same folder which the viasound file is in, and the resulting files
    are different.

    On top of that; I have another problem.

    If I remove the Realtek AC97 from the System devices so as to install
    using the setup from the new viasound53 I can't do it for 2 reasons.
    Well, 3 reasons, I guess.

    First, I cannot keep Win from installing the Realtek if I reboot, even
    if I disable PnP in the bios. I never have an option to cancel the
    install of the new hardware. Win sez it finds the new hardware and
    installs the drivers, I have no cancel or choose a folder for drivers or
    anything else. It is a done deal.

    Second, if I don't reboot, but simply remove the Realtek from system
    devices and then try to install with the setup of the files from the new
    viasound53; the installer won't let me do it. It sez that the AC97
    chipset is not enabled on this system; which isn't true. It is enabled
    in the bios.

    And, there is still another problem after that.

    If I don't remove the Realtek, but simply install the drivers from the
    new viasound53 'over' the Realtek, then I /don't/ get the alert that the
    chipset is not enabled, but instead the installation process from the
    viasound53 files proceeds 'normally'. But then, at the end, Win comes
    along and discovers the hardware and installs the drivers with no
    ability of me to intervene, no cancel button, escape doesn't work,
    ctrl-alt-delete doesn't prevent the Win 're-install' over my install
    which goes forward, the system settings go forth, and the end result is
    that Win re-installs Realtek over my viasound53 install over the Realtek
    I didn't remove and reboot.

    Very strange. I'm going to go search the msi.com.tw site for the 2
    different kinds of viasound53 files. That is puzzling to me about why
    they are different and why the one I got before is different from the
    one at your link.

    --
    Mike Easter | http://www.verifiedvoting.org
    Voter-Verified Paper Trail for 2004 Elections
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

    > On top of that; I have another problem.
    >
    > If I remove the Realtek AC97 from the System devices so as to install
    > using the setup from the new viasound53 I can't do it for 2 reasons.
    > Well, 3 reasons, I guess.
    >
    > First, I cannot keep Win from installing the Realtek if I reboot, even
    > if I disable PnP in the bios. I never have an option to cancel the
    > install of the new hardware. Win sez it finds the new hardware and
    > installs the drivers, I have no cancel or choose a folder for drivers or
    > anything else. It is a done deal.

    Mike,
    I think what is happening is that win98 is using the Realtek driver
    INF file, so automatically puts the driver back in without asking.
    Look for "C:/windows/inf/other" directory and in there hopefully you will
    find an .INF file that refers to the Realtek (the files readable with
    notepad) MOVE the file to another directory and reboot and then Windows
    should then prompt for the sound drivers.

    Dave
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

    logized wrote:

    >> First, I cannot keep Win from installing the Realtek if I reboot,

    > Mike,
    > I think what is happening is that win98 is using the Realtek
    > driver INF file, so automatically puts the driver back in without
    > asking.
    > Look for "C:/windows/inf/other" directory and in there hopefully you
    > will find an .INF file that refers to the Realtek (the files readable
    > with notepad) MOVE the file to another directory and reboot and then
    > Windows should then prompt for the sound drivers.

    Thanks again for hanging in here with me.

    The audio .inf files in there are named:

    VIA Technologies, Inc.VIAUDOEM.INF
    VIA Technologies, Inc.viaudios.inf

    I've moved them to another folder, but I get all the same results as
    described before. I think I'm going to have to find out how to fix
    something in the registry.

    I found the page I mistakenly got the Realtek drivers from, whose name
    is also viasound53.exe, it is at
    http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/driver/dvr/spt_dvr_detail.php?UID=
    386 - which is for the K7T266 Pro2-U instead of the K7T266 Pro2-A which
    is at
    http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/driver/dvr/spt_dvr_detail.php?UID=
    320

    According to system devices the Realtek drivers are:

    ALCXWDM.SYS - S32\DR
    VMM32.VXD (ntkem.vxd)
    MMDEVLDR.VXD
    RTLCPAPI.DLL
    AUDIO3D.DLL
    CRLDS3D.DLL
    ALCXSENS.SYS - S32\DR
    RTLCPL.EXE
    ALSNDMGR.WAV
    ALSNDMGR.CPL
    SOUNDMAN.EXE - W:

    where the 2 'S32\DR' ones are in Windows\System32\Drivers and the 'W:'
    one is in Windows and all of the rest are in Windows\System.

    --
    Mike Easter | http://www.verifiedvoting.org
    Voter-Verified Paper Trail for 2004 Elections
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

    > logized wrote:
    >
    > >> First, I cannot keep Win from installing the Realtek if I reboot,
    >
    > > Mike,
    > > I think what is happening is that win98 is using the Realtek
    > > driver INF file, so automatically puts the driver back in without
    > > asking.
    > > Look for "C:/windows/inf/other" directory and in there hopefully you
    > > will find an .INF file that refers to the Realtek (the files readable
    > > with notepad) MOVE the file to another directory and reboot and then
    > > Windows should then prompt for the sound drivers.
    >
    > Thanks again for hanging in here with me.
    >
    > The audio .inf files in there are named:
    >
    > VIA Technologies, Inc.VIAUDOEM.INF
    > VIA Technologies, Inc.viaudios.inf
    >
    > I've moved them to another folder, but I get all the same results as
    > described before. I think I'm going to have to find out how to fix
    > something in the registry.
    >

    > I found the page I mistakenly got the Realtek drivers from, whose name
    > is also viasound53.exe, it is at
    > http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/driver/dvr/spt_dvr_detail.php?UID=
    > 386 - which is for the K7T266 Pro2-U instead of the K7T266 Pro2-A which
    > is at
    > http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/driver/dvr/spt_dvr_detail.php?UID=
    > 320
    >
    > According to system devices the Realtek drivers are:
    >
    > ALCXWDM.SYS - S32\DR
    > VMM32.VXD (ntkem.vxd)
    > MMDEVLDR.VXD
    > RTLCPAPI.DLL
    > AUDIO3D.DLL
    > CRLDS3D.DLL
    > ALCXSENS.SYS - S32\DR
    > RTLCPL.EXE
    > ALSNDMGR.WAV
    > ALSNDMGR.CPL
    > SOUNDMAN.EXE - W:
    >
    > where the 2 'S32\DR' ones are in Windows\System32\Drivers and the 'W:'
    > one is in Windows and all of the rest are in Windows\System.
    >
    > --
    > Mike Easter | http://www.verifiedvoting.org
    > Voter-Verified Paper Trail for 2004 Elections

    Mike,
    According to the Realtek website, you can remove everything from
    control panel "add/remove programs" it is listed as "Realtek ac97 drivers
    and applications"
    http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/ac97readme.pdf

    Dave
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

    logized wrote:
    > According to the Realtek website, you can remove everything
    > from control panel "add/remove programs" it is listed as "Realtek
    > ac97 drivers and applications"
    > http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/ac97readme.pdf

    ooh, a Realtek readme. Thanks.

    The current situation...

    I have successfully removed the Realtek drivers. I have installed the
    'latest' Via 4in1 drivers according to my decision to use the latest
    non-Hyperion ones. The MSI disk contained v.4.4.2 Via non-Hyperion and
    the Via site has 4.4.3 non-Hyperion, along with language saying that
    some Win9x users preferred the non-Hyperion. Hyperion 4in1s are now at
    4.5.1. The drivers at my board's section at msi.com.tw are the Hyperion
    4.51/s.

    I have installed the Via AC97 drivers which were available at
    msi.com.tw, which wasn't easy. The setup program still 'insisted' that
    the AC97 wasn't enabled, which it is, so it wasn't possible to use
    setup.exe. So, I installed using the Win install wizard and pointing it
    at the folder containing the WDM drivers for the Via setup..

    The problem is that sound still doesn't work. The conditions are the
    same, I can see a .wav file playing in MS Recorder, but no sound comes
    from the lineout speakers. The mobo configurations are that there are
    jumpers on the mobo for front panel audio - ie absent front panel audio,
    2 pairs need to be jumpered, which are. The BIOS is AC97 enabled. The
    system devices now say Via Enhanced Audio Controller (WDM) with no
    conflicts. There were alternate .inf choices in the WDM folder, 2 pairs
    of identicals. I chose enhanced as above over Via Audio Controller, but
    there were no istructions as to what .inf file would be the best
    choice... the whole thing was designed around the setup.exe, which
    doesn't work right.

    I guess my next step is using a sound card.

    --
    Mike Easter | http://www.verifiedvoting.org
    Voter-Verified Paper Trail for 2004 Elections

MSI-Microstar Motherboards