Clark

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

I have 3 machines that have been in use on a win2k network for
approximately 18 months. Suddenly 1 machine started to rebooting when
accessing network shares. The problem just appeared from nowhere.
After reducing the clock speed from 133 to 100 mhz, the problem
dispated slightly. Now several weeks later all 3 machines are
duplicating the same problem. As soon as u begin to copy files from
the local machine to a win2k network share, the local machine will
reboot suddenly. No changes have occurred to the network to provoke
this response.

Trouble shooting has involved, changing pci slots w/ the network card,
uninstalling the ACPI Management Console from windows and letting all
the devices be found again. This fixed it for about 15 minutes and 2
reboots. Now the trouble is right back again.

There are 4 other types of machines on the network but none are having
this problem.

Can Any One Help...

Clark wrote:

> There are 4 other types of machines on the network but none are having
> this problem.
>
> Can Any One Help...

Might be your PSU (power supply unit) is the culprit you might need to
get a more powerful one. A good one would have this spec 450W range
with 30A on +3.3V and 22A on +12V.

If its not your PSU then there must be a conflict somewhere in the Bios
or the O/S.

HTH.

--
Regards
Dan.

On 13 Jun 2004 17:37:07 -0700, just1_4u@hotmail.com (Clark) wrote:

>I have 3 machines that have been in use on a win2k network for
>approximately 18 months. Suddenly 1 machine started to rebooting when
>accessing network shares. The problem just appeared from nowhere.
>After reducing the clock speed from 133 to 100 mhz, the problem
>dispated slightly. Now several weeks later all 3 machines are
>duplicating the same problem. As soon as u begin to copy files from
>the local machine to a win2k network share, the local machine will
>reboot suddenly. No changes have occurred to the network to provoke
>this response.
>
>Trouble shooting has involved, changing pci slots w/ the network card,
>uninstalling the ACPI Management Console from windows and letting all
>the devices be found again. This fixed it for about 15 minutes and 2
>reboots. Now the trouble is right back again.
>
>There are 4 other types of machines on the network but none are having
>this problem.
>
>Can Any One Help...

I have 2 machines on a home network and have the exact same problem
with 1 of them. It has progressed to the point of rebooting just after
Windows finishes loading, every time.
I have tried replacing "everything" except the mother board.
I have changed the power supply, CPU, memory, video card, network
card, removed all other cards and drives, replaced the hard drive and
loaded it with Windows Me, (I was running XP pro) Flashed the bios,
and changed all the ACPI settings I could find to no avail.

I have come to the conclusion that the Mo-Bo is dying.

If anyone else has any other suggestions, I'm all ears!

Good Luck.

No solution I'm afraid, just another victim :?

My system has a MSI 6309 ver 1.1 motherboard.
It started doing spontaneous reboots about two weeks ago after my
holidays. The reboots happen both in Windows 2000 and Debian Linux.
Before that, the system ran stable for at least a year (the mobo was
replaced at about that time).
At first, the system would boot normally but reboot while I was
working. A week later, I can't get it to complete a boot at all.
Only BIOS setup and memtest will run stable.

Memtest86 shows no problems with my 512 MB RAM.
Removing PCI cards (SBLive, D-Link 10/100 Ethernet and ISDN) and
disconnecting IDE drives (I have 2 HD's, one DVD and one CD-RW) makes
no difference at all.

If I look at the voltages in BIOS Setup, only the 12V is a touch low
(11.8), but I don't think that's enough to cause these problems.
Temps are normal (CPU at < 40 Celsius).

Seeing the previous two posts, I think I will replace the mobo :(