  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
June 17, 2004 5:43:51 PM

LOS ANGELES, June 1 (Reuters) - Micro-Star International Co. Ltd. (2377.TW:
Quote, Profile, Research) , one of the world's top makers of computer
motherboards, has been sued by a Vermont company seeking class-action status
over claims that MSI's boards use a defective technology and are prone to
fail.
The suit, filed in Los Angeles Superior Court last Thursday by Electronic
Connection Services Corp., a hardware and software services company, claims
that MSI has knowingly used capacitors, devices used to regulate the power
supply to microchips, that can leak and cause motherboards to short-circuit.

A spokesman for MSI in Taiwan could not be immediately reached for comment.

In its lawsuit, Electronic Connection Services said that MSI has known for
years that its capacitors were made with an improperly-formulated
electrolyte solution and that they are prone to leak or even explode.

"The motherboards are of such a low quality and are so defective that MSI
knows they consistently fail and that consumers may lose massive amounts of
information, time and money upon the failure of each motherboard," the suit
said.

The lawsuit cited industry magazines reporting as far back as late 2002 that
manufacturers were having problems with motherboards from a number of
companies that exhibited problems with leaky or exploding capacitors.

The suit, which seeks to cover any person or company in the United States
who has made a wholesale or retail purchase of an MSI motherboard since
1999, seeks unspecified damages and restitution and other relief.

It was not immediately clear how large that proposed class would be. The
attorney for Electronic Connection Services was not immediately available to
comment.

Is this true or has MSI fixed this problem on the newer boards, I am
planning on buying A K8N Neo Platinum for my A64.Please Post

More about : msi boards bad capacitors

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 18, 2004 1:31:50 AM

Never has a cap problem on one of my 3 MSI motherboards. Sounds like a BS
lawsuit to me.

"Miller1236" <Miller1236@comcast.net> wrote in message
> LOS ANGELES, June 1 (Reuters) - Micro-Star International Co. Ltd.
(2377.TW:
> Quote, Profile, Research) , one of the world's top makers of computer
> motherboards, has been sued by a Vermont company seeking class-action
status
> over claims that MSI's boards use a defective technology and are prone to
> fail.
> The suit, filed in Los Angeles Superior Court last Thursday by Electronic
> Connection Services Corp., a hardware and software services company,
claims
> that MSI has knowingly used capacitors, devices used to regulate the power
> supply to microchips, that can leak and cause motherboards to
short-circuit.

> A spokesman for MSI in Taiwan could not be immediately reached for
comment.

> In its lawsuit, Electronic Connection Services said that MSI has known for
> years that its capacitors were made with an improperly-formulated
> electrolyte solution and that they are prone to leak or even explode.
>
> "The motherboards are of such a low quality and are so defective that MSI
> knows they consistently fail and that consumers may lose massive amounts
of
> information, time and money upon the failure of each motherboard," the
suit
> said.
>
> The lawsuit cited industry magazines reporting as far back as late 2002
that
> manufacturers were having problems with motherboards from a number of
> companies that exhibited problems with leaky or exploding capacitors.
>
> The suit, which seeks to cover any person or company in the United States
> who has made a wholesale or retail purchase of an MSI motherboard since
> 1999, seeks unspecified damages and restitution and other relief.
>
> It was not immediately clear how large that proposed class would be. The
> attorney for Electronic Connection Services was not immediately available
> comment.
>
> Is this true or has MSI fixed this problem on the newer boards, I am
> planning on buying A K8N Neo Platinum for my A64.Please Post

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 18, 2004 1:31:51 AM

Well I have had 3 replacements and the 3rd is sitting dead on my parts shelf
again from a bad cap near the CPU socket.
Even though it was an ongoing problem and they were aware of the problem
,they will not replace it as I an NOW out of warranty. How convenient for
them.

I for one will watch this lawsuit if no more than to see them get boned in
the ass as they do to their customers!

"Philburg2" <philburg2@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> Never has a cap problem on one of my 3 MSI motherboards. Sounds like a BS
> lawsuit to me.
>
> "Miller1236" <Miller1236@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > LOS ANGELES, June 1 (Reuters) - Micro-Star International Co. Ltd.
> (2377.TW:
> > Quote, Profile, Research) , one of the world's top makers of computer
> > motherboards, has been sued by a Vermont company seeking class-action
> status
> > over claims that MSI's boards use a defective technology and are prone
> > fail.
> > The suit, filed in Los Angeles Superior Court last Thursday by
Electronic
> > Connection Services Corp., a hardware and software services company,
> claims
> > that MSI has knowingly used capacitors, devices used to regulate the
power
> > supply to microchips, that can leak and cause motherboards to
> short-circuit.
> >
> > A spokesman for MSI in Taiwan could not be immediately reached for
> comment.
> >
> > In its lawsuit, Electronic Connection Services said that MSI has known
for
> > years that its capacitors were made with an improperly-formulated
> > electrolyte solution and that they are prone to leak or even explode.
> >
> > "The motherboards are of such a low quality and are so defective that
MSI
> > knows they consistently fail and that consumers may lose massive amounts
> of
> > information, time and money upon the failure of each motherboard," the
> suit
> > said.
> >
> > The lawsuit cited industry magazines reporting as far back as late 2002
> that
> > manufacturers were having problems with motherboards from a number of
> > companies that exhibited problems with leaky or exploding capacitors.
> >
> > The suit, which seeks to cover any person or company in the United
States
> > who has made a wholesale or retail purchase of an MSI motherboard since
> > 1999, seeks unspecified damages and restitution and other relief.
> >
> > It was not immediately clear how large that proposed class would be. The
> > attorney for Electronic Connection Services was not immediately
available
> > comment.
> >
> > Is this true or has MSI fixed this problem on the newer boards, I am
> > planning on buying A K8N Neo Platinum for my A64.Please Post

Related resources
June 18, 2004 2:42:42 AM

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 13:43:51 -0500, "Miller1236"
<Miller1236@comcast.net> wrote:

>LOS ANGELES, June 1 (Reuters) - Micro-Star International Co. Ltd. (2377.TW:
>Quote, Profile, Research) , one of the world's top makers of computer
>motherboards, has been sued by a Vermont company seeking class-action status
>over claims that MSI's boards use a defective technology and are prone to
>fail.
>The suit, filed in Los Angeles Superior Court last Thursday by Electronic
>Connection Services Corp., a hardware and software services company, claims
>that MSI has knowingly used capacitors, devices used to regulate the power
>supply to microchips, that can leak and cause motherboards to short-circuit.
>
>A spokesman for MSI in Taiwan could not be immediately reached for comment.
>
>In its lawsuit, Electronic Connection Services said that MSI has known for
>years that its capacitors were made with an improperly-formulated
>electrolyte solution and that they are prone to leak or even explode.
>
>"The motherboards are of such a low quality and are so defective that MSI
>knows they consistently fail and that consumers may lose massive amounts of
>information, time and money upon the failure of each motherboard," the suit
>said.
>
>The lawsuit cited industry magazines reporting as far back as late 2002 that
>manufacturers were having problems with motherboards from a number of
>companies that exhibited problems with leaky or exploding capacitors.
>
>The suit, which seeks to cover any person or company in the United States
>who has made a wholesale or retail purchase of an MSI motherboard since
>1999, seeks unspecified damages and restitution and other relief.
>
>It was not immediately clear how large that proposed class would be. The
>attorney for Electronic Connection Services was not immediately available to
>comment.
>
>Is this true or has MSI fixed this problem on the newer boards, I am
>planning on buying A K8N Neo Platinum for my A64.Please Post

I won't buy any more MSI. My MS-6337 after about 18 months, began
rebooting without warning & general crashes. I assumed it was a
windows software issue ... I wasted so much time with reinstalls,
reformat, memory swap, etc. Finally, I took a closer look at the
motherboard. Had 3 swollen caps. First time I ever had to replace a
motherboard (except for voluntary upgrades). Big problem, not just
with MSI.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 18, 2004 2:45:27 AM

..

> Is this true or has MSI fixed this problem on the newer boards, I am
> planning on buying A K8N Neo Platinum for my A64.Please Post

I had an ABit KT7 Raid board fail due to leaking Capacitors. I found the
story on the web that apparently a few years ago, some manufacturers
switched to buying capacitors from a new, cheaper supplier.
The capacitors were usually a light green colour and were special because
they were physically small, high performance types.
The formula for the electrolyte was wrong, causing it to react with the
metal. Board manufacturers denied liability, blaming the capacitor
manufacturer, and there were accusations of industrial espionage regarding
the electrolyte formula also.
I replaced my ABit board with an MSI and it is still ok, so hopefully they
have now all fixed the problem.

Dave
June 18, 2004 4:26:19 AM

I had a MSI with VIA 400 chip set and it had bad capacitors right out of the
box.
Retuned the MSI VIA 400 board for a MSI Nvidia 400U and so far the only
problems have been with the PSU.
Replaced the PSU and no problems. It appears the the Nvidia board draws
alot more 12V power while the VIA board uses the 3V and 5V lines. I don't
know if this the voltage draw makes any difference on the capacitors but it
might be worth looking into.

"Miller1236" <Miller1236@comcast.net> wrote in message
> LOS ANGELES, June 1 (Reuters) - Micro-Star International Co. Ltd.
(2377.TW:
> Quote, Profile, Research) , one of the world's top makers of computer
> motherboards, has been sued by a Vermont company seeking class-action
status
> over claims that MSI's boards use a defective technology and are prone to
> fail.
> The suit, filed in Los Angeles Superior Court last Thursday by Electronic
> Connection Services Corp., a hardware and software services company,
claims
> that MSI has knowingly used capacitors, devices used to regulate the power
> supply to microchips, that can leak and cause motherboards to
short-circuit.

> A spokesman for MSI in Taiwan could not be immediately reached for
comment.

> In its lawsuit, Electronic Connection Services said that MSI has known for
> years that its capacitors were made with an improperly-formulated
> electrolyte solution and that they are prone to leak or even explode.
>
> "The motherboards are of such a low quality and are so defective that MSI
> knows they consistently fail and that consumers may lose massive amounts
of
> information, time and money upon the failure of each motherboard," the
suit
> said.
>
> The lawsuit cited industry magazines reporting as far back as late 2002
that
> manufacturers were having problems with motherboards from a number of
> companies that exhibited problems with leaky or exploding capacitors.
>
> The suit, which seeks to cover any person or company in the United States
> who has made a wholesale or retail purchase of an MSI motherboard since
> 1999, seeks unspecified damages and restitution and other relief.
>
> It was not immediately clear how large that proposed class would be. The
> attorney for Electronic Connection Services was not immediately available
> comment.
>
> Is this true or has MSI fixed this problem on the newer boards, I am
> planning on buying A K8N Neo Platinum for my A64.Please Post

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 18, 2004 4:26:20 AM

The caps typically failing on motherboards I beleive are 1000 uF 10
Volt radial leaded aluminum ESR electrolytic polarized filter caps.
Most I have seen with this failure were vendor marked TAYEH.
Most boards have from 8-12 of them around the regulators. If they
show any signs of leakage or swelling they can easily be replaced by
anyone with the most rudementary soldering skilz. However, if they
blow they typically short and take out the regulators with them. Can
you say "toast"?

For the real story and a bit of industrial espionage factoids look here.

http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/WEBONLY/resource/feb03/nca...

This problem with bad formulated cap electrolytes has been around
for a couple years and extends across a wide range of device values.
Many of the applications are considered "mission critical". It continues
to surface as the caps are purged and resold back through the suppy
chain, then fed up again through distribution as well as when old
unpurged stock is pulled and used.

--
><{{ MudFish (Co30){('>
www.Co30.com
"Careful with that Axe Eugene."

"Rusty" <rlsmith004@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> > said.
> >
> > The lawsuit cited industry magazines reporting as far back as late 2002
> that
> > manufacturers were having problems with motherboards from a number of
> > companies that exhibited problems with leaky or exploding capacitors.
> >
> > The suit, which seeks to cover any person or company in the United
States
> > who has made a wholesale or retail purchase of an MSI motherboard since
> > 1999, seeks unspecified damages and restitution and other relief.
> >
> > It was not immediately clear how large that proposed class would be. The
> > attorney for Electronic Connection Services was not immediately
available
> > comment.
> >
> > Is this true or has MSI fixed this problem on the newer boards, I am
> > planning on buying A K8N Neo Platinum for my A64.Please Post

June 18, 2004 4:39:31 AM

> Never has a cap problem on one of my 3 MSI motherboards. Sounds like a BS
> lawsuit to me.

Three motherboards doesn't make a good sample.

Tom Lake
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 18, 2004 10:28:09 AM

"Tom Lake" <tlake@twcny.rr.com> wrote in message
> > Never has a cap problem on one of my 3 MSI motherboards. Sounds like a
BS
> > lawsuit to me.
>
> Three motherboards doesn't make a good sample.

Well my experience has been the opposite with 3 bad boards.
4 MSI boards I have owned, 3 failed with blown cap near CPU! Makes for a
damn good sample in my book.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 18, 2004 1:25:14 PM

"Philburg2" <philburg2@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> Never has a cap problem on one of my 3 MSI motherboards. Sounds like a BS
> lawsuit to me.

It's not BS.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 18, 2004 2:17:33 PM

Philburg2 wrote:

> Never has a cap problem on one of my 3 MSI motherboards. Sounds like a BS
> lawsuit to me.
>
> "Miller1236" <Miller1236@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > LOS ANGELES, June 1 (Reuters) - Micro-Star International Co. Ltd.
> (2377.TW:
> > Quote, Profile, Research) , one of the world's top makers of computer
> > motherboards, has been sued by a Vermont company seeking class-action
> status
> > over claims that MSI's boards use a defective technology and are prone to
> > fail.
> > The suit, filed in Los Angeles Superior Court last Thursday by Electronic
> > Connection Services Corp., a hardware and software services company,
> claims
> > that MSI has knowingly used capacitors, devices used to regulate the power
> > supply to microchips, that can leak and cause motherboards to
> short-circuit.
> >
> > A spokesman for MSI in Taiwan could not be immediately reached for
> comment.
> >
> > In its lawsuit, Electronic Connection Services said that MSI has known for
> > years that its capacitors were made with an improperly-formulated
> > electrolyte solution and that they are prone to leak or even explode.
> >
> > "The motherboards are of such a low quality and are so defective that MSI
> > knows they consistently fail and that consumers may lose massive amounts
> of
> > information, time and money upon the failure of each motherboard," the
> suit
> > said.
> >
> > The lawsuit cited industry magazines reporting as far back as late 2002
> that
> > manufacturers were having problems with motherboards from a number of
> > companies that exhibited problems with leaky or exploding capacitors.
> >
> > The suit, which seeks to cover any person or company in the United States
> > who has made a wholesale or retail purchase of an MSI motherboard since
> > 1999, seeks unspecified damages and restitution and other relief.
> >
> > It was not immediately clear how large that proposed class would be. The
> > attorney for Electronic Connection Services was not immediately available
> > comment.
> >
> > Is this true or has MSI fixed this problem on the newer boards, I am
> > planning on buying A K8N Neo Platinum for my A64.Please Post

I bought 2 MSI K7N2 Delta-L last May. Serial numbers were only off by 1 so there were from
the same batch.
One was DOA right out of the box. Second one was fine. Got first replaced by dealer but
still a pain in the ass.
--
Jethro[AGHL] aka Phat_Pinger
Reply Email: jeff (at) tibben (dot) ca

logized wrote:

> I replaced my ABit board with an MSI and it is still ok, so hopefully they
> have now all fixed the problem.

I was told by a MSI themselves that the capacitor problems are in the
past and they use a different supplier for the capacitors now.

--
Regards
Dan.

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 13:43:51 -0500, "Miller1236"
<Miller1236@comcast.net> wrote:

| LOS ANGELES, June 1 (Reuters) - Micro-Star International Co. Ltd. (2377.TW:
| Quote, Profile, Research) , one of the world's top makers of computer
| motherboards, has been sued by a Vermont company seeking class-action status
| over claims that MSI's boards use a defective technology and are prone to
| fail.

[snip]

Does anybody know which motherboard manufacturers definitely DID NOT
use any of the faulty capacitors? Or any who definitely aren't using
them now? I'm thinking of replacing an MSI board and don't want that
worry.

TIA!

Larc

a b V Motherboard
June 19, 2004 12:42:22 AM

"Larc" <larc-news@jupiterlink.net> wrote in message
> On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 13:43:51 -0500, "Miller1236"
> <Miller1236@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> | LOS ANGELES, June 1 (Reuters) - Micro-Star International Co. Ltd.
(2377.TW:
> | Quote, Profile, Research) , one of the world's top makers of computer
> | motherboards, has been sued by a Vermont company seeking class-action
status
> | over claims that MSI's boards use a defective technology and are prone
> | fail.
>
> [snip]
>
> Does anybody know which motherboard manufacturers definitely DID NOT
> use any of the faulty capacitors? Or any who definitely aren't using
> them now? I'm thinking of replacing an MSI board and don't want that
> worry.

While I can not offer any informed information on whether they used these
caps, I can tell you I have never had any problems with my Asus or Aopen
boards.
June 19, 2004 5:21:37 AM

My K7T266 has been running 24/7 for over a year with no problems. Must be a
problem with newer boards.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 19, 2004 8:53:39 PM

I've only rarely NOT had some sort of an MSI mobo in my computer, and
I've never had a problem with them.

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 21:31:50 UTC, "Philburg2"

--
Bill
(Please remove "no-spam" from address when replying)

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 20:42:22 -0400, "PC Medic" <NOT@home.net> wrote:

>"Larc" <larc-news@jupiterlink.net> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 13:43:51 -0500, "Miller1236"
>> <Miller1236@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>> | LOS ANGELES, June 1 (Reuters) - Micro-Star International Co. Ltd.
>(2377.TW:
>> | Quote, Profile, Research) , one of the world's top makers of computer
>> | motherboards, has been sued by a Vermont company seeking class-action
>status
>> | over claims that MSI's boards use a defective technology and are prone
>> | fail.
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>> Does anybody know which motherboard manufacturers definitely DID NOT
>> use any of the faulty capacitors? Or any who definitely aren't using
>> them now? I'm thinking of replacing an MSI board and don't want that
>> worry.
>>

>While I can not offer any informed information on whether they used these
>caps, I can tell you I have never had any problems with my Asus or Aopen
>boards.

Asus and Aopen both had the same issues. I saw 4 Aopen Ak73Pro boards
with bad caps and some Asus A7v 133's as well. Lets not forget Abit.
They had plenty too.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 20, 2004 5:43:13 PM

"RVi" <none@none.com> wrote in message news:2jer08F10do9fU2@uni-berlin.de...
> logized wrote:
>
> > I replaced my ABit board with an MSI and it is still ok, so hopefully
they
> > have now all fixed the problem.
>
> I was told by a MSI themselves that the capacitor problems are in the
> past and they use a different supplier for the capacitors now.

I was told by MSI that they never had this problem with any of their boards.

ABit now uses Japanese caps from a quality company (as do most of the board
makers now)
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 20, 2004 5:46:35 PM

"Larc" <larc-news@jupiterlink.net> wrote in message
> On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 13:43:51 -0500, "Miller1236"
> <Miller1236@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> | LOS ANGELES, June 1 (Reuters) - Micro-Star International Co. Ltd.
(2377.TW:
> | Quote, Profile, Research) , one of the world's top makers of computer
> | motherboards, has been sued by a Vermont company seeking class-action
status
> | over claims that MSI's boards use a defective technology and are prone
> | fail.
>
> [snip]
>
> Does anybody know which motherboard manufacturers definitely DID NOT
> use any of the faulty capacitors? Or any who definitely aren't using
> them now? I'm thinking of replacing an MSI board and don't want that
> worry.
>
> TIA!
>
> Larc

You'll not find this "Same" problem with current motherboards..
Most of the companys moved as soon as they could. But the problem was fixed
a long time ago (in electronics time)
so if your buying something that's maybee 1 or even up to 2 years old then
the problem shouldnt be there
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 20, 2004 5:46:36 PM

"rstlne" <.@text.news.virgin.net> wrote in message
news:D ugBc.187$G06.113@newsfe1-gui.server.ntli.net...

> "Larc" <larc-news@jupiterlink.net> wrote in message
> > On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 13:43:51 -0500, "Miller1236"
> > <Miller1236@comcast.net> wrote:
> >
> > | LOS ANGELES, June 1 (Reuters) - Micro-Star International Co. Ltd.
> (2377.TW:
> > | Quote, Profile, Research) , one of the world's top makers of computer
> > | motherboards, has been sued by a Vermont company seeking class-action
> status
> > | over claims that MSI's boards use a defective technology and are
prone
> > | fail.
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> > Does anybody know which motherboard manufacturers definitely DID NOT
> > use any of the faulty capacitors? Or any who definitely aren't using
> > them now? I'm thinking of replacing an MSI board and don't want that
> > worry.
> >
> > TIA!
> >
> > Larc
>

> You'll not find this "Same" problem with current motherboards..
> Most of the companys moved as soon as they could. But the problem was
fixed
> a long time ago (in electronics time)
> so if your buying something that's maybee 1 or even up to 2 years old then
> the problem shouldnt be there

Well considering this was a Major issue in 2000-2001 I do not see how buying
older vs. newer board is going to help???
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 20, 2004 5:47:53 PM

<johnny@n0sq.net> wrote in message
> My K7T266 has been running 24/7 for over a year with no problems. Must be
> problem with newer boards.

No, your board was probably produced after they changed suppliers..
My board worked flawless for damn near 11 months before it went
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 20, 2004 6:38:05 PM

> > You'll not find this "Same" problem with current motherboards..
> > Most of the companys moved as soon as they could. But the problem was
> fixed
> > a long time ago (in electronics time)
> > so if your buying something that's maybee 1 or even up to 2 years old
then
> > the problem shouldnt be there
> >
> Well considering this was a Major issue in 2000-2001 I do not see how
buying
> older vs. newer board is going to help???

I was just meaning that if the poster buys something made in the past couple
of years (made in) then they shouldnt need to worry about this fault being
there.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 21, 2004 2:51:37 AM

rstlne wrote:

> I was told by MSI that they never had this problem with any of their board
s.

You have been misinformed even MSI have their own website forum and
plenty of questions have been asked and answered about the capacitor
problems.

> ABit now uses Japanese caps from a quality company (as do most of the board
> makers now)

MSI did the same thing. Majority of motherboard manufactures moved to a
different supplier after this fiasco.

--
Regards
Dan.

"RVi" <none@none.com> wrote in message news:2jlfgmF12e3sgU1@uni-berlin.de...
> rstlne wrote:
>

> > I was told by MSI that they never had this problem with any of their
board
> s.
>
> You have been misinformed even MSI have their own website forum and
> plenty of questions have been asked and answered about the capacitor
> problems.

MSI's website forum is not ran by MSI. It's ran by people who get discounts
on kit.
I was informed DIRECTLY by MSI over the phone that this WAS NOT an issue
with any of their products. They made the same reply's to many other "tech
sites" when the question was first brought forward.

They also say they have a 3 year warranty on their motherboards but in the
UK the warranty is void (because they dont have "or did not have" a rma
system).

Yes, I was misinformed but I was misinformed by MSI
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 21, 2004 6:40:53 PM

1 of 10 replaced for CAP problem. But it was not a bad CAP, it was a bad
cold solder joint at the CAP that worked lose. Replacement was swift
with no troubles at all.
June 22, 2004 4:19:35 PM

rstlne wrote:

> "RVi" <none@none.com> wrote in message
>> rstlne wrote:
>>

>> > I was told by MSI that they never had this problem with any of their
> board
>> s.
>>
>> You have been misinformed even MSI have their own website forum and
>> plenty of questions have been asked and answered about the capacitor
>> problems.
>>

> MSI's website forum is not ran by MSI. It's ran by people who get
> discounts on kit.
> I was informed DIRECTLY by MSI over the phone that this WAS NOT an issue
> with any of their products. They made the same reply's to many other
> "tech sites" when the question was first brought forward.
>
> They also say they have a 3 year warranty on their motherboards but in the
> UK the warranty is void (because they dont have "or did not have" a rma
> system).
>
> Yes, I was misinformed but I was misinformed by MSI
I called MSI Netherlands and they send me capacitors for some bords.
Do you believe that they do this free !
They know about the problems with capacitors !!! but they refused to repair
my boards K7T series and send capacitors for free so i can do it by myself.

Michel
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 26, 2004 10:05:31 AM

I can definitely confirm that MSI boards are affected. My 815E Pro
(MS-6337) board recently started failing with all the classic
symptoms. I checked the board and replaced two TAYEH 1500uF, 10V
electro's which were obviously leaking and bulged and the board then
appeared to be okay. Only a week after replacing these two caps the
machine started playing up again. This time I ordered in sufficient
caps to replace all the TAYEH caps on the board.

==============
a b V Motherboard
July 29, 2004 11:07:38 AM

Yes, the heat and wiggle technique does work when the capacitors are
separated or there is nothing mounted hard against them, and I have
used it myself. However, when you have a bank of 8 identical
capacitors slammed hard against one another in a 4 x 2 arrangement,
as well as other large components within a millimeter or two, it is
difficult to "wiggle in both directions while heating" as you need to
do to ease each terminal wire out a bit at a time. Also, it requires
that you balance the board in some manner while lining up the
soldering iron on the correct pin on one side of the board while
making sure you are wiggling the right capacitor on the other side.
Hardly what I would call a "high reliability" soldering technique for
multi-layer high density boards. It seems reasonable that if you have
a de-soldering station then you should use it. Of course if you
haven't got such a tool then you have to make do with what you have,
and make sure you do it very slowly and carefully. I have seen some
through holes really butchered by inexperienced people thus requiring
the use of through hole rivets to repair the damage. Hopefully the
ground and voltage rails are always on the outer layers.

==============
a b V Motherboard
August 4, 2004 9:07:12 AM

Interesting......

Gateway used hundreds if not thousands of msi 6312 boards for their

"Essential Series" desktops. These were cute little desktops that
sold for $1600 to $2000.00.

I personally know of 13 machines that died because of failures on that
motherboard. I know exactly which chip you are talking about.

Keep me posted on Law suit !!!!!

==============
August 10, 2004 5:26:56 AM

PC Medic wrote:

> "rstlne" <.@text.news.virgin.net> wrote in message
> >
> > "RVi" <none@none.com> wrote in message
> > > logized wrote:
>

> I now use Asus exclusively in all our systems.

Heh.heh, ASUS! I bought one of their A7M266 motherboards a couple of
years ago. I didn't even have it a couple of weeks and the caps that
controll the fan ports on the motherboard went out. It is a good thing I
noticed something was wrong and turned off the computer right a way. The
AMD Athlon 1.400 cpu still works to this day, but the motherboard has
some minor problems. In all of the years I have been putting my own
computers together this was the first time I had problems with a
motherboard. I went to the ASUS news group and guess what... It is a
well known fact that ASUS was not using caps powerful enough to support
certain cpu cooling fans. This cap problem is not just a MSI thing. I
still consider this ASUS motherboard the worst I have ever had. I will
never buy another ASUS motherboard again!!!

jamess
August 10, 2004 5:28:45 AM

PC Medic wrote:

> While I can not offer any informed information on whether they used these
> caps, I can tell you I have never had any problems with my Asus or Aopen
> boards.

Can't say about Aopen but ASUS has had the reputation in the past for
using bad caps. Read my other post.

jamess
August 18, 2004 9:25:58 PM

"PC Medic" <NOT@home.net> wrote in

> "Larc" <larc-news@jupiterlink.net> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 13:43:51 -0500, "Miller1236"
>> <Miller1236@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>> | LOS ANGELES, June 1 (Reuters) - Micro-Star International Co. Ltd.
> (2377.TW:
>> | Quote, Profile, Research) , one of the world's top makers of
>> | computer motherboards, has been sued by a Vermont company seeking
>> | class-action
> status
>> | over claims that MSI's boards use a defective technology and are
>> | prone
>> | fail.
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>> Does anybody know which motherboard manufacturers definitely DID NOT
>> use any of the faulty capacitors? Or any who definitely aren't using
>> them now? I'm thinking of replacing an MSI board and don't want that
>> worry.
>>

> While I can not offer any informed information on whether they used
> these caps, I can tell you I have never had any problems with my Asus
> or Aopen boards.

I have just repaired my 2 years old AOpen AX34-U motherboard. It had 8
bulging and leaking capacitors 1500uF 6.3V 105°C (Lelon)and 3 2200uF 6.3V
105°C (kze). I have replaced it with 8 1500uF 16V 105°C (J.d) and 3
2200uF 16V 105°C (J.d). Everything works fine now.

Before the AOpen I had a Abit VH6-II motherboard. 14 month after purchase
nearly al the capacitors (Jackcon) were bulging and leaking. I just
trashed it and bought the AOpen.

Rob
September 17, 2004 5:54:51 PM

"rherber1" <rherber1@bigpond.net-dot-au.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> I can definitely confirm that MSI boards are affected. My 815E Pro
> (MS-6337) board recently started failing with all the classic
> symptoms. I checked the board and replaced two TAYEH 1500uF, 10V
> electro's which were obviously leaking and bulged and the board then
> appeared to be okay. Only a week after replacing these two caps the
> machine started playing up again. This time I ordered in sufficient
> caps to replace all the TAYEH caps on the board.

troubleshooting newsgroups.

Just done changing 21 capacitors on my MSI K7D, it is a real shame as my
ancient ASUS P2BDS still runs without any hitches while this newer
motherboard failed on me after two years of use.
!