MSI Boards have bad capacitors T/f

LOS ANGELES, June 1 (Reuters) - Micro-Star International Co. Ltd. (2377.TW:
Quote, Profile, Research) , one of the world's top makers of computer
motherboards, has been sued by a Vermont company seeking class-action status
over claims that MSI's boards use a defective technology and are prone to
fail.
The suit, filed in Los Angeles Superior Court last Thursday by Electronic
Connection Services Corp., a hardware and software services company, claims
that MSI has knowingly used capacitors, devices used to regulate the power
supply to microchips, that can leak and cause motherboards to short-circuit.

A spokesman for MSI in Taiwan could not be immediately reached for comment.

In its lawsuit, Electronic Connection Services said that MSI has known for
years that its capacitors were made with an improperly-formulated
electrolyte solution and that they are prone to leak or even explode.

"The motherboards are of such a low quality and are so defective that MSI
knows they consistently fail and that consumers may lose massive amounts of
information, time and money upon the failure of each motherboard," the suit
said.

The lawsuit cited industry magazines reporting as far back as late 2002 that
manufacturers were having problems with motherboards from a number of
companies that exhibited problems with leaky or exploding capacitors.

The suit, which seeks to cover any person or company in the United States
who has made a wholesale or retail purchase of an MSI motherboard since
1999, seeks unspecified damages and restitution and other relief.

It was not immediately clear how large that proposed class would be. The
attorney for Electronic Connection Services was not immediately available to
comment.

Is this true or has MSI fixed this problem on the newer boards, I am
planning on buying A K8N Neo Platinum for my A64.Please Post

Never has a cap problem on one of my 3 MSI motherboards. Sounds like a BS
lawsuit to me.

"Miller1236" <Miller1236@comcast.net> wrote in message
> LOS ANGELES, June 1 (Reuters) - Micro-Star International Co. Ltd.
(2377.TW:
> Quote, Profile, Research) , one of the world's top makers of computer
> motherboards, has been sued by a Vermont company seeking class-action
status
> over claims that MSI's boards use a defective technology and are prone to
> fail.
> The suit, filed in Los Angeles Superior Court last Thursday by Electronic
> Connection Services Corp., a hardware and software services company,
claims
> that MSI has knowingly used capacitors, devices used to regulate the power
> supply to microchips, that can leak and cause motherboards to
short-circuit.

> A spokesman for MSI in Taiwan could not be immediately reached for
comment.

> In its lawsuit, Electronic Connection Services said that MSI has known for
> years that its capacitors were made with an improperly-formulated
> electrolyte solution and that they are prone to leak or even explode.
>
> "The motherboards are of such a low quality and are so defective that MSI
> knows they consistently fail and that consumers may lose massive amounts
of
> information, time and money upon the failure of each motherboard," the
suit
> said.
>
> The lawsuit cited industry magazines reporting as far back as late 2002
that
> manufacturers were having problems with motherboards from a number of
> companies that exhibited problems with leaky or exploding capacitors.
>
> The suit, which seeks to cover any person or company in the United States
> who has made a wholesale or retail purchase of an MSI motherboard since
> 1999, seeks unspecified damages and restitution and other relief.
>
> It was not immediately clear how large that proposed class would be. The
> attorney for Electronic Connection Services was not immediately available
> comment.
>
> Is this true or has MSI fixed this problem on the newer boards, I am
> planning on buying A K8N Neo Platinum for my A64.Please Post

Well I have had 3 replacements and the 3rd is sitting dead on my parts shelf
again from a bad cap near the CPU socket.
Even though it was an ongoing problem and they were aware of the problem
,they will not replace it as I an NOW out of warranty. How convenient for
them.

I for one will watch this lawsuit if no more than to see them get boned in
the ass as they do to their customers!

"Philburg2" <philburg2@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> Never has a cap problem on one of my 3 MSI motherboards. Sounds like a BS
> lawsuit to me.
>
> "Miller1236" <Miller1236@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > LOS ANGELES, June 1 (Reuters) - Micro-Star International Co. Ltd.
> (2377.TW:
> > Quote, Profile, Research) , one of the world's top makers of computer
> > motherboards, has been sued by a Vermont company seeking class-action
> status
> > over claims that MSI's boards use a defective technology and are prone
> > fail.
> > The suit, filed in Los Angeles Superior Court last Thursday by
Electronic
> > Connection Services Corp., a hardware and software services company,
> claims
> > that MSI has knowingly used capacitors, devices used to regulate the
power
> > supply to microchips, that can leak and cause motherboards to
> short-circuit.
> >
> > A spokesman for MSI in Taiwan could not be immediately reached for
> comment.
> >
> > In its lawsuit, Electronic Connection Services said that MSI has known
for
> > years that its capacitors were made with an improperly-formulated
> > electrolyte solution and that they are prone to leak or even explode.
> >
> > "The motherboards are of such a low quality and are so defective that
MSI
> > knows they consistently fail and that consumers may lose massive amounts
> of
> > information, time and money upon the failure of each motherboard," the
> suit
> > said.
> >
> > The lawsuit cited industry magazines reporting as far back as late 2002
> that
> > manufacturers were having problems with motherboards from a number of
> > companies that exhibited problems with leaky or exploding capacitors.
> >
> > The suit, which seeks to cover any person or company in the United
States
> > who has made a wholesale or retail purchase of an MSI motherboard since
> > 1999, seeks unspecified damages and restitution and other relief.
> >
> > It was not immediately clear how large that proposed class would be. The
> > attorney for Electronic Connection Services was not immediately
available
> > comment.
> >
> > Is this true or has MSI fixed this problem on the newer boards, I am
> > planning on buying A K8N Neo Platinum for my A64.Please Post

Jim

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 13:43:51 -0500, "Miller1236"
<Miller1236@comcast.net> wrote:

>LOS ANGELES, June 1 (Reuters) - Micro-Star International Co. Ltd. (2377.TW:
>Quote, Profile, Research) , one of the world's top makers of computer
>motherboards, has been sued by a Vermont company seeking class-action status
>over claims that MSI's boards use a defective technology and are prone to
>fail.
>The suit, filed in Los Angeles Superior Court last Thursday by Electronic
>Connection Services Corp., a hardware and software services company, claims
>that MSI has knowingly used capacitors, devices used to regulate the power
>supply to microchips, that can leak and cause motherboards to short-circuit.
>
>A spokesman for MSI in Taiwan could not be immediately reached for comment.
>
>In its lawsuit, Electronic Connection Services said that MSI has known for
>years that its capacitors were made with an improperly-formulated
>electrolyte solution and that they are prone to leak or even explode.
>
>"The motherboards are of such a low quality and are so defective that MSI
>knows they consistently fail and that consumers may lose massive amounts of
>information, time and money upon the failure of each motherboard," the suit
>said.
>
>The lawsuit cited industry magazines reporting as far back as late 2002 that
>manufacturers were having problems with motherboards from a number of
>companies that exhibited problems with leaky or exploding capacitors.
>
>The suit, which seeks to cover any person or company in the United States
>who has made a wholesale or retail purchase of an MSI motherboard since
>1999, seeks unspecified damages and restitution and other relief.
>
>It was not immediately clear how large that proposed class would be. The
>attorney for Electronic Connection Services was not immediately available to
>comment.
>
>Is this true or has MSI fixed this problem on the newer boards, I am
>planning on buying A K8N Neo Platinum for my A64.Please Post

I won't buy any more MSI. My MS-6337 after about 18 months, began
rebooting without warning & general crashes. I assumed it was a
windows software issue ... I wasted so much time with reinstalls,
reformat, memory swap, etc. Finally, I took a closer look at the
motherboard. Had 3 swollen caps. First time I ever had to replace a
motherboard (except for voluntary upgrades). Big problem, not just
with MSI.

..

> Is this true or has MSI fixed this problem on the newer boards, I am
> planning on buying A K8N Neo Platinum for my A64.Please Post

I had an ABit KT7 Raid board fail due to leaking Capacitors. I found the
story on the web that apparently a few years ago, some manufacturers
switched to buying capacitors from a new, cheaper supplier.
The capacitors were usually a light green colour and were special because
they were physically small, high performance types.
The formula for the electrolyte was wrong, causing it to react with the
metal. Board manufacturers denied liability, blaming the capacitor
manufacturer, and there were accusations of industrial espionage regarding
the electrolyte formula also.
I replaced my ABit board with an MSI and it is still ok, so hopefully they
have now all fixed the problem.

Dave

Expert

I had a MSI with VIA 400 chip set and it had bad capacitors right out of the
box.
Retuned the MSI VIA 400 board for a MSI Nvidia 400U and so far the only
problems have been with the PSU.
Replaced the PSU and no problems. It appears the the Nvidia board draws
alot more 12V power while the VIA board uses the 3V and 5V lines. I don't
know if this the voltage draw makes any difference on the capacitors but it
might be worth looking into.

"Miller1236" <Miller1236@comcast.net> wrote in message
> LOS ANGELES, June 1 (Reuters) - Micro-Star International Co. Ltd.
(2377.TW:
> Quote, Profile, Research) , one of the world's top makers of computer
> motherboards, has been sued by a Vermont company seeking class-action
status
> over claims that MSI's boards use a defective technology and are prone to
> fail.
> The suit, filed in Los Angeles Superior Court last Thursday by Electronic
> Connection Services Corp., a hardware and software services company,
claims
> that MSI has knowingly used capacitors, devices used to regulate the power
> supply to microchips, that can leak and cause motherboards to
short-circuit.

> A spokesman for MSI in Taiwan could not be immediately reached for
comment.

> In its lawsuit, Electronic Connection Services said that MSI has known for
> years that its capacitors were made with an improperly-formulated
> electrolyte solution and that they are prone to leak or even explode.
>
> "The motherboards are of such a low quality and are so defective that MSI
> knows they consistently fail and that consumers may lose massive amounts
of
> information, time and money upon the failure of each motherboard," the
suit
> said.
>
> The lawsuit cited industry magazines reporting as far back as late 2002
that
> manufacturers were having problems with motherboards from a number of
> companies that exhibited problems with leaky or exploding capacitors.
>
> The suit, which seeks to cover any person or company in the United States
> who has made a wholesale or retail purchase of an MSI motherboard since
> 1999, seeks unspecified damages and restitution and other relief.
>
> It was not immediately clear how large that proposed class would be. The
> attorney for Electronic Connection Services was not immediately available
> comment.
>
> Is this true or has MSI fixed this problem on the newer boards, I am
> planning on buying A K8N Neo Platinum for my A64.Please Post

The caps typically failing on motherboards I beleive are 1000 uF 10
Volt radial leaded aluminum ESR electrolytic polarized filter caps.
Most I have seen with this failure were vendor marked TAYEH.
Most boards have from 8-12 of them around the regulators. If they
show any signs of leakage or swelling they can easily be replaced by
anyone with the most rudementary soldering skilz. However, if they
blow they typically short and take out the regulators with them. Can
you say "toast"?

For the real story and a bit of industrial espionage factoids look here.

http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/WEBONLY/resource/feb03/ncap.html

This problem with bad formulated cap electrolytes has been around
for a couple years and extends across a wide range of device values.
Many of the applications are considered "mission critical". It continues
to surface as the caps are purged and resold back through the suppy
chain, then fed up again through distribution as well as when old
unpurged stock is pulled and used.

--
><{{ MudFish (Co30){('>
www.Co30.com
"Careful with that Axe Eugene."

"Rusty" <rlsmith004@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> that
> > manufacturers were having problems with motherboards from a number of
> > companies that exhibited problems with leaky or exploding capacitors.
> >
> > The suit, which seeks to cover any person or company in the United
States
> > who has made a wholesale or retail purchase of an MSI motherboard since
> > 1999, seeks unspecified damages and restitution and other relief.
> >
> > It was not immediately clear how large that proposed class would be. The
> > attorney for Electronic Connection Services was not immediately
available
> > comment.
> >
> > Is this true or has MSI fixed this problem on the newer boards, I am
> > planning on buying A K8N Neo Platinum for my A64.Please Post

> Never has a cap problem on one of my 3 MSI motherboards. Sounds like a BS

Three motherboards doesn't make a good sample.

Tom Lake

"Tom Lake" <tlake@twcny.rr.com> wrote in message
> > Never has a cap problem on one of my 3 MSI motherboards. Sounds like a
BS
> > lawsuit to me.
>
> Three motherboards doesn't make a good sample.

Well my experience has been the opposite with 3 bad boards.
4 MSI boards I have owned, 3 failed with blown cap near CPU! Makes for a
damn good sample in my book.

"Philburg2" <philburg2@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> Never has a cap problem on one of my 3 MSI motherboards. Sounds like a BS
> lawsuit to me.

It's not BS.

Philburg2 wrote:

> Never has a cap problem on one of my 3 MSI motherboards. Sounds like a BS
> lawsuit to me.
>
> "Miller1236" <Miller1236@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > LOS ANGELES, June 1 (Reuters) - Micro-Star International Co. Ltd.
> (2377.TW:
> > Quote, Profile, Research) , one of the world's top makers of computer
> > motherboards, has been sued by a Vermont company seeking class-action
> status
> > over claims that MSI's boards use a defective technology and are prone to
> > fail.
> > The suit, filed in Los Angeles Superior Court last Thursday by Electronic
> > Connection Services Corp., a hardware and software services company,
> claims
> > that MSI has knowingly used capacitors, devices used to regulate the power
> > supply to microchips, that can leak and cause motherboards to
> short-circuit.
> >
> > A spokesman for MSI in Taiwan could not be immediately reached for
> comment.
> >
> > In its lawsuit, Electronic Connection Services said that MSI has known for
> > years that its capacitors were made with an improperly-formulated
> > electrolyte solution and that they are prone to leak or even explode.
> >
> > "The motherboards are of such a low quality and are so defective that MSI
> > knows they consistently fail and that consumers may lose massive amounts
> of
> > information, time and money upon the failure of each motherboard," the
> suit
> > said.
> >
> > The lawsuit cited industry magazines reporting as far back as late 2002
> that
> > manufacturers were having problems with motherboards from a number of
> > companies that exhibited problems with leaky or exploding capacitors.
> >
> > The suit, which seeks to cover any person or company in the United States
> > who has made a wholesale or retail purchase of an MSI motherboard since
> > 1999, seeks unspecified damages and restitution and other relief.
> >
> > It was not immediately clear how large that proposed class would be. The
> > attorney for Electronic Connection Services was not immediately available
> > comment.
> >
> > Is this true or has MSI fixed this problem on the newer boards, I am
> > planning on buying A K8N Neo Platinum for my A64.Please Post

I bought 2 MSI K7N2 Delta-L last May. Serial numbers were only off by 1 so there were from
the same batch.
One was DOA right out of the box. Second one was fine. Got first replaced by dealer but
still a pain in the ass.
--
Jethro[AGHL] aka Phat_Pinger
Reply Email: jeff (at) tibben (dot) ca

logized wrote:

> I replaced my ABit board with an MSI and it is still ok, so hopefully they
> have now all fixed the problem.

I was told by a MSI themselves that the capacitor problems are in the
past and they use a different supplier for the capacitors now.

--
Regards
Dan.

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 13:43:51 -0500, "Miller1236"
<Miller1236@comcast.net> wrote:

| LOS ANGELES, June 1 (Reuters) - Micro-Star International Co. Ltd. (2377.TW:
| Quote, Profile, Research) , one of the world's top makers of computer
| motherboards, has been sued by a Vermont company seeking class-action status
| over claims that MSI's boards use a defective technology and are prone to
| fail.

[snip]

Does anybody know which motherboard manufacturers definitely DID NOT
use any of the faulty capacitors? Or any who definitely aren't using
them now? I'm thinking of replacing an MSI board and don't want that
worry.

TIA!

Larc

"Larc" <larc-news@jupiterlink.net> wrote in message
> On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 13:43:51 -0500, "Miller1236"
> <Miller1236@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> | LOS ANGELES, June 1 (Reuters) - Micro-Star International Co. Ltd.
(2377.TW:
> | Quote, Profile, Research) , one of the world's top makers of computer
> | motherboards, has been sued by a Vermont company seeking class-action
status
> | over claims that MSI's boards use a defective technology and are prone
> | fail.
>
> [snip]
>
> Does anybody know which motherboard manufacturers definitely DID NOT
> use any of the faulty capacitors? Or any who definitely aren't using
> them now? I'm thinking of replacing an MSI board and don't want that
> worry.

While I can not offer any informed information on whether they used these
caps, I can tell you I have never had any problems with my Asus or Aopen
boards.

Johnny

My K7T266 has been running 24/7 for over a year with no problems. Must be a
problem with newer boards.

I've only rarely NOT had some sort of an MSI mobo in my computer, and
I've never had a problem with them.

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 21:31:50 UTC, "Philburg2"

--
Bill
(Please remove "no-spam" from address when replying)

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 20:42:22 -0400, "PC Medic" <NOT@home.net> wrote:

>"Larc" <larc-news@jupiterlink.net> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 13:43:51 -0500, "Miller1236"
>> <Miller1236@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>> | LOS ANGELES, June 1 (Reuters) - Micro-Star International Co. Ltd.
>(2377.TW:
>> | Quote, Profile, Research) , one of the world's top makers of computer
>> | motherboards, has been sued by a Vermont company seeking class-action
>status
>> | over claims that MSI's boards use a defective technology and are prone
>> | fail.
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>> Does anybody know which motherboard manufacturers definitely DID NOT
>> use any of the faulty capacitors? Or any who definitely aren't using
>> them now? I'm thinking of replacing an MSI board and don't want that
>> worry.
>>

>While I can not offer any informed information on whether they used these
>caps, I can tell you I have never had any problems with my Asus or Aopen
>boards.

Asus and Aopen both had the same issues. I saw 4 Aopen Ak73Pro boards
with bad caps and some Asus A7v 133's as well. Lets not forget Abit.
They had plenty too.

"RVi" <none@none.com> wrote in message news:2jer08F10do9fU2@uni-berlin.de...
> logized wrote:
>
> > I replaced my ABit board with an MSI and it is still ok, so hopefully
they
> > have now all fixed the problem.
>
> I was told by a MSI themselves that the capacitor problems are in the
> past and they use a different supplier for the capacitors now.

I was told by MSI that they never had this problem with any of their boards.

ABit now uses Japanese caps from a quality company (as do most of the board
makers now)

"Larc" <larc-news@jupiterlink.net> wrote in message
> On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 13:43:51 -0500, "Miller1236"
> <Miller1236@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> | LOS ANGELES, June 1 (Reuters) - Micro-Star International Co. Ltd.
(2377.TW:
> | Quote, Profile, Research) , one of the world's top makers of computer
> | motherboards, has been sued by a Vermont company seeking class-action
status
> | over claims that MSI's boards use a defective technology and are prone
> | fail.
>
> [snip]
>
> Does anybody know which motherboard manufacturers definitely DID NOT
> use any of the faulty capacitors? Or any who definitely aren't using
> them now? I'm thinking of replacing an MSI board and don't want that
> worry.
>
> TIA!
>
> Larc

You'll not find this "Same" problem with current motherboards..
Most of the companys moved as soon as they could. But the problem was fixed
a long time ago (in electronics time)
so if your buying something that's maybee 1 or even up to 2 years old then
the problem shouldnt be there

"rstlne" <.@text.news.virgin.net> wrote in message

> "Larc" <larc-news@jupiterlink.net> wrote in message
> > On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 13:43:51 -0500, "Miller1236"
> > <Miller1236@comcast.net> wrote:
> >
> > | LOS ANGELES, June 1 (Reuters) - Micro-Star International Co. Ltd.
> (2377.TW:
> > | Quote, Profile, Research) , one of the world's top makers of computer
> > | motherboards, has been sued by a Vermont company seeking class-action
> status
> > | over claims that MSI's boards use a defective technology and are
prone
> > | fail.
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> > Does anybody know which motherboard manufacturers definitely DID NOT
> > use any of the faulty capacitors? Or any who definitely aren't using
> > them now? I'm thinking of replacing an MSI board and don't want that
> > worry.
> >
> > TIA!
> >
> > Larc
>

> You'll not find this "Same" problem with current motherboards..
> Most of the companys moved as soon as they could. But the problem was
fixed
> a long time ago (in electronics time)
> so if your buying something that's maybee 1 or even up to 2 years old then
> the problem shouldnt be there

Well considering this was a Major issue in 2000-2001 I do not see how buying
older vs. newer board is going to help???

<johnny@n0sq.net> wrote in message
> My K7T266 has been running 24/7 for over a year with no problems. Must be
> problem with newer boards.

No, your board was probably produced after they changed suppliers..
My board worked flawless for damn near 11 months before it went

> > You'll not find this "Same" problem with current motherboards..
> > Most of the companys moved as soon as they could. But the problem was
> fixed
> > a long time ago (in electronics time)
> > so if your buying something that's maybee 1 or even up to 2 years old
then
> > the problem shouldnt be there
> >
> Well considering this was a Major issue in 2000-2001 I do not see how
buying
> older vs. newer board is going to help???

I was just meaning that if the poster buys something made in the past couple
of years (made in) then they shouldnt need to worry about this fault being
there.

rstlne wrote:

> I was told by MSI that they never had this problem with any of their board
s.

You have been misinformed even MSI have their own website forum and
plenty of questions have been asked and answered about the capacitor
problems.

> ABit now uses Japanese caps from a quality company (as do most of the board
> makers now)

MSI did the same thing. Majority of motherboard manufactures moved to a
different supplier after this fiasco.

--
Regards
Dan.

"RVi" <none@none.com> wrote in message news:2jlfgmF12e3sgU1@uni-berlin.de...
> rstlne wrote:
>

> > I was told by MSI that they never had this problem with any of their
board
> s.
>
> You have been misinformed even MSI have their own website forum and
> plenty of questions have been asked and answered about the capacitor
> problems.

MSI's website forum is not ran by MSI. It's ran by people who get discounts
on kit.
I was informed DIRECTLY by MSI over the phone that this WAS NOT an issue
with any of their products. They made the same reply's to many other "tech
sites" when the question was first brought forward.

They also say they have a 3 year warranty on their motherboards but in the
UK the warranty is void (because they dont have "or did not have" a rma
system).

Yes, I was misinformed but I was misinformed by MSI

1 of 10 replaced for CAP problem. But it was not a bad CAP, it was a bad
cold solder joint at the CAP that worked lose. Replacement was swift
with no troubles at all.