K7N2 - Dual DDR with 3 slots?

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
June 18, 2004 12:11:56 AM

Hi I'm a newbie to MSI & this newsgroup.

Please can anyone tell me if Dual DDR works with all 3 slots filled with
identical modules. I currently have 2 slots filled with 256Mb modules & am
hoping to add another one rather than replacing them with 2 x 512Mb.

Also, is it the case that the board performs better at 333fsb than at 400?
Will down clocking pc3200 to 333MHz have the same effect as installing
pc2700?

More about : k7n2 dual ddr slots

June 18, 2004 3:12:12 AM

> Please can anyone tell me if Dual DDR works with all 3 slots filled with
> identical modules. I currently have 2 slots filled with 256Mb modules & am
> hoping to add another one rather than replacing them with 2 x 512Mb.

I just read that you can maintain dual ddr with 2x256 in slots 1&2 and 1x512
in slot 3. Has anyone had any success with this?
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 18, 2004 7:01:50 AM

On 6/17/2004 3:12 PM Steve brightened our day with:

>>Please can anyone tell me if Dual DDR works with all 3 slots filled with
>>identical modules. I currently have 2 slots filled with 256Mb modules & am
>>hoping to add another one rather than replacing them with 2 x 512Mb.
>>

>I just read that you can maintain dual ddr with 2x256 in slots 1&2 and 1x512
>in slot 3. Has anyone had any success with this?

I've read it too, sounds likely. But I'd assume you have to keep pretty
damned similar on your RAM. I've got two 256 Mb Corsair XMS PC2700 and
I'd imagine I'd have to get a 512 Mb stick of Corsair XMS PC2700 (though
I'd like to get PC3200).

--
“The braying sheep on my TV screen
Make this boy shout, make this boy scream!"

Steve [Inglo]
a b V Motherboard
June 18, 2004 7:36:58 AM

"Inglo" <ingloogoo@zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.xcc> wrote in message
> On 6/17/2004 3:12 PM Steve brightened our day with:
>
> >>Please can anyone tell me if Dual DDR works with all 3 slots filled with
> >>identical modules. I currently have 2 slots filled with 256Mb modules &
am
> >>hoping to add another one rather than replacing them with 2 x 512Mb.
> >>

> >I just read that you can maintain dual ddr with 2x256 in slots 1&2 and
1x512
> >in slot 3. Has anyone had any success with this?
> >

> I've read it too, sounds likely. But I'd assume you have to keep pretty
> damned similar on your RAM. I've got two 256 Mb Corsair XMS PC2700 and
> I'd imagine I'd have to get a 512 Mb stick of Corsair XMS PC2700 (though
> I'd like to get PC3200).

I''m doing it on a Delta-L with 2x256 and 1x512 of OCZ 3200EL. I'm assuming
by "Dual DDR" you mean dual-channel. I put the smaller sticks in the 2
similar color slots and the big one in the single color slot. Running
2.0-3-2-11
June 18, 2004 12:28:13 PM

"Kill Bill" <a@b.c> wrote in message

> "Inglo" <ingloogoo@zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.xcc> wrote in message
> > On 6/17/2004 3:12 PM Steve brightened our day with:

> am
> > >>

> > >I just read that you can maintain dual ddr with 2x256 in slots 1&2 and
> 1x512
> > >in slot 3. Has anyone had any success with this?
> > >

> > I've read it too, sounds likely. But I'd assume you have to keep pretty
> > damned similar on your RAM. I've got two 256 Mb Corsair XMS PC2700 and
> > I'd imagine I'd have to get a 512 Mb stick of Corsair XMS PC2700 (though
> > I'd like to get PC3200).
> >

> I''m doing it on a Delta-L with 2x256 and 1x512 of OCZ 3200EL. I'm
assuming
> by "Dual DDR" you mean dual-channel. I put the smaller sticks in the 2
> similar color slots and the big one in the single color slot. Running
> 2.0-3-2-11

Dual-channel, exactly. That sounds very promising. I too have a delta-L and
put in 2x256 of Crucial pc2700 which was in retrospect a poor choice but all
I could afford at the time to enable dual channel mode. I guess I'm going to
have to get an equivalent stick of 512 of pc2700. If I was starting over
with memory, would there be any benefit in going for pc3200 over pc2700? I
read in a couple of reviews (e.g. cluboverclocker.com) that the nforce2
chipset wasnt optimized for 400MHz and ran faster at 333. Does that mean fsb
OCing doesnt bring much benefit? I haven't tried yet. I'm guessing I might
be constrained by memory anyway.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 18, 2004 12:30:08 PM

"Steve" <email@withheld.com> wrote in message
> "Kill Bill" <a@b.c> wrote in message
> >
> > "Inglo" <ingloogoo@zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.xcc> wrote in
message
> > > On 6/17/2004 3:12 PM Steve brightened our day with:

> with
> &
> > am

> > 1x512
> > > >

> > > I've read it too, sounds likely. But I'd assume you have to keep
pretty
> > > damned similar on your RAM. I've got two 256 Mb Corsair XMS PC2700 and
> > > I'd imagine I'd have to get a 512 Mb stick of Corsair XMS PC2700
(though
> > > I'd like to get PC3200).
> > >

> > I''m doing it on a Delta-L with 2x256 and 1x512 of OCZ 3200EL. I'm
> assuming
> > by "Dual DDR" you mean dual-channel. I put the smaller sticks in the 2
> > similar color slots and the big one in the single color slot. Running
> > 2.0-3-2-11
> >

> Dual-channel, exactly. That sounds very promising. I too have a delta-L
and
> put in 2x256 of Crucial pc2700 which was in retrospect a poor choice but
all
> I could afford at the time to enable dual channel mode. I guess I'm going
> have to get an equivalent stick of 512 of pc2700. If I was starting over
> with memory, would there be any benefit in going for pc3200 over pc2700? I
> read in a couple of reviews (e.g. cluboverclocker.com) that the nforce2
> chipset wasnt optimized for 400MHz and ran faster at 333. Does that mean
fsb
> OCing doesnt bring much benefit? I haven't tried yet. I'm guessing I might
> be constrained by memory anyway.

If you're running your CPU at a 166 (333 effective) FSB then the memory
choice is fine. To take real advantage of PC3200 you'd want to run a
200FSB(400 effective). Depending on your CPU it can be done but it might
require a little more research and fine tuning. If you feel you need MORE
memory I'd just pick up another 512 stick of 2700. If you want more speed,
well then you have other options. I.E. Re-clocking the CPU, overclocking
your present memory, or replacing it all. Probably not worth the hassle.
Memory isn't cheap nowadays.

As far as the 2nd half of your comment, you're probably thinking of the time
when the CPU FSB motherboards were behind the memory speeds supported by the
mobos. IOW, you could run a 333Mhz chip and 400Mhz memory. But running
them "asynchronously" resulted in worse performance than running both at
333Mhz. Soon after, the 200FSB(400) official mobos like the Delta-L came
out and supported both memory and CPU at a 200Mhz FSB (400 effective).
Whew....
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 18, 2004 4:48:21 PM

On 6/18/2004 1:30 AM Kill Bill brightened our day with:

>"Steve" <email@withheld.com> wrote in message

>>> <>I''m doing it on a Delta-L with 2x256 and 1x512 of OCZ 3200EL. I'm
>>> assuming
>>
>>>by "Dual DDR" you mean dual-channel. I put the smaller sticks in the 2
>>>similar color slots and the big one in the single color slot. Running
>>>2.0-3-2-11
>>>

>> <>Dual-channel, exactly. That sounds very promising. I too have a
>> delta-L and
>
>> <>put in 2x256 of Crucial pc2700 which was in retrospect a poor
>> choice but all
>
>> <>I could afford at the time to enable dual channel mode. I guess I'm
>> going to
>
>> <>have to get an equivalent stick of 512 of pc2700. If I was starting
>> over
>> with memory, would there be any benefit in going for pc3200 over
>> pc2700? I
>> read in a couple of reviews (e.g. cluboverclocker.com) that the nforce2
>> chipset wasnt optimized for 400MHz and ran faster at 333. Does that
>> mean fsb
>
>>OCing doesnt bring much benefit? I haven't tried yet. I'm guessing I might
>>be constrained by memory anyway.
>>

>If you're running your CPU at a 166 (333 effective) FSB then the memory
>choice is fine. To take real advantage of PC3200 you'd want to run a
>200FSB(400 effective). Depending on your CPU it can be done but it might
>require a little more research and fine tuning. If you feel you need MORE
>memory I'd just pick up another 512 stick of 2700. If you want more speed,
>well then you have other options. I.E. Re-clocking the CPU, overclocking
>your present memory, or replacing it all. Probably not worth the hassle.
>Memory isn't cheap nowadays.
>
>As far as the 2nd half of your comment, you're probably thinking of the time
>when the CPU FSB motherboards were behind the memory speeds supported by the
>mobos. IOW, you could run a 333Mhz chip and 400Mhz memory. But running
>them "asynchronously" resulted in worse performance than running both at
>333Mhz. Soon after, the 200FSB(400) official mobos like the Delta-L came
>out and supported both memory and CPU at a 200Mhz FSB (400 effective).
>Whew....

OCing the FSB brings plenty of benefit, I'm running at a +17 MHz FSB OC
right now (183 MHz). I'm happy at that speed and what I'd like to do is
get some PC3200 to go with my PC2700 and then underclock the PC3200. Its
correct that RAM isn't cheap right now but newegg.com has the memory I
want for around $125, but the PC3200 is only $2 more than the PC2700, so
it would seem to make sense to get the PC3200 and cross fingers that it
works with the 2 PC2700 sticks.
I'd be curious if the only sacrifice for making such a stretch in
compatibility would be dual channel, I've run my K7N2 with the memory I
have in both Dual and Single Channel, there really isn't any difference.

To the original Steve, anything specific you want the extra memory for?
Play FarCry? ;-)

--
“The braying sheep on my TV screen
Make this boy shout, make this boy scream!"

Steve [Inglo]
June 24, 2004 6:29:44 AM

It should work as long as the 2-256's are single sided ram chips and the 512
is two sided or the 512 is single sided with 2-256 two sided chips.
I could be wrong but I think that you must have a dual channel memory setup.
If all the memory is two sided in all three slots that would be three
channels not two depending upon the memory configuration.
Becareful of the chip configuration (two sided, or one sided) that you have
in relationship to the memory you plan to buy.

"Inglo" <ingloogoo@zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.xcc> wrote in message
> On 6/17/2004 3:12 PM Steve brightened our day with:
>
> >>Please can anyone tell me if Dual DDR works with all 3 slots filled with
> >>identical modules. I currently have 2 slots filled with 256Mb modules &
am
> >>hoping to add another one rather than replacing them with 2 x 512Mb.
> >>

> >I just read that you can maintain dual ddr with 2x256 in slots 1&2 and
1x512
> >in slot 3. Has anyone had any success with this?
> >

> I've read it too, sounds likely. But I'd assume you have to keep pretty
> damned similar on your RAM. I've got two 256 Mb Corsair XMS PC2700 and
> I'd imagine I'd have to get a 512 Mb stick of Corsair XMS PC2700 (though
> I'd like to get PC3200).
>
> --
> “The braying sheep on my TV screen
> Make this boy shout, make this boy scream!"
>
> Steve [Inglo]
July 3, 2004 3:19:18 AM

"Inglo" <ingloogoo@zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.xcc> wrote in message
news:p wBAc.4670$RT2.2223@newssvr27.news.prodigy.com...
> [...]
> right now (183 MHz). I'm happy at that speed and what I'd like to do is
> get some PC3200 to go with my PC2700 and then underclock the PC3200. Its
> correct that RAM isn't cheap right now but newegg.com has the memory I
> want for around $125, but the PC3200 is only $2 more than the PC2700, so
> it would seem to make sense to get the PC3200 and cross fingers that it
> works with the 2 PC2700 sticks.
> I'd be curious if the only sacrifice for making such a stretch in
> compatibility would be dual channel, I've run my K7N2 with the memory I
> have in both Dual and Single Channel, there really isn't any difference.
>
> To the original Steve, anything specific you want the extra memory for?
> Play FarCry? ;-)
>
> --
> “The braying sheep on my TV screen
> Make this boy shout, make this boy scream!"

Hello again. Sorry for the long silence - had to RMA my mobo. Decided
against upgrading to pc3200 due to the cost. Got a 512mb stick of pc2700 in
the end but the damn thing wouldnt post with 3 modules in. Turned out that
slot 2 was kaput. So I have a new one in now with 1Gb of memory in dual
channel. Upped the multiplier to 12.5 to run at XP2800 speed & set memory
timings to 5-2-2-2.0. 3dmark2003 now over 100 points higher. I think this
machine is ready for Far Cry ;-)
Cheers guys
Steve
!