Beginner can't get a wireless VPN connect?

I have a new IBM laptop. It has a Watchguard VPN setup on it so I can
connect to the office when I'm out. If I'm at a client and plugged directly
into their DSL it connects and works great. When I'm at home though, with
my wireless connection it doesn't work. The VPN connects, the internet
works great, but I can't connect my software or log-in, as if I'm NOT
connected? Again, everything works fine when I'm connected elswhere (not
home). Is there something I need to change in the wireless config
(LinkSys)?

Thanks...
2 answers Last reply
More about beginner wireless connect

    My first guess is your router is configured to block some of the ports or
    the PPTP protocol required for VPN connections. From KB 314076 (at the very
    end):

    "If you use a personal firewall or a broadband router, or if there are
    routers or firewalls between the VPN client and the VPN server, the
    following ports and protocol must be enabled for PPTP on all firewalls and
    routers that are between the VPN client and the VPN server:

    Client ports Server port Protocol
    1024-65535/TCP 1723/TCP PPTP

    Additionally, you must enable IP PROTOCOL 47 (GRE).
    For information about your firewall or router configuration, and to confirm
    that your firewall or your router will pass these ports and protocol,
    contact the manufacturer of your firewall, your router, your ISP, or your
    VPN server administrator."

    There are more troubleshooting and setup tips in the KB found here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;Q314076.

    newsgroup purposes only.
    "Russell DeMarco" <rdemarco@email.msn.com> wrote in message
    >I have a new IBM laptop. It has a Watchguard VPN setup on it so I can
    > connect to the office when I'm out. If I'm at a client and plugged
    > directly
    > into their DSL it connects and works great. When I'm at home though, with
    > my wireless connection it doesn't work. The VPN connects, the internet
    > works great, but I can't connect my software or log-in, as if I'm NOT
    > connected? Again, everything works fine when I'm connected elswhere (not
    > home). Is there something I need to change in the wireless config
    > (LinkSys)?
    >
    > Thanks...

    Thanks. I think LinkSys requires you to enable Ipsec pass-thru in the
    router. I'll see what happens...

    "Jim Seifert [MSFT]" <jimsei@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My first guess is your router is configured to block some of the ports or
    > the PPTP protocol required for VPN connections. From KB 314076 (at the
    very
    > end):
    >
    > "If you use a personal firewall or a broadband router, or if there are
    > routers or firewalls between the VPN client and the VPN server, the
    > following ports and protocol must be enabled for PPTP on all firewalls and
    > routers that are between the VPN client and the VPN server:
    >

    > Client ports Server port Protocol
    > 1024-65535/TCP 1723/TCP PPTP
    >

    > Additionally, you must enable IP PROTOCOL 47 (GRE).
    > For information about your firewall or router configuration, and to
    confirm
    > that your firewall or your router will pass these ports and protocol,
    > contact the manufacturer of your firewall, your router, your ISP, or your
    > VPN server administrator."
    >
    > There are more troubleshooting and setup tips in the KB found here:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;Q314076.
    >

    > --
    > Please do not send e-mail directly to this alias. This alias is for
    > newsgroup purposes only.
    rights.
    > "Russell DeMarco" <rdemarco@email.msn.com> wrote in message
    > >I have a new IBM laptop. It has a Watchguard VPN setup on it so I can
    > > connect to the office when I'm out. If I'm at a client and plugged
    > > directly
    > > into their DSL it connects and works great. When I'm at home though,
    with
    > > my wireless connection it doesn't work. The VPN connects, the internet
    > > works great, but I can't connect my software or log-in, as if I'm NOT
    > > connected? Again, everything works fine when I'm connected elswhere
    (not
    > > home). Is there something I need to change in the wireless config
    > > (LinkSys)?
    > >
    > > Thanks...

Wireless Connection VPN Wireless Networking