Beginner can't get a wireless VPN connect?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
March 17, 2005 1:37:51 PM

I have a new IBM laptop. It has a Watchguard VPN setup on it so I can
connect to the office when I'm out. If I'm at a client and plugged directly
into their DSL it connects and works great. When I'm at home though, with
my wireless connection it doesn't work. The VPN connects, the internet
works great, but I can't connect my software or log-in, as if I'm NOT
connected? Again, everything works fine when I'm connected elswhere (not
home). Is there something I need to change in the wireless config
(LinkSys)?

Thanks...
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
March 18, 2005 2:00:12 PM

My first guess is your router is configured to block some of the ports or
the PPTP protocol required for VPN connections. From KB 314076 (at the very
end):

"If you use a personal firewall or a broadband router, or if there are
routers or firewalls between the VPN client and the VPN server, the
following ports and protocol must be enabled for PPTP on all firewalls and
routers that are between the VPN client and the VPN server:

Client ports Server port Protocol
1024-65535/TCP 1723/TCP PPTP

Additionally, you must enable IP PROTOCOL 47 (GRE).
For information about your firewall or router configuration, and to confirm
that your firewall or your router will pass these ports and protocol,
contact the manufacturer of your firewall, your router, your ISP, or your
VPN server administrator."

There are more troubleshooting and setup tips in the KB found here:
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;Q314076.

newsgroup purposes only.
"Russell DeMarco" <rdemarco@email.msn.com> wrote in message
news:o P%23EcWwKFHA.2284@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>I have a new IBM laptop. It has a Watchguard VPN setup on it so I can
> connect to the office when I'm out. If I'm at a client and plugged
> directly
> into their DSL it connects and works great. When I'm at home though, with
> my wireless connection it doesn't work. The VPN connects, the internet
> works great, but I can't connect my software or log-in, as if I'm NOT
> connected? Again, everything works fine when I'm connected elswhere (not
> home). Is there something I need to change in the wireless config
> (LinkSys)?
>
> Thanks...

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
March 18, 2005 8:35:34 PM

Thanks. I think LinkSys requires you to enable Ipsec pass-thru in the
router. I'll see what happens...

news:o 5HX6y%23KFHA.2764@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...

!