WindowsXP SP2 blows up on Microsoft Office and other rando..

a b } Memory
January 30, 2005 11:29:02 PM

I upgraded the Memory on my IBM 6823-11U PC to its max of 1.5GB. I used
three 512 sims (combination of Kingston and IBM - 168 Pin to IBM specs).
Ever since, I've had random problems when more than one program is open on
the desktop. I suspect the Memory since it wasn't happening before the Mem
upgrade. I am experiencing two different symtoms:

1. When I try to go to a new page in IE (6.0+) or any of several Office
programs such as Word, Powerpnt or Publisher, that page with blow up (also
happens with QB Premier). Window continues to run, however; and I can
generally go back in and get that page (just loose whatever was in progress).
It does not happen all the time; and I can't induce it.

2. In other instances, in the same programs (on a random basis), I cannot
execute a command like "save" or switch between program screens. If I close
some open windows, I can usually proceed. But, I am not running any more
open windows than before I upgraded Memory.

3. I'm not getting any error screens in items 1 or 2; just a "bong" like
when a popup is blocked, or an illegal key combination. I have tried turning
off my Popup blocker (IE & Netscape 7.2); but can't see any difference.

I think it might be Memory because that's the most recent change I've made.
SP2 has been on almost since it was first available; and long before this
problem developed. So, I don't think its SP2.

I ran PC Doctor; and it shows no Memory or CMOS problems (or any other
problems, for that matter). I am current on Windows and Office Updates.

Any ideas?
--
23233-1434
Anonymous

"Wes Lucas" <WesLucas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I upgraded the Memory on my IBM 6823-11U PC to its max of 1.5GB. I used
> three 512 sims (combination of Kingston and IBM - 168 Pin to IBM specs).
> Ever since, I've had random problems when more than one program is open on
> the desktop. I suspect the Memory since it wasn't happening before the
> Mem
> upgrade. I am experiencing two different symtoms:
>
> 1. When I try to go to a new page in IE (6.0+) or any of several Office
> programs such as Word, Powerpnt or Publisher, that page with blow up (also
> happens with QB Premier). Window continues to run, however; and I can
> generally go back in and get that page (just loose whatever was in
> progress).
> It does not happen all the time; and I can't induce it.
>
> 2. In other instances, in the same programs (on a random basis), I cannot
> execute a command like "save" or switch between program screens. If I
> close
> some open windows, I can usually proceed. But, I am not running any more
> open windows than before I upgraded Memory.
>
> 3. I'm not getting any error screens in items 1 or 2; just a "bong" like
> when a popup is blocked, or an illegal key combination. I have tried
> turning
> off my Popup blocker (IE & Netscape 7.2); but can't see any difference.
>
> I think it might be Memory because that's the most recent change I've
> made.
> SP2 has been on almost since it was first available; and long before this
> problem developed. So, I don't think its SP2.
>
> I ran PC Doctor; and it shows no Memory or CMOS problems (or any other
> problems, for that matter). I am current on Windows and Office Updates.
>
> Any ideas?
> --
> 23233-1434

If you suspect memory, run memtest.

www.memtest86.com

--
William
Anonymous

try taking the new memory out and see if it still reacts the same.
January 31, 2005 4:11:04 PM

Indeed, sounds as though your new memory module is bad. If it is you should
be able to exchange it for a new one.

"EasyFeelings" wrote:

> try taking the new memory out and see if it still reacts the same.

Anonymous
a b } Memory
January 31, 2005 6:29:06 PM

"Michael" wrote:

> Indeed, sounds as though your new memory module is bad. If it is you should
> be able to exchange it for a new one.
>
> "EasyFeelings" wrote:
>
> > try taking the new memory out and see if it still reacts the same.

It does indeed appear to be a bad memory module. I ran Memtest as
suggested; and I had 20 errors the first time; and 8 errors the second time.
I took out the newer simm; and moved the others to different sockets.

Reran Memtest and got no errors. I re installed the newer simm; but in a
new position. Still got errors; so . . .

Thanks to all for the help
!