WindowsXP SP2 blows up on Microsoft Office and other rando..

I upgraded the Memory on my IBM 6823-11U PC to its max of 1.5GB. I used
three 512 sims (combination of Kingston and IBM - 168 Pin to IBM specs).
Ever since, I've had random problems when more than one program is open on
the desktop. I suspect the Memory since it wasn't happening before the Mem
upgrade. I am experiencing two different symtoms:

1. When I try to go to a new page in IE (6.0+) or any of several Office
programs such as Word, Powerpnt or Publisher, that page with blow up (also
happens with QB Premier). Window continues to run, however; and I can
generally go back in and get that page (just loose whatever was in progress).
It does not happen all the time; and I can't induce it.

2. In other instances, in the same programs (on a random basis), I cannot
execute a command like "save" or switch between program screens. If I close
some open windows, I can usually proceed. But, I am not running any more
open windows than before I upgraded Memory.

3. I'm not getting any error screens in items 1 or 2; just a "bong" like
when a popup is blocked, or an illegal key combination. I have tried turning
off my Popup blocker (IE & Netscape 7.2); but can't see any difference.

I think it might be Memory because that's the most recent change I've made.
SP2 has been on almost since it was first available; and long before this
problem developed. So, I don't think its SP2.

I ran PC Doctor; and it shows no Memory or CMOS problems (or any other
problems, for that matter). I am current on Windows and Office Updates.

Any ideas?
--
23233-1434
4 answers Last reply

    "Wes Lucas" <WesLucas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I upgraded the Memory on my IBM 6823-11U PC to its max of 1.5GB. I used
    > three 512 sims (combination of Kingston and IBM - 168 Pin to IBM specs).
    > Ever since, I've had random problems when more than one program is open on
    > the desktop. I suspect the Memory since it wasn't happening before the
    > Mem
    > upgrade. I am experiencing two different symtoms:
    >
    > 1. When I try to go to a new page in IE (6.0+) or any of several Office
    > programs such as Word, Powerpnt or Publisher, that page with blow up (also
    > happens with QB Premier). Window continues to run, however; and I can
    > generally go back in and get that page (just loose whatever was in
    > progress).
    > It does not happen all the time; and I can't induce it.
    >
    > 2. In other instances, in the same programs (on a random basis), I cannot
    > execute a command like "save" or switch between program screens. If I
    > close
    > some open windows, I can usually proceed. But, I am not running any more
    > open windows than before I upgraded Memory.
    >
    > 3. I'm not getting any error screens in items 1 or 2; just a "bong" like
    > when a popup is blocked, or an illegal key combination. I have tried
    > turning
    > off my Popup blocker (IE & Netscape 7.2); but can't see any difference.
    >
    > I think it might be Memory because that's the most recent change I've
    > made.
    > SP2 has been on almost since it was first available; and long before this
    > problem developed. So, I don't think its SP2.
    >
    > I ran PC Doctor; and it shows no Memory or CMOS problems (or any other
    > problems, for that matter). I am current on Windows and Office Updates.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    > --
    > 23233-1434

    If you suspect memory, run memtest.

    www.memtest86.com

    --
    William

    try taking the new memory out and see if it still reacts the same.

    Indeed, sounds as though your new memory module is bad. If it is you should
    be able to exchange it for a new one.

    "Michael" wrote:

    > Indeed, sounds as though your new memory module is bad. If it is you should
    > be able to exchange it for a new one.
    >
    > "EasyFeelings" wrote:
    >
    > > try taking the new memory out and see if it still reacts the same.

    It does indeed appear to be a bad memory module. I ran Memtest as
    suggested; and I had 20 errors the first time; and 8 errors the second time.
    I took out the newer simm; and moved the others to different sockets.

    Reran Memtest and got no errors. I re installed the newer simm; but in a
    new position. Still got errors; so . . .

    Thanks to all for the help

Memory Windows XP