Could a "spybot" be making up something so.....

Could a "spybot" be making up something as a trojan, so you buy their
product? I have downloaded 3 different adware and spyware programs that give
you a free scan, but have to purchase the product to get rid of the trojans,
however on the 3 different scans I ran, each one came up with something
different, is it because the other 2 dont catch the same thing or are they
just putting something up to look like a trojan so you buy their product?

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 05:59:02 -0800, J wrote:

> Could a "spybot" be making up something as a trojan, so you buy their
> product? I have downloaded 3 different adware and spyware programs that give
> you a free scan, but have to purchase the product to get rid of the trojans,
> however on the 3 different scans I ran, each one came up with something
> different, is it because the other 2 dont catch the same thing or are they
> just putting something up to look like a trojan so you buy their product?

Are the scans for the products you're looking at truthful? Don't know.
Personally, I would stay away from programs using this type of marketing.
There are plenty of good free tools out there: AdAware and "Spybot Search
and Destroy," for example.

I did buy a product (CA's PestPatrol) but from a vendor that did not exert
pressure to force that purchase. I use this in addition to several
freebies, including the ones mentioned above.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

I don't believe so! Malwares (aka spywares) always try to hide themselves.
This is why we need to run different anti-spyware programs so as to remove
these "pests". I would worry more about the "free" spyware scanners since
some add spywares to your system, (eAcceleration is a known own!).

The known safe, free anti-spyware programs are:

AD Aware SE 1.05
Spybot: Search and Destroy 1.3 (not the "spybot" type trojans)
CWShredder
HiJackThis

Also two very well-known"paid-for" anti-spyware programs are:

WebRoot Spy Sweeper
CA PestPatrol

Spywares are now the "bane" of the Internet and Microsoft is joining the
removal quest with: Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta 1.