Could a "spybot" be making up something so.....

Could a "spybot" be making up something as a trojan, so you buy their
product? I have downloaded 3 different adware and spyware programs that give
you a free scan, but have to purchase the product to get rid of the trojans,
however on the 3 different scans I ran, each one came up with something
different, is it because the other 2 dont catch the same thing or are they
just putting something up to look like a trojan so you buy their product?
2 answers Last reply
More about could spybot making

    On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 05:59:02 -0800, J wrote:

    > Could a "spybot" be making up something as a trojan, so you buy their
    > product? I have downloaded 3 different adware and spyware programs that give
    > you a free scan, but have to purchase the product to get rid of the trojans,
    > however on the 3 different scans I ran, each one came up with something
    > different, is it because the other 2 dont catch the same thing or are they
    > just putting something up to look like a trojan so you buy their product?

    Are the scans for the products you're looking at truthful? Don't know.
    Personally, I would stay away from programs using this type of marketing.
    There are plenty of good free tools out there: AdAware and "Spybot Search
    and Destroy," for example.

    I did buy a product (CA's PestPatrol) but from a vendor that did not exert
    pressure to force that purchase. I use this in addition to several
    freebies, including the ones mentioned above.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    I don't believe so! Malwares (aka spywares) always try to hide themselves.
    This is why we need to run different anti-spyware programs so as to remove
    these "pests". I would worry more about the "free" spyware scanners since
    some add spywares to your system, (eAcceleration is a known own!).

    The known safe, free anti-spyware programs are:

    AD Aware SE 1.05
    Spybot: Search and Destroy 1.3 (not the "spybot" type trojans)
    CWShredder
    HiJackThis

    Also two very well-known"paid-for" anti-spyware programs are:

    WebRoot Spy Sweeper
    CA PestPatrol

    Spywares are now the "bane" of the Internet and Microsoft is joining the
    removal quest with: Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta 1.

    "J" <J@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Could a "spybot" be making up something as a trojan, so you buy their
    > product? I have downloaded 3 different adware and spyware programs that
    > give
    > you a free scan, but have to purchase the product to get rid of the
    > trojans,
    > however on the 3 different scans I ran, each one came up with something
    > different, is it because the other 2 dont catch the same thing or are they
    > just putting something up to look like a trojan so you buy their product?

Trojan Spybot Microsoft Windows XP