K7N2 Delta-L: Unknown CPU with Mobile Barton

Folks,

Last week I purchased a mobile Barton XP2400+ cpu and attempted to use
it on my Asus A7V133 motherboard. I could not get it stable and went
back to my old Thunderbird 1.33. Shortly after that, the voltage
regulator on the A7V133 smoked !
So, now am the proud owner of a K7N2 Delta-L. Here's the deal:
I put the mobile Barton on and booted up. While it recognized the cpu as
a mobile, I found the K7N2 does not have high range multipliers. The
best I was able to do was 12.5x133 on the Barton. So, I pulled the cpu
out and installed the wire jumper on the cpu socket per the diagram at
overclockers.de to give access to high range multipliers. I reset the
CMOS and it booted fine. With the wire trick the high range multipliers
are remapped (ie. 9 in bios = 17x, 7 in bios = 15x). I have the board at
15x133 or 1995mHz (limited by my Vantec CCK-6040H I think). However,
the bios now does not recognize the cpu and reports "unknown cpu".
Anyone have any suggestions ? Is there a new or modified bios that
supports the mobile Barton for this board ?

Thanks,

Mark
1 answer Last reply
More about k7n2 delta unknown mobile barton

    "beartooth91" <sharpei@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > Folks,
    >
    > Last week I purchased a mobile Barton XP2400+ cpu and attempted to use
    > it on my Asus A7V133 motherboard. I could not get it stable and went
    > back to my old Thunderbird 1.33. Shortly after that, the voltage
    > regulator on the A7V133 smoked !
    > So, now am the proud owner of a K7N2 Delta-L. Here's the deal:
    > I put the mobile Barton on and booted up. While it recognized the cpu as
    > a mobile, I found the K7N2 does not have high range multipliers. The
    > best I was able to do was 12.5x133 on the Barton. So, I pulled the cpu
    > out and installed the wire jumper on the cpu socket per the diagram at
    > overclockers.de to give access to high range multipliers. I reset the
    > CMOS and it booted fine. With the wire trick the high range multipliers
    > are remapped (ie. 9 in bios = 17x, 7 in bios = 15x). I have the board at
    > 15x133 or 1995mHz (limited by my Vantec CCK-6040H I think). However,
    > the bios now does not recognize the cpu and reports "unknown cpu".
    > Anyone have any suggestions ? Is there a new or modified bios that
    > supports the mobile Barton for this board ?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Mark

    Nope, it's a mobile and there's no real reason to release a BIOS that would
    recognize that. It means nothing. But you should be able to run it at
    2.2Ghz easily at stock "desktop" voltage (1.65v) without a temp problem.
    It'd be a shame not to.

MSI-Microstar Mobile CPUs Motherboards