K7N2 Delta-L: Unknown CPU with Mobile Barton

Last response: in Motherboards
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
June 23, 2004 7:50:59 PM

Folks,

Last week I purchased a mobile Barton XP2400+ cpu and attempted to use
it on my Asus A7V133 motherboard. I could not get it stable and went
back to my old Thunderbird 1.33. Shortly after that, the voltage
regulator on the A7V133 smoked !
So, now am the proud owner of a K7N2 Delta-L. Here's the deal:
I put the mobile Barton on and booted up. While it recognized the cpu as
a mobile, I found the K7N2 does not have high range multipliers. The
best I was able to do was 12.5x133 on the Barton. So, I pulled the cpu
out and installed the wire jumper on the cpu socket per the diagram at
overclockers.de to give access to high range multipliers. I reset the
CMOS and it booted fine. With the wire trick the high range multipliers
are remapped (ie. 9 in bios = 17x, 7 in bios = 15x). I have the board at
15x133 or 1995mHz (limited by my Vantec CCK-6040H I think). However,
the bios now does not recognize the cpu and reports "unknown cpu".
Anyone have any suggestions ? Is there a new or modified bios that
supports the mobile Barton for this board ?

Thanks,

Mark
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
June 24, 2004 6:14:53 AM

"beartooth91" <sharpei@verizon.net> wrote in message
news:D FhCc.23576$Yb1.19987@nwrddc02.gnilink.net...
> Folks,
>
> Last week I purchased a mobile Barton XP2400+ cpu and attempted to use
> it on my Asus A7V133 motherboard. I could not get it stable and went
> back to my old Thunderbird 1.33. Shortly after that, the voltage
> regulator on the A7V133 smoked !
> So, now am the proud owner of a K7N2 Delta-L. Here's the deal:
> I put the mobile Barton on and booted up. While it recognized the cpu as
> a mobile, I found the K7N2 does not have high range multipliers. The
> best I was able to do was 12.5x133 on the Barton. So, I pulled the cpu
> out and installed the wire jumper on the cpu socket per the diagram at
> overclockers.de to give access to high range multipliers. I reset the
> CMOS and it booted fine. With the wire trick the high range multipliers
> are remapped (ie. 9 in bios = 17x, 7 in bios = 15x). I have the board at
> 15x133 or 1995mHz (limited by my Vantec CCK-6040H I think). However,
> the bios now does not recognize the cpu and reports "unknown cpu".
> Anyone have any suggestions ? Is there a new or modified bios that
> supports the mobile Barton for this board ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark

Nope, it's a mobile and there's no real reason to release a BIOS that would
recognize that. It means nothing. But you should be able to run it at
2.2Ghz easily at stock "desktop" voltage (1.65v) without a temp problem.
It'd be a shame not to.
!