sound card not detected in PCI slot

In anticipation of delivery of a new digital camcorder, I've been
anxious to get a Firewire port installed on the PC. I bought and
installed an Adaptec card, but XP would not detect it. After
exhausting the limits of my expertise, I took it to the local PC tech
guys who declared that the card was bad (it wouldn't detect in their
machine either.) Problem solved; so I thought.

Soured on Adaptec products, I instead opted for a Soundblaster Audigy 2
ZS card. I figure I only need one 1394 port anyhow, and why not
upgrade from the onboard sound while I'm at it. Installed it, booted
up, nothing. It doesn't detect either.

FWIW, I have already checked the BIOS, and PnP is enabled. I also
tried disabling the onboard audio in both Device Manager & the BIOS.
No difference. I tried manually installing the drivers from the mfr's
CD, but it will not proceed because it doesn't see the card.

I looked into the tech support at the Creative website, and it suggests
that if I have an AGP card installed, I should try moving the sound
card to a non-adjacent PCI slot. I do have an AGP video card; but the
Audigy card is actually two cards (the sound card & a SCSI joystick
card). Only one of these is adjacent to the AGP video card, but XP
isn't detecting either one. I haven't tried swapping the cards around
yet, but I'm skeptical that's going to make a difference.

Assuming the odds that I've bought two dead cards from two different
mfrs is pretty slim, I have to think I have a different problem. Any
suggestions on where I should look next?

TIA,
Joe
11 answers Last reply
More about sound card detected slot

    Did you uninstall the onboard sound in device manager, and any software
    associated with it if any. Reboot, enter CMOS immediately, disable on board
    sound in BIOS, let windows start up. Shutdown and install the Creative card
    and midi/joystick adapter. Reboot and XP should detect the new card.
    Follow Creatives instructions from then on.

    The Audigy 2 ZS is actually one card, not two. The midi/joystick adapter is
    not a card. The actual circuit board card is what the suggesting should not
    be located next to the AGP slot.

    http://us.creative.com/support/downloads/download.asp

    r.

    "rb608" <junkmail608@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > In anticipation of delivery of a new digital camcorder, I've been
    > anxious to get a Firewire port installed on the PC. I bought and
    > installed an Adaptec card, but XP would not detect it. After
    > exhausting the limits of my expertise, I took it to the local PC tech
    > guys who declared that the card was bad (it wouldn't detect in their
    > machine either.) Problem solved; so I thought.
    >
    > Soured on Adaptec products, I instead opted for a Soundblaster Audigy 2
    > ZS card. I figure I only need one 1394 port anyhow, and why not
    > upgrade from the onboard sound while I'm at it. Installed it, booted
    > up, nothing. It doesn't detect either.
    >
    > FWIW, I have already checked the BIOS, and PnP is enabled. I also
    > tried disabling the onboard audio in both Device Manager & the BIOS.
    > No difference. I tried manually installing the drivers from the mfr's
    > CD, but it will not proceed because it doesn't see the card.
    >
    > I looked into the tech support at the Creative website, and it suggests
    > that if I have an AGP card installed, I should try moving the sound
    > card to a non-adjacent PCI slot. I do have an AGP video card; but the
    > Audigy card is actually two cards (the sound card & a SCSI joystick
    > card). Only one of these is adjacent to the AGP video card, but XP
    > isn't detecting either one. I haven't tried swapping the cards around
    > yet, but I'm skeptical that's going to make a difference.
    >
    > Assuming the odds that I've bought two dead cards from two different
    > mfrs is pretty slim, I have to think I have a different problem. Any
    > suggestions on where I should look next?
    >
    > TIA,
    > Joe

    Okay, you lost me on that one. The SCSI adapter I have is a small
    card-like thing that looks to me as though it must go into a PCI slot
    (in addition to the ribbon cable connection.) It has the contacts on
    the bottom & the bracket to fit the case knockouts.

    ??
    Joe

    Right. My bad. I don't own a joystick, so I won't miss the port if I
    don't need to install it.

    Tx,
    Joe

    Uh, make that a joystick port. I seemed to have SCSI on my brain
    today. Same question though.

    Joe

    The first card that 'rb608' was talking about was an Adaptec Firewire card.
    It was deemed to be "bad". Now. 'rb608' seems to have a problem with an
    Audigy 2 ZS, so this is card 2. Total number of cards tried and "seem to be
    bad": 2

    'rb608': How many PCI slots do you have in your PCI? Did you try to get
    the PnP configured with a "Reset" option? Some BIOSes allow you to reset
    PnP configurations.

    "namniar" <this@that> wrote in message
    > Did you uninstall the onboard sound in device manager, and any software
    > associated with it if any. Reboot, enter CMOS immediately, disable on
    > board sound in BIOS, let windows start up. Shutdown and install the
    > Creative card and midi/joystick adapter. Reboot and XP should detect the
    > new card. Follow Creatives instructions from then on.
    >
    > The Audigy 2 ZS is actually one card, not two. The midi/joystick adapter
    > is not a card. The actual circuit board card is what the suggesting
    > should not be located next to the AGP slot.
    >
    > http://us.creative.com/support/downloads/download.asp
    >
    > r.
    >

    > "rb608" <junkmail608@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >> In anticipation of delivery of a new digital camcorder, I've been
    >> anxious to get a Firewire port installed on the PC. I bought and
    >> installed an Adaptec card, but XP would not detect it. After
    >> exhausting the limits of my expertise, I took it to the local PC tech
    >> guys who declared that the card was bad (it wouldn't detect in their
    >> machine either.) Problem solved; so I thought.
    >>
    >> Soured on Adaptec products, I instead opted for a Soundblaster Audigy 2
    >> ZS card. I figure I only need one 1394 port anyhow, and why not
    >> upgrade from the onboard sound while I'm at it. Installed it, booted
    >> up, nothing. It doesn't detect either.
    >>
    >> FWIW, I have already checked the BIOS, and PnP is enabled. I also
    >> tried disabling the onboard audio in both Device Manager & the BIOS.
    >> No difference. I tried manually installing the drivers from the mfr's
    >> CD, but it will not proceed because it doesn't see the card.
    >>
    >> I looked into the tech support at the Creative website, and it suggests
    >> that if I have an AGP card installed, I should try moving the sound
    >> card to a non-adjacent PCI slot. I do have an AGP video card; but the
    >> Audigy card is actually two cards (the sound card & a SCSI joystick
    >> card). Only one of these is adjacent to the AGP video card, but XP
    >> isn't detecting either one. I haven't tried swapping the cards around
    >> yet, but I'm skeptical that's going to make a difference.
    >>
    >> Assuming the odds that I've bought two dead cards from two different
    >> mfrs is pretty slim, I have to think I have a different problem. Any
    >> suggestions on where I should look next?
    >>
    >> TIA,
    >> Joe

    Yves,

    Quote from rb608:
    " ...but the Audigy card is actually two cards (the sound card & a SCSI
    joystick card). "

    Fairly clear to me.

    P.S. rb608:
    Audigy 2 ZS is one card but can take up two pci slots if you use the bracket
    (D-Bracket?) that Creative supplies for the midi/joystick adapter 15 pin
    female housing. For my Audigy 2 ZS I chose not to use the supplied bracket
    and popped out the appropriately sized knock out for the midi/joystick 15
    pin female connector. Therefore it did not take up an otherwise unusable
    pci slot.

    hth

    r.

    > The first card that 'rb608' was talking about was an Adaptec Firewire
    > card. It was deemed to be "bad". Now. 'rb608' seems to have a problem
    > with an Audigy 2 ZS, so this is card 2. Total number of cards tried and
    > "seem to be bad": 2
    >
    > 'rb608': How many PCI slots do you have in your PCI? Did you try to get
    > the PnP configured with a "Reset" option? Some BIOSes allow you to reset
    > PnP configurations.
    >

    > "namniar" <this@that> wrote in message
    >> Did you uninstall the onboard sound in device manager, and any software
    >> associated with it if any. Reboot, enter CMOS immediately, disable on
    >> board sound in BIOS, let windows start up. Shutdown and install the
    >> Creative card and midi/joystick adapter. Reboot and XP should detect the
    >> new card. Follow Creatives instructions from then on.
    >>
    >> The Audigy 2 ZS is actually one card, not two. The midi/joystick adapter
    >> is not a card. The actual circuit board card is what the suggesting
    >> should not be located next to the AGP slot.
    >>
    >> http://us.creative.com/support/downloads/download.asp
    >>
    >> r.
    >>

    >> "rb608" <junkmail608@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >>> In anticipation of delivery of a new digital camcorder, I've been
    >>> anxious to get a Firewire port installed on the PC. I bought and
    >>> installed an Adaptec card, but XP would not detect it. After
    >>> exhausting the limits of my expertise, I took it to the local PC tech
    >>> guys who declared that the card was bad (it wouldn't detect in their
    >>> machine either.) Problem solved; so I thought.
    >>>
    >>> Soured on Adaptec products, I instead opted for a Soundblaster Audigy 2
    >>> ZS card. I figure I only need one 1394 port anyhow, and why not
    >>> upgrade from the onboard sound while I'm at it. Installed it, booted
    >>> up, nothing. It doesn't detect either.
    >>>
    >>> FWIW, I have already checked the BIOS, and PnP is enabled. I also
    >>> tried disabling the onboard audio in both Device Manager & the BIOS.
    >>> No difference. I tried manually installing the drivers from the mfr's
    >>> CD, but it will not proceed because it doesn't see the card.
    >>>
    >>> I looked into the tech support at the Creative website, and it suggests
    >>> that if I have an AGP card installed, I should try moving the sound
    >>> card to a non-adjacent PCI slot. I do have an AGP video card; but the
    >>> Audigy card is actually two cards (the sound card & a SCSI joystick
    >>> card). Only one of these is adjacent to the AGP video card, but XP
    >>> isn't detecting either one. I haven't tried swapping the cards around
    >>> yet, but I'm skeptical that's going to make a difference.
    >>>
    >>> Assuming the odds that I've bought two dead cards from two different
    >>> mfrs is pretty slim, I have to think I have a different problem. Any
    >>> suggestions on where I should look next?
    >>>
    >>> TIA,
    >>> Joe

    Oops, should read as follows: "...the appropriately sized knock out (in the
    case)..."

    r.

    > Comments in-line
    >
    > good luck,

    Apparently luck was not enough (though the stiff drink helped.) Regarding
    a few items I was describing from memory, however, I was a bit incorrect.
    Yes, I do have an AGP card (NVIDEA GeForce4 MX 4000), and it's in an AGP
    slot (brown). No, the game/midi adapter is not on any sort of card, it's
    just on a cover plate (my brain was confusing it with the modem card I took
    out to make room). I have two PCI slots (white).

    I went through all of the steps previously described; but without success.
    Still no card detection. Balls.

    I'm stumped. I guess I'll lug the box up to the local tech shop & have them
    figure it out. This is just too strange for me.

    Thanks for the help just the same.
    Joe

    Double check that the card is seated all the way in the slot. I have had cards that the end comes
    out a little when i put the screw in. All it takes it a little bit out for it not to be seen.

    --
    Dave Vair
    CNE, CNA, MCP, A+, N+

    "rb608" <fleischman608@nospam.verizon.net> wrote in message news:ReXLd.248$uc.199@trnddc05...
    > "namniar" <this@that> wrote in message news:ucRFP79BFHA.1264@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    >> Comments in-line
    >>
    >> good luck,
    >
    > Apparently luck was not enough (though the stiff drink helped.) Regarding a few items I was
    > describing from memory, however, I was a bit incorrect. Yes, I do have an AGP card (NVIDEA
    > GeForce4 MX 4000), and it's in an AGP slot (brown). No, the game/midi adapter is not on any sort
    > of card, it's just on a cover plate (my brain was confusing it with the modem card I took out to
    > make room). I have two PCI slots (white).
    >
    > I went through all of the steps previously described; but without success. Still no card
    > detection. Balls.
    >
    > I'm stumped. I guess I'll lug the box up to the local tech shop & have them figure it out. This
    > is just too strange for me.
    >
    > Thanks for the help just the same.
    > Joe

    > Double check that the card is seated all the way in the slot. I have had
    > cards that the end comes out a little when i put the screw in. All it
    > takes it a little bit out for it not to be seen.

    I don't think so. I leaned on it pretty firmly; and it's been the same
    result in two different slots and on several different tries. It seems to
    seat well.

    It wouldn't surprise me at all though if after mustering all the best tech
    minds, the solution was something that simple.

    Tx,
    Joe

    Sorry it didn't work.

    r.

> [...]