Kt4 +barton xp 2600 + generic pc3200 memory problems

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
June 25, 2004 7:50:53 PM

Hi all

I got a kt4 ultra with latest bios and 2600 xp barton core
running rather nice on a stick of 128mb 2700 ddr memory
I then decided I needed more memory so I though future proof
and get a stick of generic pc3200 ddr .....

I put it after removing the other memory and started to get random
crashes....so when I reads into it I finds the msi memory matrix on the site
saying about running the pc3200 memory at 400 mhz will only work
on this board with certain brands...so mine aint supported......its 512 mb
and
its made by matrix ?? whoever that is

anyway anybody know of any way to get this stick to work......
would this work at 333 mhz in my board and avoid the 400 mhz problem ?

or am I stuck with unsupported ram ???

thanks for any help

Lee
Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
June 25, 2004 9:41:04 PM

You have to run it at 333 if your FSB is 166. That's just the way it is.
The KT4 boards were rushed, I think the kt400a chipset doesn't have this
problem. BTW, you can use both sticks at once now. :)
"Lee" <barlow2000@NOSPAMbarlow2000.karoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi all
>
> I got a kt4 ultra with latest bios and 2600 xp barton core
> running rather nice on a stick of 128mb 2700 ddr memory
> I then decided I needed more memory so I though future proof
> and get a stick of generic pc3200 ddr .....
>
> I put it after removing the other memory and started to get random
> crashes....so when I reads into it I finds the msi memory matrix on the
site
> saying about running the pc3200 memory at 400 mhz will only work
> on this board with certain brands...so mine aint supported......its 512 mb
> and
> its made by matrix ?? whoever that is
>
> anyway anybody know of any way to get this stick to work......
> would this work at 333 mhz in my board and avoid the 400 mhz problem ?
>
> or am I stuck with unsupported ram ???
>
> thanks for any help
>

> Lee

June 26, 2004 1:31:56 AM

thanks for the response bud

I just get problems running it at 333 ... I have more joy trying it at 400
mhz
I reckon my board does not like the generic ram :(

"Philburg2" <philburg2@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> You have to run it at 333 if your FSB is 166. That's just the way it is.
> The KT4 boards were rushed, I think the kt400a chipset doesn't have this
> problem. BTW, you can use both sticks at once now. :)
> "Lee" <barlow2000@NOSPAMbarlow2000.karoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> > Hi all
> >
> > I got a kt4 ultra with latest bios and 2600 xp barton core
> > running rather nice on a stick of 128mb 2700 ddr memory
> > I then decided I needed more memory so I though future proof
> > and get a stick of generic pc3200 ddr .....
> >
> > I put it after removing the other memory and started to get random
> > crashes....so when I reads into it I finds the msi memory matrix on the
> site
> > saying about running the pc3200 memory at 400 mhz will only work
> > on this board with certain brands...so mine aint supported......its 512
mb
> > and
> > its made by matrix ?? whoever that is
> >
> > anyway anybody know of any way to get this stick to work......
> > would this work at 333 mhz in my board and avoid the 400 mhz problem ?
> >
> > or am I stuck with unsupported ram ???
> >
> > thanks for any help
> >

> > Lee

Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
July 1, 2004 4:09:55 AM

Download a copy of memtest86(google it) this will find any errors with your
memory.
Also it can help if you raise the memory voltage from the default of 2.5v to
say 2.8v if your mobo supports this.
Raising the voltage has made my system stable with some generic
PC3200........

"Lee" <barlow2000@NOSPAMbarlow2000.karoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi all
>
> I got a kt4 ultra with latest bios and 2600 xp barton core
> running rather nice on a stick of 128mb 2700 ddr memory
> I then decided I needed more memory so I though future proof
> and get a stick of generic pc3200 ddr .....
>
> I put it after removing the other memory and started to get random
> crashes....so when I reads into it I finds the msi memory matrix on the
site
> saying about running the pc3200 memory at 400 mhz will only work
> on this board with certain brands...so mine aint supported......its 512 mb
> and
> its made by matrix ?? whoever that is
>
> anyway anybody know of any way to get this stick to work......
> would this work at 333 mhz in my board and avoid the 400 mhz problem ?
>
> or am I stuck with unsupported ram ???
>
> thanks for any help
>

> Lee

---