K7N2 Delta-L and Antec Sonata Case

Just built up a new system with K7N2 Delta-L and Antec's Sonata Quiet
case. Main problem is a bit high system temps. PCAlert and Sandra
report system temp @ 40C and CPU temp @ 55C when idle. I have a Athlon
2800 retail w/factory fan.

The Sonata case comes with a 380w supply. The fan on it is blowing into
the case rather than out. The secondary 120mm case fan is blowing out.
The case has a foam air filter on the front of the case which leads me
to believe the power supply fan is blowing backwards and maybe
contributing to the slightly higher than expected temps.

Anyone with the Sonata case that can confirm the power supply fan direction?
4 answers Last reply
More about k7n2 delta antec sonata case

    "Miles" <unknown@unlistedspam.com> wrote in message

    > Just built up a new system with K7N2 Delta-L and Antec's Sonata Quiet
    > case. Main problem is a bit high system temps. PCAlert and Sandra
    > report system temp @ 40C and CPU temp @ 55C when idle. I have a Athlon
    > 2800 retail w/factory fan.
    >
    > The Sonata case comes with a 380w supply. The fan on it is blowing into
    > the case rather than out. The secondary 120mm case fan is blowing out.
    > The case has a foam air filter on the front of the case which leads me
    > to believe the power supply fan is blowing backwards and maybe
    > contributing to the slightly higher than expected temps.
    >
    > Anyone with the Sonata case that can confirm the power supply fan
    direction?

    Sorry I can't comment on the case, but it's my understanding that this mobo
    gives somewhat higher temp readings than most. I.E. More accurate readings
    IMO...I have 42C system and 51C cpu at idle. I use the Nvidia system
    utility but MBM5 reads even higher.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

    Miles wrote:

    > Just built up a new system with K7N2 Delta-L and Antec's Sonata Quiet
    > case. Main problem is a bit high system temps. PCAlert and Sandra
    > report system temp @ 40C and CPU temp @ 55C when idle. I have a Athlon
    > 2800 retail w/factory fan.
    >
    > The Sonata case comes with a 380w supply. The fan on it is blowing into
    > the case rather than out. The secondary 120mm case fan is blowing out.
    > The case has a foam air filter on the front of the case which leads me
    > to believe the power supply fan is blowing backwards and maybe
    > contributing to the slightly higher than expected temps.
    >
    > Anyone with the Sonata case that can confirm the power supply fan
    > direction?

    I just built two different systems (different MoBos and components)
    using Sonata cases. On both, the ps fans blow out.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

    Could be that you have negative pressure inside the case.
    In other words it could be that the exhaust fan is pulling more air out of
    the case than the intake fans can keep up with causing a slight suction on
    the PSU drawing out heat.
    Might try slowing down the exhaust fan or speeding up the intake fans.
    It would be better to have a slight positive pressure in the case by
    increasing the intake air flow in the front of the case (higher CFM fan(s)).
    If you remove the foam filter be prepared to blow out the dust every so
    often.

    "Miles" <unknown@unlistedspam.com> wrote in message

    > Just built up a new system with K7N2 Delta-L and Antec's Sonata Quiet
    > case. Main problem is a bit high system temps. PCAlert and Sandra
    > report system temp @ 40C and CPU temp @ 55C when idle. I have a Athlon
    > 2800 retail w/factory fan.
    >
    > The Sonata case comes with a 380w supply. The fan on it is blowing into
    > the case rather than out. The secondary 120mm case fan is blowing out.
    > The case has a foam air filter on the front of the case which leads me
    > to believe the power supply fan is blowing backwards and maybe
    > contributing to the slightly higher than expected temps.
    >
    > Anyone with the Sonata case that can confirm the power supply fan
    direction?

  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

    The board just reads the cpu temp more accurately than most. It's not a
    problem. Since everyone was freaking when the board came out the 5.1 BIOS
    modified the tempurature detection, not the actually temp just the reading.
    Big deal, they changed it back with 5.3. It used to read stupid, like 45
    system and 41 CPU with the modified BIOS, like that makes sense.

    1. This is Award BIOS release.
    2. This BIOS fixes the following problems of the previous version:
    - Shows current systems memory channel information
    - Modifies CPU temperature detection
    - Fixes NVIDIA FX5800 & FX5900 compatibility issue
    Note: This BIOS cannot be used on K7N2 Delta-ILSR(MS-6570-030).

    "Rusty" <rlsmith004@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Could be that you have negative pressure inside the case.
    > In other words it could be that the exhaust fan is pulling more air out of
    > the case than the intake fans can keep up with causing a slight suction on
    > the PSU drawing out heat.
    > Might try slowing down the exhaust fan or speeding up the intake fans.
    > It would be better to have a slight positive pressure in the case by
    > increasing the intake air flow in the front of the case (higher CFM
    fan(s)).
    > If you remove the foam filter be prepared to blow out the dust every so
    > often.
    >
    > "Miles" <unknown@unlistedspam.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Just built up a new system with K7N2 Delta-L and Antec's Sonata Quiet
    > > case. Main problem is a bit high system temps. PCAlert and Sandra
    > > report system temp @ 40C and CPU temp @ 55C when idle. I have a Athlon
    > > 2800 retail w/factory fan.
    > >
    > > The Sonata case comes with a 380w supply. The fan on it is blowing into
    > > the case rather than out. The secondary 120mm case fan is blowing out.
    > > The case has a foam air filter on the front of the case which leads me
    > > to believe the power supply fan is blowing backwards and maybe
    > > contributing to the slightly higher than expected temps.
    > >
    > > Anyone with the Sonata case that can confirm the power supply fan
    > direction?

MSI-Microstar Power Supplies Fan Cases Antec Motherboards