How to get MAME to run a new ROM variant of a supported ga..

Please forgive the newbie question, as I'm sure the answer is buried
somewhere in the literature. I was the original programmer of the Star Fire
arcade game, which MAME will emulate (MAME knows about two variants of the
Star Fire ROMs). I found in my archives what *might* be the final Star Fire
ROM set (Exidy wanted a "Star Fire II" version near the end of the run), but
of course MAME doesn't recognize it and won't emulate it. I've decoded the
data into 12 ROM files and zipped them into starfirb.zip, so the package
looks pretty much like the existing (supported) Star Fire variants. Now how
can I get MAME to run this new version so I can see whether it really works?
7 answers Last reply
More about mame variant supported

    "Talkin Horse" <davidrolfeN0SP&AM@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > I've decoded the data into 12 ROM files and zipped them into starfirb.zip,
    so the package
    > looks pretty much like the existing (supported) Star Fire variants. Now
    how
    > can I get MAME to run this new version so I can see whether it really
    works?

    Get ahold of the source and "roll your own"

    Or e-mail one of the DEVS...not sure who they are, but some hang out at the
    forums on www.mame.net.

    "Talkin Horse" <davidrolfeN0SP&AM@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > Please forgive the newbie question, as I'm sure the answer is buried
    > somewhere in the literature. I was the original programmer of the Star
    Fire
    > arcade game, which MAME will emulate (MAME knows about two variants of the
    > Star Fire ROMs). I found in my archives what *might* be the final Star
    Fire
    > ROM set (Exidy wanted a "Star Fire II" version near the end of the run),
    but
    > of course MAME doesn't recognize it and won't emulate it. I've decoded the
    > data into 12 ROM files and zipped them into starfirb.zip, so the package
    > looks pretty much like the existing (supported) Star Fire variants. Now
    how
    > can I get MAME to run this new version so I can see whether it really
    works?

    The filenames for each rom have to match. You have to match up each of your
    new roms to an old rom. You will get a checksum error but you can ignore
    it. I usually don't zip them up when I'm playing with roms, I just put them
    in a folder with the name of the romset in the roms folder.

    If for some reason you can't. i.e., it's bigger, and you have an extra rom,
    you will need to compile a new version. I can help you with that if you
    need it.

    Dave

    ---

    Talking Horse wrote:
    > Please forgive the newbie question, as I'm sure the answer is buried
    > somewhere in the literature. I was the original programmer of the Star Fire
    > arcade game, which MAME will emulate (MAME knows about two variants of the
    > Star Fire ROMs). I found in my archives what *might* be the final Star Fire
    > ROM set (Exidy wanted a "Star Fire II" version near the end of the run), but
    > of course MAME doesn't recognize it and won't emulate it. I've decoded the
    > data into 12 ROM files and zipped them into starfirb.zip, so the package
    > looks pretty much like the existing (supported) Star Fire variants. Now how
    > can I get MAME to run this new version so I can see whether it really works?

    WOW! Talk about a coincidence! I was just talking to one of the
    programmers for 'Punky Doodle' and '9-Ball Shootout' (the 1994(!)
    version) last night. He's going to see if he has anything left from
    when he was developing.

    --
    Thnik about it!
    Dead_Dad

    "Dead_Dad" <XXXspamtrap007@yahoo.comXXX> wrote in message
    > WOW! Talk about a coincidence! I was just talking to one of the
    > programmers for 'Punky Doodle' and '9-Ball Shootout' (the 1994(!) version)
    > last night. He's going to see if he has anything left from when he was
    > developing.

    I corresponded with another poster in this thread, who actually got the ROM
    to run! So I guess we've got a viable Star Fire II ROM set, which I hope
    will be enjoyed by the connoisseurs...

    1994, you say? Star Fire was born in 1977! (Although it didn't hit the
    market until a few years after that.)

    Talkin Horse wrote:
    > "Dead_Dad" <XXXspamtrap007@yahoo.comXXX> wrote in message
    >
    >>WOW! Talk about a coincidence! I was just talking to one of the
    >>programmers for 'Punky Doodle' and '9-Ball Shootout' (the 1994(!) version)
    >>last night. He's going to see if he has anything left from when he was
    >>developing.
    >

    > I corresponded with another poster in this thread, who actually got the ROM
    > to run! So I guess we've got a viable Star Fire II ROM set, which I hope
    > will be enjoyed by the connoisseurs...
    >
    > 1994, you say? Star Fire was born in 1977! (Although it didn't hit the
    > market until a few years after that.)

    Ah, Star Fire. A truly /classic/ game. I'm looking forward to playing
    SF2(hehehe). BTW, the signifigance of the 1994 is that MAME only has
    the CoolPool & 9BS /1993/ versions. The guy I was talking to didn't
    even join the company until 1994. It will be interesting to see what
    improvements were made.

    --
    Thnik about it!
    Dead_Dad

    On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 04:16:34 GMT, "Talkin Horse"
    <davidrolfeN0SP&AM@earthlink.net> wrote:

    >"Dead_Dad" <XXXspamtrap007@yahoo.comXXX> wrote in message
    >> WOW! Talk about a coincidence! I was just talking to one of the
    >> programmers for 'Punky Doodle' and '9-Ball Shootout' (the 1994(!) version)
    >> last night. He's going to see if he has anything left from when he was
    >> developing.
    >
    >I corresponded with another poster in this thread, who actually got the ROM
    >to run! So I guess we've got a viable Star Fire II ROM set, which I hope
    >will be enjoyed by the connoisseurs...
    >
    >1994, you say? Star Fire was born in 1977! (Although it didn't hit the
    >market until a few years after that.)

    Awesome work there! It looks like it's already been included in
    ..94u1. Thanks for your contributions to the community!
  7. Blast from the past - I was one of the other programmers on "punky doodle". Ian (ffthack@gmail.com)

    Quote:

    WOW! Talk about a coincidence! I was just talking to one of the
    programmers for 'Punky Doodle' and '9-Ball Shootout' (the 1994(!)
    version) last night. He's going to see if he has anything left from
    when he was developing.

    --
    Thnik about it!
    Dead_Dad