JOJO

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi all...need a bit of advice.
I have an external hard drive with a usb connection connect to my laptop
(windows XP)
It is listed in the device listing. It is also listed by product name in the
"connected devises"
listing. But, I cannot access or see the drive.
My computer only shows my existing c: drive and my cd writer....
How do I gain access to this external device?

Thanks,
jojo

JOJO

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"jojo" <cgv_2000*SPAM*@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi all...need a bit of advice.
> I have an external hard drive with a usb connection connect to my laptop
> (windows XP)
> It is listed in the device listing. It is also listed by product name in
the
> "connected devises"
> listing. But, I cannot access or see the drive.
> My computer only shows my existing c: drive and my cd writer....
> How do I gain access to this external device?
>
> Thanks,
> jojo

sorry folks, thought I would add a few more details.
The external hard drive is jumpered to master (says to in the instructions)
The hard drive works (I can hear it running)
I have access disk management but the drive is not shown there.

Thanks,
jojo

bar

How do you know if the device is properly installed?
What do you mean by 'connected devices'?
Did Windows install device drivers on the first occasion that the USB case
was attached to the PC?

If not shown under 'disk management' then consider that:
a: The external case / hard drive is not properly configured
b: The hard drive is a size not manageable by your BIOS. Some Mobos will
not identify an external USB case / hard drive, where the drive is > 40Gb.
This may be an issue with either the BIOS or the USB case itself, I have
found this problem where my clients have bought very cheap units.

"jojo" wrote:

> "jojo" <cgv_2000*SPAM*@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Hi all...need a bit of advice.
> > I have an external hard drive with a usb connection connect to my laptop
> > (windows XP)
> > It is listed in the device listing. It is also listed by product name in
> the
> > "connected devises"
> > listing. But, I cannot access or see the drive.
> > My computer only shows my existing c: drive and my cd writer....
> > How do I gain access to this external device?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > jojo
> >

> sorry folks, thought I would add a few more details.
> The external hard drive is jumpered to master (says to in the instructions)
> The hard drive works (I can hear it running)
> I have access disk management but the drive is not shown there.
>
> Thanks,
> jojo

JOJO

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

under "my computer" properties there are 2 ways to list devices.
Either a list of configured devices or listed as "connected devices"
As long as it's connected, it shows in both. The type and model
are listed in "connect devices".
This hard drive is 20 GB.
What please is a Mobos?

Thanks for your time,
jojo

This is the case:
USB 2.0 3.5 inch External Hard Drive Enclosure
Manufacturer: FMI
Mfg Part #: 070538
Product Number: 312100
$39.99

jojo

> How do you know if the device is properly installed?
> What do you mean by 'connected devices'?
> Did Windows install device drivers on the first occasion that the USB case
> was attached to the PC?
>
> If not shown under 'disk management' then consider that:
> a: The external case / hard drive is not properly configured
> b: The hard drive is a size not manageable by your BIOS. Some Mobos will
> not identify an external USB case / hard drive, where the drive is > 40Gb.
> This may be an issue with either the BIOS or the USB case itself, I have
> found this problem where my clients have bought very cheap units.
>

> "jojo" wrote:
>

> > "jojo" <cgv_2000*SPAM*@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi all...need a bit of advice.
> > > I have an external hard drive with a usb connection connect to my
laptop
> > > (windows XP)
> > > It is listed in the device listing. It is also listed by product name
in
> > the
> > > "connected devises"
> > > listing. But, I cannot access or see the drive.
> > > My computer only shows my existing c: drive and my cd writer....
> > > How do I gain access to this external device?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > jojo
> > >

> > sorry folks, thought I would add a few more details.
> > The external hard drive is jumpered to master (says to in the
instructions)
> > The hard drive works (I can hear it running)
> > I have access disk management but the drive is not shown there.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > jojo

MOBOS == short hand for MOtherBOoardS.

> under "my computer" properties there are 2 ways to list devices.
> Either a list of configured devices or listed as "connected devices"
> As long as it's connected, it shows in both. The type and model
> are listed in "connect devices".
> This hard drive is 20 GB.
> What please is a Mobos?
>
> Thanks for your time,
> jojo
>
> This is the case:
> USB 2.0 3.5 inch External Hard Drive Enclosure
> Manufacturer: FMI
> Mfg Part #: 070538
> Product Number: 312100
> $39.99
>
> jojo
>

> "BAR" <BAR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> How do you know if the device is properly installed?
>> What do you mean by 'connected devices'?
>> Did Windows install device drivers on the first occasion that the USB
>> case
>> was attached to the PC?
>>
>> If not shown under 'disk management' then consider that:
>> a: The external case / hard drive is not properly configured
>> b: The hard drive is a size not manageable by your BIOS. Some Mobos will
>> not identify an external USB case / hard drive, where the drive is >
>> 40Gb.
>> This may be an issue with either the BIOS or the USB case itself, I have
>> found this problem where my clients have bought very cheap units.
>>

>> "jojo" wrote:
>>

>> > "jojo" <cgv_2000*SPAM*@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> laptop
> in
>> > the

>> > sorry folks, thought I would add a few more details.
>> > The external hard drive is jumpered to master (says to in the
> instructions)
>> > The hard drive works (I can hear it running)
>> > I have access disk management but the drive is not shown there.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > jojo

peter

Hi,

Right click My computer/Manage/Disk Management.
Left click disk management, can you see "removeable mass storage device" in
the lower right pane?
If yes, right click on it and select format/partition the drive, assign a
drive letter as well.

Hope it helps.

Peter

"jojo" wrote:

> Hi all...need a bit of advice.
> I have an external hard drive with a usb connection connect to my laptop
> (windows XP)
> It is listed in the device listing. It is also listed by product name in the
> "connected devises"
> listing. But, I cannot access or see the drive.
> My computer only shows my existing c: drive and my cd writer....
> How do I gain access to this external device?
>
> Thanks,
> jojo

JOJO

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Nope, It's not there.
When I check the devices it and my internal hard drive are both listed,
but under disk management it is not.

jojo

> Hi,
>
> Right click My computer/Manage/Disk Management.
> Left click disk management, can you see "removeable mass storage device"
in
> the lower right pane?
> If yes, right click on it and select format/partition the drive, assign a
> drive letter as well.
>
> Hope it helps.
>
> Peter
>

> "jojo" wrote:
>
> > Hi all...need a bit of advice.
> > I have an external hard drive with a usb connection connect to my laptop
> > (windows XP)
> > It is listed in the device listing. It is also listed by product name in
the
> > "connected devises"
> > listing. But, I cannot access or see the drive.
> > My computer only shows my existing c: drive and my cd writer....
> > How do I gain access to this external device?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > jojo

JOJO

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

After looking at the hard drive it says MAXTOR 7120AT
So I'm assuming that it is a 120mg drive (very small)
I can easily get a 40+ gb drive for the case. Question is, now how do I
access the data on the 7120AT? There are things on that drive I would like
to access,
if only to move them to another disk, or burn them.
Thanks,
jojo

> How do you know if the device is properly installed?
> What do you mean by 'connected devices'?
> Did Windows install device drivers on the first occasion that the USB case
> was attached to the PC?
>
> If not shown under 'disk management' then consider that:
> a: The external case / hard drive is not properly configured
> b: The hard drive is a size not manageable by your BIOS. Some Mobos will
> not identify an external USB case / hard drive, where the drive is > 40Gb.
> This may be an issue with either the BIOS or the USB case itself, I have
> found this problem where my clients have bought very cheap units.
>

> "jojo" wrote:
>

> > "jojo" <cgv_2000*SPAM*@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi all...need a bit of advice.
> > > I have an external hard drive with a usb connection connect to my
laptop
> > > (windows XP)
> > > It is listed in the device listing. It is also listed by product name
in
> > the
> > > "connected devises"
> > > listing. But, I cannot access or see the drive.
> > > My computer only shows my existing c: drive and my cd writer....
> > > How do I gain access to this external device?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > jojo
> > >

> > sorry folks, thought I would add a few more details.
> > The external hard drive is jumpered to master (says to in the
instructions)
> > The hard drive works (I can hear it running)
> > I have access disk management but the drive is not shown there.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > jojo

TRENDING THREADS