CD drive no longer recognizing disks

Hi

I have a new Dell desktop and am having troubles with the CD drive
recognizing CDs - audio and software installation.

When I got the PC I added in an older parallel port card. I also
installed some older software - the CD drive worked then.

Today when I started up the PC it noticed the parallel port card and
asked about drivers for it. I found some on the net at the manufacturers
site - listed for XP. It installed those drivers. The port still did not
work. When I rebooted I got an error screen reporting an update failure
or incompatibility. While thinking about it, I guess it timed out an did
a normal startup. On the next reboot, I chose the backup the
configuration option (something to that effect).

Later when I tried to use the CD drive, it did not react to putting a
installation CD in (not for the parallel port card) nor did it recognize
(automatically play) an audio CD. My computer shows the drive but thinks
there is no CD in it. The trouble shooter did not help at all.

I took the parallel port card out and uninstalled it in the device
manager. Still no reaction to CDs in the CD drive.

What next?

Brent
--
Victoria, B.C.

Hi Brent,
I have the same problem with my CD drive not recognizing CDs. I have it set
on auto play, but it does not.
There is a way that you can go to start/ run and type a command. I used it
once before, but have lost that command. Do you or anyone else out there
have that command to run the CD drive?

Thanks, Ray Block

"Brent Beach" wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have a new Dell desktop and am having troubles with the CD drive
> recognizing CDs - audio and software installation.
>
> When I got the PC I added in an older parallel port card. I also
> installed some older software - the CD drive worked then.
>
> Today when I started up the PC it noticed the parallel port card and
> asked about drivers for it. I found some on the net at the manufacturers
> site - listed for XP. It installed those drivers. The port still did not
> work. When I rebooted I got an error screen reporting an update failure
> or incompatibility. While thinking about it, I guess it timed out an did
> a normal startup. On the next reboot, I chose the backup the
> configuration option (something to that effect).
>
> Later when I tried to use the CD drive, it did not react to putting a
> installation CD in (not for the parallel port card) nor did it recognize
> (automatically play) an audio CD. My computer shows the drive but thinks
> there is no CD in it. The trouble shooter did not help at all.
>
> I took the parallel port card out and uninstalled it in the device
> manager. Still no reaction to CDs in the CD drive.
>
> What next?
>
> Brent
> --
> Victoria, B.C.

Hello Brent, I also have the same problem. I was told there is a way to
start the drive by going to start/run and typing in a command to run it. Do
you or anyone else know what that command is?

Thanks, rayblock2